Rule 12.5.5 states: "During the beach landing phases, they can use their Defense Factor of (1) as an attaack factor to fire upon adjacent enemy units during the GERMAN DEFENSIVE FIRE PHASE".
Rule 18.5 Allied Fire Segment states:
"Artillery Support: Artillery units may not fire until they land".
The first rule seems to imply that is's only the German player's arty units that can fire during the beach landing phases while the second rule implies that Allied arty can fire when they land.
1. Which one is true? Or am I misreading the rules?
2. And: Airborne arty lands on its moved side (and thus get no chance to fire at the Airborne combat segment?). But arty in the beach assault don't?
3. German Defensive Fire Segment. In this phase the German player can target airborne units as well? In effect causing two shots in a row (one from the German Airborn Reaction Combat Phase and one now). Obviously the Allied player can move his airborne units a hex away during the Allied Landing Segment.
4. Allied Fire Segment: Can the Airborne units conduct fire combat as well?
I suspect the answer to these last questions are both yes but I would like to be fully confident that it is so.
Sorry for all the questions.
1. 18.5 encompasses all Allied units; in other words, you cannot fire artillery units in the landing queue at any time during the game.
2. All towed artillery units land (via glider or at the beach) on their "Moved" side.
SP artillery units do not, but it's very doubtful that you'd have the min. range to fire anyway.
3. The airborne reaction phase only happens once. When you move to the landing phase, you follow that Sequence of Play. (one German fire)
4. Yes (18.5 step 1)
No need to apologize, ask away!