Here's an interesting idea that I had:

Say had a simple Crisis Card

Difficulty=10
Pass=Nothing
Fail=-1 Morale

what would happen if you introduced a Mid-Pass resolution that was more severe than the fail resolution, and have the Mid-Pass strength be relatively close to the difficulty:

CRISIS 1:
Difficulty=10
Pass=Nothing
8+ = -2 Morale
Fail= -1 Morale

Normally you would expect a Mid-Pass resolution to be a less severe form of the Fail resolution. In the case above

CRISIS 2:
Difficulty=10
Pass=Nothing
8+ = -1 Morale
Fail= -2 Morale

Now in Crisis 2, you (speaking from now on as the group that gains from passing the check) are always rewarded for adding cards to the check-well more precisely you are never penalized for adding more cards to the check. In contrast in Crisis 1, you may be penalized for adding more cards to the skill check.

Suppose you have resigned to the fact that you wish to see no more than a -1 Morale loss. In Crisis 1 it is trivial to achieve (modulo the destiny deck)--you add no cards to the check. In Crisis 2 you would have to add cards but in some sense treat the effective difficulty of the crisis as an 8.

Now if the objective is to pass the check, then in Crisis 2 you would do the normal thing and add enough cards that you think will push you over the difficulty--the "you think" part is obviously a huge variable and goes to the player perception of risk (of giving up cards) vs. reward (of having no penalty). In Crisis 2 the same mechanism applies, however, the introduction of a harsh mid-pass condition would most likely cause more cards to be added to the check because it is more severe to almost pass the check than it would be in Crisis 1.

Of course the choices are very perceptional so the whole mechanic here might be speculative, but I think it at least has the potential to change the Risk/Reward consideration on these skill checks.

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little vague on your intention here...

But while I wouldn't see a problem with the occasional crisis like this, as a change of pace, if it became a common thing, I think it would simply force the players to be more rigorous in only attempting checks in which they can guarantee success. They wouldn't ever attempt anything where they "might get lucky", because the added risk is too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.