Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out not too long ago in a game I played, and it worked well. I think it also can be tailored to fit how you want to play the game too.

Normally, a player rolls attack dice and the monster defends, and vice versa. One side either hits (and does damage), or doesn't. But what if one side defends so well — and the other fumbles so terribly — that the defender could score a hit?

So I tried this:

Attacker rolls. If the attacker rolls NO skulls, and the defender rolls two or more shields, the attacker takes damage.

How much can be up to you. If you want a game where even the lowliest monster can score hits on a bad hero roll, make each shield count. Maybe divide the damage in two (round up) if you want it a littler easier.

The variant I used helped make it easier initially for the players, since none of us had played since the early '90s. (The variant only applied with the heroes were defending, and not the other way around.)

To put it in cinematic terms, the attacker could swing with all their might, missing by a hair...and the defender could quickly get a jab in.

Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer rules that allow the defender to score hits. It adds more tension to the combat and gives a beleaguered defender hope to pull off the improbable victory or a meaningful sacrifice. The additional cinematic flair is important in a game like this.

Thanks for sharing your variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy B
msg tools

Personally, I find this game difficult for heroes. Battle usually comes down to sheer chance in the roll of the dice. Sometimes the monsters go down in one bout, but most of the time I find that the heroes drop like flies before the quest is over (or before every room has been cleared).

So I want to try this variation, and I was wondering if anyone else has tried this already:
Monsters simply roll one less attack die and/or one less defend die (but never less than one).

This is strictly statistical, which a huge portion of this game succumbs to for better or for worse. Honestly, a single goblin could kill all four heroes out of the gate - unlikely but possible. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy B
msg tools
I'll reply to myself...

I played with some friends (as Zargon) and I rolled one less die for both attacking and defending (but never less than 1) and it went much better.

So I'd recommend this house rule to anyone struggling to keep heroes alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.