Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought after the Peace Talks posting, things had settled....I guess not.

This was the first story on the front page on Yahoo.com right now.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bloody_board_game

I didn't read the original story, but caught a lot of the after action reporting. Someone else more in the know will have to comment on whether or not this was more balanced. Certainly the title and the subject phrase of the web link appears to be one-sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, it's more balanced than the stories that ran a few weeks ago. The story does start with a few eye-catching sentences on violence and "snuffing out" villages, but the tone improves to a better balance at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Graham
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the Yahoo article. It looks like some reporter just read the previous stories about the hub-bub and wrote the article entirely based on them. There is nothing in the story that hasn't already been reported, since there have been no more actual protests since the ones in March and really nothing else since the meeting between the game designer and Pr. Jennings of the native American group. Slow news day meets lazy reporter, I guess.

If this article helps get more pre-orders for KPW so that my own pre-order will come to fruition soon, write on, lazy Yahoo-news reporter- write on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Graham wrote:
If this article helps get more pre-orders for KPW so that my own pre-order will come to fruition soon, write on, lazy Yahoo-news reporter- write on!

LOL... well said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like 10 extra pre orders just in a few hours. Who knows this may push it over the top when the news gets out there more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong assumption, Jamie. The AP reporter has been working with me over the past week, returning again and again for verification of information. He and the photographer sent out from Baltimore were both intrigued by the educational aspect of our hobby and over all, I as the designer think that he showed much more balance. It was nice to have an article end on a POSITIVE note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the article itself is OK, but of course it contains quotes from people who probably haven't seen the game and I assume know nothing about it. For example, John, has "O'ta'mah Harjetta, a member of the Cheyenne tribe who lives in Shawnee, Okla" seen the game? If not, why did the writer stir the pot by including that quote?

But either way, I love how completely nuts most of the user responses are on Yahoo. It seems like whatever your beef is with the world, it is some how connected to this game.

A few months ago, when a poll was released showing that most Americans graduating from high school knew very little about American history, all the posts were about how this is because "of all the teachers unions that must be destroyed," "Obama in the White House," "illegal immigrants not learning anything," "video games and cell phones that have turned our brains to mush," "Jews/Blacks/Native Americans/Whites/[insert ethnic group here]," etc.

Apparently we've become Outrage Nation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:
Yes, the article itself is OK, but of course it contains quotes from people who probably haven't seen the game and I assume know nothing about it. For example, John, has "O'ta'mah Harjetta, a member of the Cheyenne tribe who lives in Shawnee, Okla" seen the game? If not, why did the writer stir the pot by including that quote?

But either way, I love how completely nuts most of the user responses are on Yahoo. It seems like whatever your beef is with the world, it is some how connected to this game.

A few months ago, when a poll was released showing that most Americans graduating from high school knew very little about American history, all the posts were about how this is because "of all the teachers unions that must be destroyed," "Obama in the White House," "illegal immigrants not learning anything," "video games and cell phones that have turned our brains to mush," "Jews/Blacks/Native Americans/Whites/[insert ethnic group here]," etc.

Apparently we've become Outrage Nation!

No, it's the age of "blame someone else."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It was nice to have an article end on a POSITIVE note.

Shame that most will never get to the end or have already made up their mind after the first paragraph... just look at the ignorant comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Dickerson
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
Wrong assumption, Jamie. The AP reporter has been working with me over the past week, returning again and again for verification of information. He and the photographer sent out from Baltimore were both intrigued by the educational aspect of our hobby and over all, I as the designer think that he showed much more balance. It was nice to have an article end on a POSITIVE note.

Very glad to hear the reporter did their due diligence......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
Wrong assumption, Jamie. The AP reporter has been working with me over the past week, returning again and again for verification of information. He and the photographer sent out from Baltimore were both intrigued by the educational aspect of our hobby and over all, I as the designer think that he showed much more balance. It was nice to have an article end on a POSITIVE note.:D

John, I have to say that I had never heard of this conflict (prior to seeing it on MMP's p500 list), but that I am interested in learning more about it - both through your game and additional reading on the subject. And isn't that the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Andy, that was the point. Interestingly enough, the New England tribes wanted to have more people to recognize their culture and their history for what it truly is ... it's happening.

Oh and Thomas, you left out mung bean sprouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that this lady

Julianne Jennings

Is the one to blame in many ways. If you want to send a message of being a little too PC, especially if you have Native American blood, perhaps you should organize an email protest to her explaining your differences with her point of view and why she shouldn't be organizing a protest?

At least the article points out that she was the one that organized a protest a month ago, and it seems she may be the one most likely to be responsible. Perhaps ask why she hasn't protested the half a million wargames on WWII over the past 50 years, when you had 7 million Jews in the holocause, and millions of people killed in the war itself on a much greater scale.

Or why she hasn't protested any of the games that have come out dealing with war, or even on a more mass market scale the game of Risk in which you can take over the Americas from elsewhere.

Also perhaps you can ask if she likes to stifle education and others learning about events in the US? She seems to say it can be an education tool with the right background, but then, what other protests has she created in relation to all things historical which put things in a much worse light in relation to the Indians...let's say...a LOT of the cowboy and Indian movies of the mid 20th century?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Graham
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about making assumptions about the AP writer, John. I'm glad that the article ended on a good note and mentions that you spoke with Pr. Jennings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, it appears that professor Jennings is a very intelligent lady who cares about her people. It appears that she wants them to be recognized for what they are, the original landlords of all you survey, a people who understood much when the European understood little. Don't belittle her for standing up for what little the Indian has left. Recognize her courage. Yeah, we might see things in a different light ... but nothing will ever change if we don't try to see what other see as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/516252/wargaming-gets-na...-

Also discussed in the wargaming forum (thead link above).

Best of luck with your game, John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I just replied on Yahoo.

I'm this close to pre-ordering this game, but my wargaming opportunities are very limited. Still very tempted. I've been to the MMP pre-order page twice now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
This story is apparently Associated Press, not just Yahoo

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hBQ1g2oboz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
tesuji wrote:
I just replied on Yahoo.

I'm this close to pre-ordering this game, but my wargaming opportunities are very limited. Still very tempted. I've been to the MMP pre-order page twice now....

I enjoyed the game solo. Worth considering especially with the low price tag.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Avila
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go with god, and fight like the devil
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Looks like 10 extra pre orders just in a few hours. Who knows this may push it over the top when the news gets out there more

I'd no idea there was a game on this topic until I heard about all the furor...put in my pre-order the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading a bit over 600 of the comments, it appears that those that thought the subject offensive equated the game as being similar to a fictitious games involving killing Jews or selling slaves. Kinda hard to reason with folks who make that sort of jump in logic. I wonder how many will come around once KPW physically exists and one can see it as a true conflict simulation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathan wrote:
I wonder how many will come around once KPW physically exists and one can see it as a true conflict simulation?

I'd say none. Those people will have moved on to the next topic to flame and will have completely forgotten about the news story and the assumptions they made about wargaming in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point.

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting the game. Now I feel especially deviant for having pre-ordered a while back before all the fuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Good on you, Michael, for being the devious individual that you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Poniske wrote:
Sean, it appears that professor Jennings is a very intelligent lady who cares about her people. It appears that she wants them to be recognized for what they are, the original landlords of all you survey, a people who understood much when the European understood little. Don't belittle her for standing up for what little the Indian has left. Recognize her courage. Yeah, we might see things in a different light ... but nothing will ever change if we don't try to see what other see as well.

I hope the last line goes just as much for her as it does those of us who think she has no basis for this.

Anyone. Period. Who tries to hinder the spreading and teaching of legitimate information about history is a waste of society's time.

They're no better than propaganda ministers running all the media in places like North Korea, et. al.

This lady needs to find a constructive, productive way to get her message out instead of attacking something which will be used and played by people who are going to, by and large, already respect the history of the event or be open to learning about it.

She's taking a cheap shot at a small market, and I'm glad you're continuing forward. This game seems, as far as what I've seen and read about it, to maintain a very balanced perspective on the events, and not holding any punches when it comes to either group's unacceptable behavior.

If she wants to spread awareness, as I believe she stated in one of the interviews with her, EDIT: and which she is now pursuing actively and cooperatively, she should have tried joining with this from the start and gaining some legitimacy instead of attacking it from the get-go and destroying most of her credibility amongst those of us who despise people who do precisely what she and her group did.

No special treatment. Sorry. All this being considered, I am working on my game on the attacks on the twin towers. It's a play against the system game where the players control four airplanes. Not funny, I know. But the point is, it happened, and if someone wants to make a game out of it, let em. It'll be their money spent, and lost. This game, however, is taking the topic very seriously, respectfully, and is being approached by a historian with an interest in the topic... it's just about the most fertile ground for teamwork ever created, and rather than approach it as such an opportunity, she came at it as an enemy, and in my opinion pushed away a lot of people who might otherwise have listened to her.

Jacovis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.