Subject: Is the box too large? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got enticed in by the pretty artwork, and the game seems like it would be a nice light filler sort of game, simple rules but interesting game, etc. I had found it on an online retailer and was about to hit 'add to basket'-

But...

then I noticed the pictures of the box and it seems unnecessarily huge for a card game? Looked at some more pictures here and most of the box space taken up with what looks like a box insert with the score track on? Ugh.

If its not easily portable the appeal of a quick card game goes way down for me. It's really put me off, but part of me is thinking I shouldn't miss out on a good game because of a crappy marketing decision on the box size.

Its hard to tell from pictures alone, so questions to those who own the game - Is most of the box space really just air? It the score track actually attached to the box or is it removable? If I can remove it/cut it off/make my own score track, what kind of size box would the actual included components fit into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae Ha Woo
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you might want to consider getting Dixit: Quest first instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Dixit 2 is pure cards in a small box If that's all you own, then you have to keep score on paper and you need some sort of "choice marker" for each player - a regular die would do it.

I don't think Dixit was a bad marketing decision and I think you're going out on a limb to say it is. You don't like it? That's cool, but assuming most other people agree with you is a bit much. I like that built-in score track and I bet most party gamers do too. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars for it. Showing that they make GOOD marketing decisions, Dixit 2 doesn't have it. After all, you'd assume Dixit buyers are going to pick it up and who want to pay for a score track twice? Even better, that means you can have Dixitty goodness in whichever way you prefer now, with that score track or without. Everyone's happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukie wrote:
I got enticed in by the pretty artwork, and the game seems like it would be a nice light filler sort of game, simple rules but interesting game, etc. I had found it on an online retailer and was about to hit 'add to basket'-

But...

then I noticed the pictures of the box and it seems unnecessarily huge for a card game? Looked at some more pictures here and most of the box space taken up with what looks like a box insert with the score track on? Ugh.

If its not easily portable the appeal of a quick card game goes way down for me. It's really put me off, but part of me is thinking I shouldn't miss out on a good game because of a crappy marketing decision on the box size.

Its hard to tell from pictures alone, so questions to those who own the game - Is most of the box space really just air? It the score track actually attached to the box or is it removable? If I can remove it/cut it off/make my own score track, what kind of size box would the actual included components fit into?

The score track is an insert within the box. It is removable, but I wouldn't recommend removing it. The box itself is larger than what you probably expect from a card game, but you can take the cards, rabbits, and voting tiles and use your own score track.

As previously suggested, you might want Dixit 2. It comes in a much smaller box that just holds the cards. They are different cards from Dixit but by the same artist. You wouldn't have the score track, the rabbit tokens, or the voting tiles, but you could improvise on those. The additional elements are charming, but not quite essential to playing the game. All you really need are the rules and the cards and some way to vote and keep score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the original box, but there is one small problem: the well does not appear to be deep enough to hold the cards from Dixit 1 and Dixit 2...though I have not removed the shrink on Dixit 2 yet so maybe I'm mis-judging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Make yourself a tuckbox for just the cards (see tuckbox in files section). Then all you need is a pencil, paper, and some dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is that well constructed? Could it fold flat? If so, you could fit everything into the Dixit box, couldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
cannoneer wrote:
I like the original box, but there is one small problem: the well does not appear to be deep enough to hold the cards from Dixit 1 and Dixit 2...though I have not removed the shrink on Dixit 2 yet so maybe I'm mis-judging it.

we have both sets sleeved and they do not fit into the well as a joined stack. when we only had the base game, all of the sleeved cards fit nicely into the well. perhaps without sleeves they might fit.

to fit both into the box, we flipped the score track insert around so that it is upside down. this allows us to easily keep both sets of cards and all of the miscellaneous bits in the box without trashing the score track.

we don't usually use the score track, but if we needed it, the insert could be flipped back into the original configuration to make readily available.

on a different note, i'm itching to add some of the same types of components that used in wits and wagers. having a card or disc that you could write your guess on with a dry erase marker would be much more convenient than have a chit for each number. also, having a mat with designated spots and numbers for the cards would be welcome addition. fortunately there's room in the box for both of these mods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I don't think Dixit was a bad marketing decision and I think you're going out on a limb to say it is. You don't like it? That's cool, but assuming most other people agree with you is a bit much.

Ah, must have typed that quickly as I meant almost the opposite of what you thought I did...

I meant they made (in my opinion) a crappy decision for marketing reasons (i.e. more people being attracted to a big box).

I think its crappy that many things are overpackaged (wasting resources, generating more rubbish). I certainly don't think most other people agree with me. If they did then padding small things in large boxes to make people feel they are getting 'more' wouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lukie wrote:
I think its crappy that many things are overpackaged (wasting resources, generating more rubbish).

... not to mention precious storage space in our homes. I'm with you. I wonder how much game publishers are working on outdated knowledge. I would guess most games we discuss here at BGG are primarily sold online, making perceptions of value based on box size practically irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unfathomable wrote:
It seems that you might want to consider getting Dixit: Quest first instead.

Thanks for this , I may well go this way, especially as apparently Dixit 2 is almost half the price surprise

I know it doesn't have the scoretrack, cardboard tokens or wooden bunnies, but over £10 (thats 15 usd for our American listeners) less would mean I could add Coach ride to Devil's Castle to the order is a significant saving. Then again those wooden bunnies are pretty cute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
Lukie wrote:
I think its crappy that many things are overpackaged (wasting resources, generating more rubbish).

... not to mention precious storage space in our homes. I'm with you. I wonder how much game publishers are working on outdated knowledge. I would guess most games we discuss here at BGG are primarily sold online, making perceptions of value based on box size practically irrelevant.

Online sales are growing very fast, but we still have many years before they will even only be equal to street stores. At least for games like Dixit, the family kind of games you can found in toy stores and speciality shops.

For the question, the same artist work on both, for me that's what this game is about. The concept is great, but the artworks is just incredible. I didn't mix them yet, still play them separtely. Maybe one day, but right now I prefer only bring the small box on my travels and leave the larger box at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lukie wrote:
I think its crappy that many things are overpackaged (wasting resources, generating more rubbish). I certainly don't think most other people agree with me. If they did then padding small things in large boxes to make people feel they are getting 'more' wouldn't work.

I agree with you, for ecological, economical, shelf-space, and portability reasons. I am annoyed at how large Dixit's box is.

When I travel with Dixit, I leave its pointlessly large box at home, taking the components in a plastic bag; I'd much rather take them in a sturdy appropriately sized box that would look nicer and protect the components better.

More and more lately I'm thinking I need to look into techniques for making custom sturdy boxes - too many games come in boxes that are largely full of air and a pain in the ass for packing into a backpack and take up too much shelf space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a small box from one of Сarcassone's expansion to carry around cards from Dixit and Dixit2 (in sleeves). And the voting markers.

By the way, one may note that Carcassonne expansion boxes are way to large as well. And boxes for many other games and expansions - as well. At least, it's a good thing that Dixit2 does not carry an over-sized box. I wish though that original Dixit box could conveniently hold sleeved cards from Dixit and Dixit2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
By the way, one may note that Carcassonne expansion boxes are way to large as well. And boxes for many other games and expansions - as well.

Yes indeed, it is a frequent frustration that pointlessly large boxes make games cost more, take up more shelf space, and make me take fewer to game club meetings (thus directly hurting publishers since fewer additional potential buyers will see and play the games).
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd report back: I got the much more sensibly sized (and cheaper) Dixit 2, used a couple of spare dice for people to choose their selections with, and scored on pen and paper.

Worked great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the original box insert artwork to create a scalable scoring track (keeping the appropriate amount of whimsy of the original) to put into my take along box of card games and fillers.

Feel free to print, fold, and put into whatever you use to bring Dixit with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wroot
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
We use a small box from one of Сarcassone's expansion to carry around cards from Dixit

I just did that too Lucky i didn't throw that Carcassonne box away. I'm with the thread's author. I really hate bloated boxes, and Dixit box is probably on top of my hate list A waste of space, paper, trees, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wroot wrote:
magnitt wrote:
We use a small box from one of Сarcassone's expansion to carry around cards from Dixit

I just did that too Lucky i didn't throw that Carcassonne box away. I'm with the thread's author. I really hate bloated boxes, and Dixit box is probably on top of my hate list A waste of space, paper, trees, etc.

Clearly you haven't seen Planet Steam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.