Popular Tags: [View All]
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Seems unlikely to me. Cheap shipping for discs for services like Netflix and GameFly make it easier for services like that to be profitable. Boardgames are fairly expensive to ship and then most games have lots of components that would inevitably get lost or destroyed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is such a program through Myriad games (it's called their gameswap program, available to their MVP members). I've been using it for a couple months now. I'll leave it to Dan (the owner and all around great guy at Myriad) to fill you in on the details, you can find some basic contact info on their website http://myriadgames.com/

For me, the program works pretty well. Like Netflix there are different levels of participation, which entitle you to different numbers of games in circulation. I go with a single game at a time, and have bee impressed at the variety and prompt response from Myriad. I had expected that brand new games would have limited availability, but so far I've gotten Carson City, Shipyard, Tobago, and World Without End--all newer, big-box games. Mine have all come new in shrink, in pristine condition, and get to my house about 2 days after shipping.

If you're interested, I'd urge you to get in touch with Myriad Games--they're the only retailer I know of that is running such a program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justnord wrote:
Yes, there is such a program through Myriad games (it's called their gameswap program, available to their MVP members).

I've checked out Myriad's website. I see the MVP Membership, but no mention of their gameswap program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Math trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from math trades the trade system here could probably be used for a comparable system. "hot" games tend to be easily traded - even if you spiraled down slowly in value you could buy a hot game again down the road and begin again every 6 months or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myriad Games
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameShare™: Game Rental Service
Myriad Games is proud to be at the forefront of innovative offerings for the game community. We've offered in-store play from our Game Library (OpenPlay) for sometime. You can view our current Game Library at www.MyriadGames.com/gamelibrary

MyriadGames.com is in the process of being updated, so the placeholder site we have not should be upgraded in the next month or so.

In January this year, we launched GameShare(TM) Alpha, our initial test phase of our new game rental service, called GameShare(TM).

GameShare(TM) is available to our MVP Members during this alpha test. Details on our MVP Membership are available at www.MyriadGames.com/mvp

Here are the levels for the special GameShare(TM) Alpha test, which only MVPs can participate in:

Bronze - One-At-A-Time Access ($10 per month)
Silver - One-At-A-Time Access ($5 per month)
Gold - One-At-A-Time Access (Free)
Platinum - Two-At-A-Time Access (Free)
Titanium - Three-At-A-Time Access (Free)

Just like Netflix or Gamefly available titles are drawn from our massive game library (www.MyriadGames.com/gamelibrary), which includes hundreds of titles including most newer games, with new items added each week. Locally, customers simply pick up and return games as they try them out. For customers not in our immediate area, you can simply have your games shipped to you. Since you can use your Myriad Money toward product and shipping, we simply deduct the shipping cost from your account and keep the game on your "GameShare(TM) - At Home" list until you either return it or decide to keep it. If you get a Gold, Platinum or Titanium membership, you'll be able to take advantage of the various shipping benefits as well. If you'd like to keep any games that you try via GameShare(TM), you simply notify us and we'll ring them through off your account. If you'd like to return them, you simply pack them back up in the box you received them in (or any other packaging of your choice) and send them back to us by a traceable carrier (USPS, UPS, FedEx). You are responsible for return shipping costs. Since you're receiving Myriad Money along with your MVP Membership, it helps to offset the cost of shipments and get you a nice game budget for those games you'd like to keep.

What other questions can I answer for you about the new GameShare(TM) program?

We appreciate all those fine customers that are participating in our GameShare(TM) Alpha Test and look forward to refining the system as we move forward. All feedback and suggestions are appreciated!

- Dan Yarrington
Myriad Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
cotedelachevre wrote:
My wife wonders if there is a boardgame equivalent to Netflix.

I have serious doubts as to the financial viability of such a venture. However, someone in New Zealand is giving it a go:

Renting Board Games in New Zealand

I'm very curious to see if this works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
cotedelachevre wrote:
My wife wonders if there is a boardgame equivalent to Netflix.

I have serious doubts as to the financial viability of such a venture. However, someone in New Zealand is giving it a go:

Renting Board Games in New Zealand

I'm very curious to see if this works...

It works in our area and we love it.
There's a game store here that rents games (www.BoardgameRevolution.com) for 10 days at 10% the cost of the game. And when you return the game, that amount gets applied to any purchase you make that day.
We've used it a lot to take a game home and try it out with our family and friends to see if it's a "keeper".

So they have a section of the store stacked with their rentals. Yes, they do get beat up a bit, but they also get used a ton and would make a bunch of money on the amount of times a game gets rented out - a lot of turnover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
The difference in the New Zealand situation is that the games are shipped to the renter and then shipped back. This takes it closer to the Netflix model. The associated shipping costs would seem to move the venture from "difficult, but do-able" to "money-losing".

Still, this nay-saying on my part is merely speculation which is why I'm curious to see how well it works for someone who actually gives it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.