Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's the question. My wife and I got into a spirited debate over this one. If you have a one, two twos and four three cards in your hand, and your score pile contains a single one card, which of these is correct:

a) You get to exchange one three card from your hand with the single one card in your score pile since exchange means one for one (score pile used to equal one point, now it equals three points)

b) You get to swap the single one card in your score pile with four three cards from your hand (score pile used to equal one, now it equals twelve).

The confusion for us is over the words "all" and "exchange" Any help or official clarification would be great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
ggambill wrote:
OK, here's the question. My wife and I got into a spirited debate over this one. If you have a one, two twos and four three cards in your hand, and your score pile contains a single one card, which of these is correct:

a) You get to exchange one three card from your hand with the single one card in your score pile since exchange means one for one (score pile used to equal one point, now it equals three points)

b) You get to swap the single one card in your score pile with four three cards from your hand (score pile used to equal one, now it equals twelve).

The confusion for us is over the words "all" and "exchange" Any help or official clarification would be great. Thanks!

Just for the purposes of bystanders:

Canal Building [2]
[P] : You may exchange all the highest cards in your hand with all the highest cards in your score pile.

Exchanges need not be symmetrical -- you can exchange one card with none, ten cards with four, or two cards with two.

In your example, you would exchange four [3] cards from your hand, "All the highest cards in your hand", with the one [1] card in your score pile, "All the highest cards in your score pile".

Thanks for the question! And I hope you didn't wind up sleeping on the couch Pull-out cots are a level 11 technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me wants Innovation too.

Not like me to be tempted by a game with that many obscure cards, but these really seem obscure in a fun way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got into a huge debate with this:

Is it correct to swap all your highest cards in hand with ZERO cards in influence? Technically having no cards in your influence means that you have 0-values and the rulebook states that if the highest/lowest are requested but you have none then they are value zero.
Thus, if I have three Fives in my hand and zero cards in Influence, then it should be correct to just score these three cards right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can swap all the highest cards to all to lowest cards and similar even if either does not contain any cards.

Except you are transferring them to your influence instead of scoring even when the end result is the same. (You can't claim the specific special achievement by transferring cards into your influence, it requires scoring specifically.)

See the second post (emphasis by me):
angelkurisu wrote:
Exchanges need not be symmetrical -- you can exchange one card with none, ten cards with four, or two cards with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! But - why does "exchange" count as transferring and not scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the same reasons why exchanging cards from your hand with another player does not count as drawing a card, and that exchanging top cards on your board with another player does not count as melding the new card you receive.

Scoring is a thing that happens when a card tells you to Score a card. It doesn't happen when you transfer cards into your Score pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Clipper says above, you only Score if the dogma says you score. Any other transfer to and from influence (score pile) is not scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.