Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played SFB in the 80s (Expansions #1-3 and Volume 1-3). I bought Federation Commander Romulan Border and then the Klingon Border. I have been trying to understand the FC universe and haven't been able to make sense of it all.

First of all, I prefer the basics: I like a DN, CA, CL, DD, and FF from each race. Then I could pick one or two and let them slug it out. I wasn't into the 20 variants of the Federation Destroyer and such.

With that in mind, my questions are:

1) Is Klingon Attack just the ships from Klingon Border?

2) If I bought Distant Kingdoms, would I have the basic ships listed above for the Hydrans and Lyrans?

3) When the original SFB came out, the Kzintis used Galactica-style vipers and a basic carrier in lieu of a DN. When the Hydrans came out in Expansion #1, they had basic ships with less weapors and supplemented with about 4 fighters. Then everybody got fighters and the Fed fighters were ridiculous. In Klingon Border, there was no Kzinti Carrier. Are there fighters and carriers in the FC universe and if so, did they copy over cornry dogfight rules, differentiate the fighters (multiple Hydran Stinger fighters, for instance) and give the Feds insane fighters?

4) Are the ISC and Andromedans in FC?

5) How about the Romulan Mauler and Klingon B-10?

6) I listed the basic ships I like to use above. With my 2 games, it appears I got for the Romulans, Federation, and Klingons, but not for the Gorns and Kzinti. If I wanted to get ships for these races, how can I do it?

7) What are the boosters? Are they miniatures? Are they duplicate SSDs? Is there a way of telling what ships you actually get in a specific booster?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Klingon Attack has more ships for the Feds, Klingons, and other races. They are not the same ships as in Klingon Border.

2. Distant Kingdoms and Hydran Attack have the basic Hydran and Lyran ships. Some were added after you left the game so they will be new to you.

3. The only race with fighters is the Hydrans.

4. They will be in War and Peace that should be released this summer.

5. No maulers in FC. The B10 plus battleships for the other races are in Battleships Attack.

6. Klingon Attack has a lot more Kzinti ships. Romulan Attack has a lot more Gorn ships.

7. The booster packs have 6 to 8 ship cards each. Most of the cards are repeats from the associated products; 1 or 2 are new. If you look at the large counters in Klingon Border they equal the ship cards you get in Klingon Border plus Boosters 1-3

For more info see this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18320/federation-comma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much.

One other question: you said carriers are gone, as are Maulers. Also, I noticed on the Klingon D-6, 2 security stations have been removed and a ADD added (good!).

Outside of the loss of chrome and security stations on Klingons, could I use SFB SSDs in FC? (I'm guessing I'm not the first person to think of doing that). I'm thinking why not save some money and use my zillion of Kzinti non-carriers from SFB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can. In a past Captain's Log there was an article on doing just that. The biggest changes are removing security stations from Klingon ships, making all drone racks type A or G, and changing some movement costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.