Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: intermediate wargame?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim
United States
Milton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My 13 year old son has recently taken to playing games with me. We have played a fair amount of Euros and he does fine. I would like to find a wargame to play with him. Something with more direct conflict.

I am looking for something a little more involved tham Mem44 or Heroscape but not as involved as Squad Leader. I would like to find a game "system" with different scenarios rather than a fixed game like Battle of the Bulge etc.

As I am a single father, also raising two teenage daughters, I need something that plays relatively quickly. I don't have the time or space to play an extended game.

I am not set on a historical game, fantasy or sci-fi is fine. I am thinking about something along the lines of the venerable Kriegspiel. But, unfortunately, I found that to be a dated and poorly executed game.

thanx
jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game of thrones.
War of the ring
Twilight Imperium
Axis and Allies: Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gray
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia games would be great.
Try Napoleon, 1812 or Hammer of the Scots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I would say Hammer of the Scots or War of the Ring (if you like nice bits and/or Tolkien's book), but they haven't "different scenarios" (well, HotS has two, but everyone seems to like only the first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Driven
There are a number of games in the "Card Driven" catagory that are more involved than the "Risk varients" but nowhere near as complex as full-on wargames. They will take more commitment to learn.
Wilderness War (subject: The French and Indian War) might fit the bill for you.
The block games already suggested are good possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots or War of the Ring
Good grief, how does either of those quality for 'quick play'?! Isn't the record for a play of 'War of the Ring' on these boards 65 min? And the average more like 3 hrs?

I'd recommend Star Fleet Battles in a year or two.

The advanced rules do get into ASL-like complexity (with an equally as good cross-referencing and index system), but the basic game is pretty simple, as these things go.

It's Star Trek, but without the lame plot-device-of-the-week stuff. A simple ship vs ship duel - even using the advanced rules - won't last longer than an hour, and there are something like a dozen races in the game each with hundreds of ships of varying capabilities to choose from. They are given point costs, so you can 'buy' ships or fleets that should be balanced for a fight.

Another option - probably better for now - is the Great War at Sea series.

(There are a lot of games in the series, plus 'Second World War at Sea', which is a nearly identical spin-off series)

The cool thing about this is that it plays at two levels - a strategic game and a tactical game. The tactical game happens when fleets meet for battle, and involves a lot of die rolling (seriously, resolving a broadside from an entire fleet could well end in 24 die rolls or so - assuming you have 24 d6, that's just one flick of the wrist, naturally). In any case, the tactical battles resolved pretty quickly - an hour or so for a pretty big fleet vs fleet engagement.

So, you can set the strategic game up somewhere out of the way, and play it a bit, resolving tactical battles as they come up. Gives each play session some meaning, since they connect together. (Course, even playing through a strategic game, with all the resulting tactical battles - even on a REALLY BIG ONE - will still only take most of an evening in one sitting)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning - shameless plug ahead-
You might want to take a look at Cromwell 2026 by Table Tactics.
One hour to set up and play.
Three pages of rules. One page of examples.

Max Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go w/ one of Columbia's block games:
*War of 1812
*Liberty
*Hammer of the Scots
*Wizard Kings

or

Battle Cry by AH

There is lots of replay value in all these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
A great gaming system is Wizard Kings from Columbia Games. It has scenarios, maps, additional armies, etc. It is mid weight and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your examples (Mem44, Heroscape, and Squad Leader) I would say you are looking for a small unit action military game. There is one shinning example from recent years that is exactly what you say: more complex than Mem44 and less complex than Squad Leader. That game is "Lock 'N Load". See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6542 .

Try the online demo too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings has already been mentioned, and it's a personal favorite. However, if you would prefer a WWII theme, Columbia currently has it's Victory (aka Victory: The Blocks of War) base set on sale for $20 (+$3 shipping). www.columbiagames.com The base sets for both Victory and Wizard Kings come with two armies plus 4 geomorphic maps. Both also have many additional maps for sale. The best part of Wizard Kings is the variety of different armies, but of course that means buying them. With Victory, you would eventually want to get the elite units. The armies themselves are all identical, but you can limit that in a scenario. If your son really likes fantasy, then Wizard Kings might be more engaging for him, otherwise the current price on Victory makes it easily worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw my opinion Columbia Games' way, as well.. Wizard Kings is scaleable, has high replay value, a catchy fantasy theme, and very quick setup. It's also a great introduction to the overall block system Columbia Games uses across their titles -- coming close to the "game system" interest you mentioned in the original post...

Once you're familiar with Wizard Kings (the most accessible of the CG block games, in my opinion) you could easily graduate to others that appeal -- Hammer of the Scots is another favorite, but there are wonderful block games based on a variety of different military models and simulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.