Bryce Lynch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the PLEASUREDOME
badge
I picked up a copy of Tactics II for about $6, mostly because I LOVED the map.

Having played last night, I must say how much more I enjoy Memoir 44. The first few turns, in particular, were pure torture. In the end, I stopped even my half-hearted attempts to block Red and continued to charge deeper in to red-landia while they took my cities. (#$%^ing mountain pass on the left side! I should have know I would get bottle-necked.

I think I'm going to end up playing the first few turns of a second game and gluing the counters to the map so I can wall-mount it.

Tune in next week for 'Why 2-player games are not fun.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics II is about as "old school" as you can get. If you've played more modern games with interactive play sequences, cards, chit draws, etc., you may find games like Tactics II really dated.

Don't give up on hex and counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Boulan
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game could be the dictionary definition of dated, but I enjoy it; very simple with a good “struggle between nations” feel to it.

But the biggest problem with Tactics II is that there too many initial forces available for both sides. A solid line is easily formed across the center of the board. Then its’ a matter of waiting for one player to get frustrated and make a lot of low odds attacks, or a poorly supported paradrop/amphibious invasion. The Nuclear Weapons rule helps to fix that; but that’s the one optional rule I don’t like. It takes the WWII feeling away and seems over powered.

One easy fix is not to set-up the “Replacements”; they can still be purchased as reinforcements. The solid line of units is now impossible, which allows for more freewheeling play.

One other thing you can try is to allow two units to stack per hex (I mean square ). I picked that up from the old Empire II computer game version of Tactics II. Empire II had two units stacking regardless of scenario, which ended up working well for Tactics II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Tactics II is about as "old school" as you can get. If you've played more modern games with interactive play sequences, cards, chit draws, etc., you may find them really dated.

Don't give up on hex and counter.

Agreed. It's like test-driving a Model T, and deciding you don't like cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.