Subject: 2-4 player games for wife and midcore players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Recs forum is one of my favorite to browse, so I thought I'd join in on the fun though I know even from browsing that mine is a request that tends to come up fairly often.

Basically I have a preorder in for Dominion right now that includes Farmers of the Moor and Le Havre. I'm looking for other games that might be worthwhile to add to this group. Don't let Le Havre fool you, we are hardly a hardcore group (aside from me perhaps) that has just happened to fall in love with Agricola so we are giving Le Havre a shot.

Games that scale well 2-3 are particularly welcome, with a bonus for games that play great with 3 (our most common number) but can be learned and enjoyed with 2. You can see my collection for my ratings of games, but in this group Dominion and Agricola are favorites. There isn't much discrimination against nerdy themes, but they do tend to be more of a "hump" to get over. Casualness is welcome, but we tend to burn out on truly light games (TTR) fairly quickly. A nice middle-of-the-road sweet spot (see: Dominion) would be ideal.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Agricola, and I enjoy At the Gates of Loyang far more than Le Havre. Especially since you seem to like card-based games, I think Loyang would be a good fit for you. I really enjoy it 2p, but have not tried to 3p. For just a 2p game, the Settlers of Catan Card Game might be a good fit (and at $16 online, it's one of those you can toss onto an order for free shipping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You already seem to have a lot of the games that I was going to suggest.

My wife and I are pretty big on Vikings and Leonardo da Vinci right now.

EDIT: Leonardo doesn't scale well with two, but I think it worked okay when we played it with three. Vikings doesn't seem to lose very much when playing with two, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you own anything I would suggest (actually, you probably own my entire collection plus a decent chunk of my wishlist) laugh

We're about to try Le Havre, as well. I've had my eye on it a while. Also Tobago.

What do you like about T&E and Galaxy Trucker? Both of those sound interesting to me, in an abstract sense, but whenever I look at the gameplay videos or reviews, they don't seem appealing at all yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my recommends:
Acquire - good with 2+
Louis XIV - good with 2+
Saint Petersburg - good with 2+
Hansa Teutonica - very good with 3, not so much with 2

Crayon rails? Something in the Empire Builder line? We bought a smaller/tighter map that works well with 2, India Rails. The 4th Edition of Eurorails has colored chips!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
squared82 wrote:

EDIT: Leonardo doesn't scale well with two, but I think it worked okay when we played it with three. Vikings doesn't seem to lose very much when playing with two, which is nice.

I should clarify, if I have not rated it there is a decent chance I haven't played it much, so feel free to recommend from that list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
squared82 wrote:

I should clarify, if I have not rated it there is a decent chance I haven't played it much, so feel free to recommend from that list!

T&E I like playing with my more hardcore friends. It's like chess but with a small element of luck! It's actually not a game I'd break out with this group.

Galaxy Trucker is just insanely fun. Funny enough it didn't click with us the first few times we played, but once we built a few ships it definitely did. It's just entertaining to scramble for parts from the same pile, rush to build your ship, and them often watch it get blown up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E is a wonderful game, at the top of my favorites list. It scales well from 2-4. Plays pretty quick with experienced players. The luck in it (drawing tiles) can be combated fairly easily by skill and decision making. Occasionally you'll run into someone that drew just enough tiles the turn before to defend your attack but if you are cautious you can avoid those kinds of things. My friends and I have gotten into playing it at a local smoke shop while enjoying some pipes. Wonderful times.

Le Havre is also good. I have only played it with 5, which I hear is a nightmare, but I really liked it every time. It was tense, and you had to plan ahead very carefully. I like those games sometimes. I have heard that it is much more approachable with 2-4 players and is best with 3. I would recommend both of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth

World Without End

Stone Age

Just to name three. Great games and all of them casual-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection we seem to have similar tastes. I would heartily recommend Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation if you can get hold of it.

It's a civ lite type card game that plays superbly with 2 and is also great with 3 or 4 as the setup and play is thoughtfully modified for different numbers of players.

It's one of the few games that my wife actually suggests playing and we have now played over 50 times - unheard of!

Also:-

Saint Petersburg
Jaipur
Caylus Magna Carta
Ra
Ra: The Dice Game

Hope that helps
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, my canned "games for wife" answers are Alhambra and Attika, but I fear those might be too light for you -- they're just a bit heavier than TTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend Age of Empires III. To me, it is not too heavy, and actually it is enough like agricola (believe it or not - its a worker placement game plus) that i think your group may like it - also good as a three player. It seems intimidating, but in my opinion it is easier to learn and teach than Agricola, and has a great rulebook. Its fun and deep, and it is way less stresful to play than Agricola (i love Agricola, by the way) because you get more actions (at least five) per turn. Does take longer though...

i would give it a shot -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard the term "midcore" for players who weren't as hard as hardcore... are we going to get requests about softcore players soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lewis
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Stone Age; it's nice, scales well and plays fairly quick. There's player interaction but not a lot of direct screwage.

You know softcore gamers; they like to read the rules, glance at the components and then artfully pull away to a reflection outside of the room when they actually start to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, actually we have and enjoy Stone Age. Only problem is (and this is totally idiosyncratic) that it feels almost "obsolete" now that we play Agricola so much. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful, and its aesthetics and snappy gameplay are great hooks for casual gamers. Been a while, maybe I'll bust it out again this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christenson
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slogosh wrote:
I would recommend Age of Empires III. To me, it is not too heavy, and actually it is enough like agricola (believe it or not - its a worker placement game plus) that i think your group may like it - also good as a three player. It seems intimidating, but in my opinion it is easier to learn and teach than Agricola, and has a great rulebook. Its fun and deep, and it is way less stresful to play than Agricola (i love Agricola, by the way) because you get more actions (at least five) per turn. Does take longer though...

i would give it a shot -

I second that - I was going to recommend it myself. Many people I have played with have referred to AoEIII as one of the greatest Eurogames of all time - not sure I'd go THAT far, but it is on the top of my group's list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about any of the following? All are what I'd consider "middle weight" and I know my wife and family enjoy them all.

Samurai
Through the Desert
Ra

I'll also second the suggestion for Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.