Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Now that we've seen the game designer's full vision of this arc, it might be a good time to reflect on what might have gone differently with the benefit of hindsight.

E.g. What worlds would have "prestige" pre-printed on them if they were made today? I think thematically, the ALIEN Fleet has prestige. When you lay it down, there's an audible "THUNK", and all the other lightweight cards bounce a few milimeters off the table. Now that there's actually big things to settle with 9 military, fear of this card is only increasing.

With RvI, everybody and their brother had an explore power printed on it. Even some cards that it's difficult to justify thematically (e.g. ALIEN UPLIFT Cub Scout Camp). Meanwhile Robot ALIEN Scout Ship still has no explore power? Its a frickin' VORLON SCOUT! I think they know a thing or two about lookin' around.

What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Meanwhile Robot ALIEN Scout Ship still has no explore power? Its a frickin' VORLON SCOUT! I think they know a thing or two about lookin' around.

Sure, if there were actual ALIEN crewman around to crew that thing... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to wait till the game comes out, as I'm kinda at loss at what to comment on. I'm sure I will have something to add.

In the meantime, I do wish the US release date were earlier, but that's a publishing issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
In the meantime, I do wish the US release date were earlier, but that's a publishing issue.

Has there been anything more specific than "Spring 2010?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
Has there been anything more specific than "Spring 2010?"

Not officially, but I would expect it to be in the US sometime in the next 6 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Galactic Renaissance could be slightly improved. Pop a prestige on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Kopeć
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
With RvI, everybody and their brother had an explore power printed on it. Even some cards that it's difficult to justify thematically (e.g. ALIEN UPLIFT Cub Scout Camp).

I always wondered why Malevolent lifeforms have explore power. Every card can be reasonably explained, except this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
MrWeasely wrote:
Meanwhile Robot ALIEN Scout Ship still has no explore power? Its a frickin' VORLON SCOUT! I think they know a thing or two about lookin' around.

Sure, if there were actual ALIEN crewman around to crew that thing... ;-)
ROBOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comfort Eagle wrote:
MrWeasely wrote:
With RvI, everybody and their brother had an explore power printed on it. Even some cards that it's difficult to justify thematically (e.g. ALIEN UPLIFT Cub Scout Camp).

I always wondered why Malevolent lifeforms have explore power. Every card can be reasonably explained, except this one.

Seriously!

Look at those squinty little eyes and all that darkness. You're telling me he can see just as well as a friggin' Expedition Force with flashlights and everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Comfort Eagle wrote:
I always wondered why Malevolent Lifeforms have explore power. Every card can be reasonably explained, except this one.

Explore powers represent either information gathering/exploration capability or information itself. Here, the idea was that the vast number of different Malevolent Lifeforms on this world provided valuable genetic information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who're you calling squinty eyed!? Your puny Exped Force wouldn't be able to take him on. You have only what, 2 Military?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Comfort Eagle wrote:
I always wondered why Malevolent Lifeforms have explore power. Every card can be reasonably explained, except this one.
Obviously you're unaware of this card's tagline:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In space nobody can hear you say "WTF? this card is defense 4 ?!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Comfort Eagle wrote:
Obviously you're unaware of this card's tagline:
In space nobody can hear you say "WTF? this card is defense 4 ?!".

You expect lifeforms that are malevolent to be pushovers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Novak
Slovakia
flag msg tools
You know what I miss? Cards that influence other players; let's say, a world that makes the defenses of all military worlds go up by 1, for everyone? A development that has a consume power anybody can use? They'd have other powers too, to be useful on their own. An icon with multiple figures would designate that it affects all players.

These could be used to throw a wrench into the the workings of other players, or be used when they give you more of a boon than others... and they could backfire excellently if you don't think it through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brough
msg tools
mbmb
Kremik wrote:
Cards that influence other players; let's say, a world that makes the defenses of all military worlds go up by 1, for everyone?

I don't think this is a bad idea, but it would slow the game down quite a bit. In my experience people have enough trouble remembering all the bonuses from their own tableau, without having to check everyone else's. Everyone forgets the -1 military from PGL for example, so extra minuses from across the table will be even more trouble. Maybe if there were big obvious pieces that go in the middle of the table it could work.

(+ another vote for prestige on GalRen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked to see the Gambling World require actual money to use its Phase IV power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bimka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am actually more curious what is going to happen when the whole thing comes to a full scale intergalactic war... Will they add some fire-crackers into the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I would have liked to see the Gambling World require actual money to use its Phase IV power.
?? It does. The ante is a card which represents wealth.... unless we're going into literals like US dollars or geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
?? It does. The ante is a card which represents wealth.... unless we're going into literals like US dollars or geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, GG, now that I hadn't thought of. I had meant US$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm amused by the idea of taking pictures of game minutae having a measurable effect on win/loss ratio. Putting a geek gold economy into Gambling World would kinda do that.

GG is kind of silly. To demonstrate: 5gg to the first person to reply this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:

GG is kind of silly. To demonstrate: 5gg to the first person to reply this thread.

That would be Tom. Don't let his tricky wording fool you, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
I'm amused by the idea of taking pictures of game minutae having a measurable effect on win/loss ratio. Putting a geek gold economy into Gambling World would kinda do that.

Is there a 2nd place prize? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.