Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I really want to mount this map onto a board, but wasn't sure what the best way is to do it since I have never done it before. I was thinking of picking up an old game board from a thrift store and glueing it to that but wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for this?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
I just use a plexiglass sheet on top.

I've never mounted one so I'm afraid I can't give you any tips.

The only problem I see is that 22x17 is probably not a standard gameboard size, so it might be tricky to find one that works.

Perhaps you should just start harassing publishers like Zman or RGG to license it! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
If you're willing to cut the board up into four sections, mounting wouldn't be a difficult process. I've done this many times with redesigned boards, using adhesive-backed vinyl flooring as the mounting material. These can be found quite cheaply at home improvement stores.

Here's an example:

This is a one-piece, quad-fold board. It requires two inside folds and one outside fold. I use thin clear packaging tape to join the section folds together. The inside folds are the only parts that requires finesse. Once you get the technique down, a board like this can be constructed in about 20 minutes.

The example above was made from a pdf split into four equal pieces and printed on individual letter-size card stock. Perhaps Tim Harrison would consider offering to send you a pdf of the board, allowing you to try your hand at this without the danger of destroying your original paper map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Oh, I neglected to mention that if you're willing to forgo a one-piece board with inside folds, a two-piece board is a piece of cake. Each half (two quadrants) could also be joined by an outside fold, making the construction process even easier. No need to worry about the two halves shifting during play -- that vinyl flooring has quite a heft to it and stays in place well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I also use plexi/perspex.

Office Max will mount boards (etc) onto pouchboard (foamcore with thermal adhesive on one side), and laminate the map as well, quite cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
I've never laminated nor clear-coated any of my self-made boards. To be honest, I really don't see the need. In fact, the possibility of glare from lamination makes me wary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
garygarison wrote:
I've never laminated nor clear-coated any of my self-made boards. To be honest, I really don't see the need. In fact, the possibility of glare from lamination makes me wary.

I've made many 18xx maps at Office Max. Glare has not been a problem...except when taking a picture of the final board (as can bee seen in my gallery). During play there has never been a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Next time I'm there, I'll take a look at their offerings.

Have you had a chance to play AR yet, JC? It's pretty darn good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
garygarison wrote:
Have you had a chance to play AR yet, JC? It's pretty darn good.

No, not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Quite a number of games that fall within your preferences remain without ratings comments from you. Perhaps a geeklist is in order. Would you mind if I took a stab at it sometime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
garygarison wrote:
Quite a number of games that fall within your preferences remain without ratings comments from you.

That seems likely. Any that strike your interest?

Quote:
Perhaps a geeklist is in order. Would you mind if I took a stab at it sometime?

Uhh, I can think of no possible reason I'd mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
That seems likely. Any that strike your interest?

The glaring omissions of some Winsomes, in particular.

Quote:
Uhh, I can think of no possible reason I'd mind.

Very well, then. I'll geekmail you when I've completed this little project, as I doubt you heed new geeklist submissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a table with a glass on top of it (like I do), you just slide the map underneath and voilà! Perfect!

Hope to upload a few pics to show you what I mean....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I nearly lost the tip of my finger in a Stanley knife accident but I finally managed to get the board mounted. It isn’t perfect though, the 5mm, black Foamex board it is glued to hasn’t been cut millimetre perfect. When it was first cut there was about a 3mm channel between the boards, even when pushed together. I’ve since filed both joining edges and have the gap down to about 1mm, which I can live with. The Foamex board is strong and should give this map some longevity.

Sorry the pictures aren't great.

As close as I dare file the board without starting to hit the card map. The gap is still there but playable.

Both boards together.

Oh, it no longer folds down into quarters which probably isn't ideal for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.