Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yet another "overshoot" corner question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always move with the arrows in the corner. If you are overshooting the corner and after moving in the corner you are in the outer lane on the last space of the corner. You can exit the corner with the arrows to either the outer lane or the middle lane, and AFTER you have gone into the straight you CAN NOT change lane anymore.

Stig Morten

EDIT: Shorter answer is the second option for you. Nip in one lane and end on the last space by spending a break point, or overshoot by one and spend a tire point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
If you are overshooting the corner and after moving in the corner you are in the outer lane on the last space of the corner. You can exit the corner with the arrows to either the outer lane or the middle lane (...)

Stig, are you sure about that? I've always played that you can not exit with the arrows pointing to the inner lanes when you overshoot (in fact, we treat all the last spaces of a corner as 'straight arrows' when a car overshoots).

Have I played all those years wrongly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I was behind my missus in the outside lane,

Hey now. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fermmoylle wrote:
ad79 wrote:
If you are overshooting the corner and after moving in the corner you are in the outer lane on the last space of the corner. You can exit the corner with the arrows to either the outer lane or the middle lane (...)

Stig, are you sure about that? I've always played that you can not exit with the arrows pointing to the inner lanes when you overshoot (in fact, we treat all the last spaces of a corner as 'straight arrows' when a car overshoots).

Yes, you played it wrong. While your still in the corner you can follow the arrows. Your not overshooting until you actually leave the corner and only then are you restricted to not change lanes for the rest of that turn. Note that only applies to the straight, if you (while still overshooting) enter the next corner you still get to again follow the arrows, but in this case do not get to count this as a stop in that second corner.

The movement rules for corners and straights are independent. While in corners the rules are always just follow the arrows. The lane change rules only apply in the straights.

See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3283596#3283596
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhiraj Pallin
Australia
Taringa
QLD
flag msg tools
The way the rules are written makes me cry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
fermmoylle wrote:
ad79 wrote:

Yes, you played it wrong. While your still in the corner you can follow the arrows. Your not overshooting until you actually leave the corner and only then are you restricted to not change lanes for the rest of that turn. Note that only applies to the straight, if you (while still overshooting) enter the next corner you still get to again follow the arrows, but in this case do not get to count this as a stop in that second corner.

The movement rules for corners and straights are independent. While in corners the rules are always just follow the arrows. The lane change rules only apply in the straights.

See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3283596#3283596

That is not correct. The quote from the rulebook on overshooting is: "When coming out of a corner the car may not change lanes, but must stay in the same lane." So you don't follow the arrows in this instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
\
That is not correct. The quote from the rulebook on overshooting is: "When coming out of a corner the car may not change lanes, but must stay in the same lane." So you don't follow the arrows in this instance.

No, you're not "coming out of the corner" until you actually enter the next straight. Until then you use the standard corner movement rules and may follow the arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow the arrows. When there are no more arrows, go straight. Apply tires and/or brakes as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No, you're not "coming out of the corner" until you actually enter the next straight. Until then you use the standard corner movement rules and may follow the arrows.

That's fine except on an overshoot, then you can't change. It's in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No, You're not overshooting until you actually leave the corner. From that point on you can't change lanes, until then you still just navigating the corner and may follow the arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No, You're not overshooting until you actually leave the corner. From that point on you can't change lanes, until then you still just navigating the corner and may follow the arrows.

No, you are overshooting the moment you are leaving the corner without stopping the prescribed number of times. So the first move you make out of the corner without stopping is overshooting and according to the rules you can't change lanes when overshooting. You can house rule anything you deem necessary, but for those who want to play by the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No, you are overshooting the moment you are leaving the corner without stopping the prescribed number of times. So the first move you make out of the corner without stopping is overshooting and according to the rules you can't change lanes when overshooting. You can house rule anything you deem necessary, but for those who want to play by the rules...

Isn't that what I just said?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No. You said you could change lanes on the first move out of the corner and I say you can't so that's not the same at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

No. You said you could change lanes on the first move out of the corner and I say you can't so that's not the same at all.

But you can. On the move your car leaves the last space in the corner and enters the first space in the straight, it's still started in the corner and so the corner movement rules apply. Changing lanes is not even a concept that applies to the corner movement rules. so following an arrow in that last space is not a lane change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:
\

But you can. On the move your car leaves the last space in the corner and enters the first space in the straight, it's still started in the corner and so the corner movement rules apply. Changing lanes is not even a concept that applies to the corner movement rules. so following an arrow in that last space is not a lane change.

Where in the rules does it say that following arrows isn't a lane change?

The first move out of a corner when you haven't stopped the correct number of times is an overshoot and that movea must follow overshoot rules. I don't see any ambiguity in the rules and I've never had more than 25 people who have played in leagues with me question that the rules said exactly that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

The first move out of a corner when you haven't stopped the correct number of times is an overshoot and that movea must follow overshoot rules. I don't see any ambiguity in the rules and I've never had more than 25 people who have played in leagues with me question that the rules said exactly that.

Show me in the rules where it says that is a lane change. The only place in the rules where it talks about lane changes is in the rules about moving in the straights. How you move is determined by the space you start in, so in this case corner movement rules apply. I've also played in leagues and convention tournament play and have never run into your interpretation,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
rickert wrote:

Show me in the rules where it says that is a lane change. The only place in the rules where it talks about lane changes is in the rules about moving in the straights. How you move is determined by the space you start in, so in this case corner movement rules apply. I've also played in leagues and convention tournament play and have never run into your interpretation,

First of all I shouldn't have to quote you a rule where it says that following an arrow to a different lane is a lane change because common sense should tell you that. The rules state that there are three lanes in a corner. If you are in the middle lane and you follow an arrow to move your car to the inside lane, how would that not be changing lanes?

But here is a quote from the rulebook on overshooting: "When coming out of a corner (my emphasis) the car may not change lanes, but must stay in the same lane." It doesn't say after a car comes out of a corner (which is what you're saying). It says it must stay in the same lane and not that you may follow the arrows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, I completely disagree with what you have been saying all along here.

There are arrows in the last spot of each chicane for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:

I don't follow that logic at all. Why wouldn't there be arrows on the last space of every turn regardless of the type? After all, some cars actually leave a turn without overshooting and those cars still need to follow those arrows and can change lanes?

I really don't care whether you've agreed with me all along, just recently or never. Just as long as the rules agree swith me, I'm satisfied with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Kalidor wrote:

I don't follow that logic at all. Why wouldn't there be arrows on the last space of every turn regardless of the type? After all, some cars actually leave a turn without overshooting and those cars still need to follow those arrows and can change lanes?

I really don't care whether you've agreed with me all along, just recently or never. Just as long as the rules agree swith me, I'm satisfied with that.

The rules don't agree with either of you, they simply don't specify.

You defend your point by saying it's "common sense". That is not a rule, that is an interpretation.

Both positions are defendable under the rules as they are. I find the "common sense" argument of coming out of the corner, just as easy to swallow as the corner arrows rule (which is what I currently play). Unless there is an official settlement from the designers or Asmodée on this, you are both right imo, and it's a matter of choice and agreement between players before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't see any ambiguity. If you are in one lane (the rule book plainly says there are three in each corner) and you follow an arrow into another lane, you have changed lanes. further in the rules it says when you overshoot a car can't change lanes when leaving a corner. Again, how is the first move from a corner space onto a straightaway space not leaving a corner. The first move from that straightaway space to another straightaway space isn't leaving a corner, that is after you've left a corner and that's what the rules would have said if you were allowed to follow the arrows out of a corner on an overshoot.

I really think that you have to be looking to find a way to use the arrows on the last space of a curve on an overshoot to think it works that way. the rules for Formula D aren't the best I've ever read, but it seems clear to me on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just agree to disagree Rick...

Furthermore, the rudeness was really appreciated! I simply said that I disagree with you. Sensitive, much? Is it that big of a deal that some dude on the net doesn't follow Rick's Rules???

Agree to disagree, Rick...it's OK...it's a fun game. Regardless of how Rick wants to play.

Rick.

Rick...

Rick......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have some house Rick's rules that apply from time to time. But this time I don't have to. I use the real rules as printed by Asmodee. Why not just agree to disagree? Well because some others might want to play by the real rules and this discussion may very well have confused them on what those rules might be. That's the harm.

There was that reply better? Sheesh! And you call me sensitive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the Formula Dé rules (I don't have Formula D) and I think two rules apply:

The Three Basic Rules, 2 - Course Rules, Corners, (d): In corners, and on the two large black arrows at the entrance of each corner, cars must follow a route marked by the arrows. A car cannot change lanes unless there is a choice of arrows to follow when leaving the space.

One-Lap Races, 2 - Overshooting a Corner: When overshooting a corner a driver must obey the following three rules: ... 2) A car must carry on its movement in the same lane in which it left the corner. A car can't change lanes when it's skidding!

So by the first of those two rules, I can leave a corner via any of the arrows in the last space of the corner, regardless of whether I'm overshooting or not. By the second rules, once I've left the corner, if I'm overshooting, I can no longer change lanes.

The overshooting rule seems clear to me: the prohibition of changing lanes while overshooting doesn't apply until you've left the corner. But like I said, I don't have the Formula D rules, so take this as you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:
I'm looking at the Formula Dé rules (I don't have Formula D) and I think two rules apply:

The Three Basic Rules, 2 - Course Rules, Corners, (d): In corners, and on the two large black arrows at the entrance of each corner, cars must follow a route marked by the arrows. A car cannot change lanes unless there is a choice of arrows to follow when leaving the space.

One-Lap Races, 2 - Overshooting a Corner: When overshooting a corner a driver must obey the following three rules: ... 2) A car must carry on its movement in the same lane in which it left the corner. A car can't change lanes when it's skidding!

So by the first of those two rules, I can leave a corner via any of the arrows in the last space of the corner, regardless of whether I'm overshooting or not. By the second rules, once I've left the corner, if I'm overshooting, I can no longer change lanes.

The overshooting rule seems clear to me: the prohibition of changing lanes while overshooting doesn't apply until you've left the corner. But like I said, I don't have the Formula D rules, so take this as you wish.

But this is the Formula D rules forum. I will quote those rules again: "When coming out of a corner a car may not change lanes, but must stay in the same lane."

Let me ask a question. When a car overshoots, don't you count the first space out of a turn as a space of overshoot? If a car overshoots and ends the move on the second straightaway space isn't that two spaces of overshoot to be marked against the tires or just one? If the answer is two, then that first move out of the turn is part of the overshoot and must follow the overshoot rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.