Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you've noticed that the only tile that doesn't have a inherent ability are the blue (politics) tiles. Agriculture and commerce are token generators over agriculture and commerce tiles, respectively; culture generates tokens next to culture tiles, and attacking is cheaper from a war tile. But politics action can be taked no matter if you have one, two or none at all politic tiles under control. This makes the politic tiles less valuable for players and they usually leave them untill they need to complete a set of colors.

The variant I propose is that, when taking politics action, you must redistribute your tokens from a maximun number of tiles equal to the total of politic tiles you have under your control, to as many tiles as you want. This will balance the need of the various types of tiles and will put the player into a interesting dilemma: more tokens or less tokens but better distributed?.

Please let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the game as it is. I like that there is this color of tiles that has no in-game value but that is worth big end-game points (if it completes a set). To me, that already presents a very interesting dilemma...at what point do I sacrifice my empire's effectiveness for victory points?

I feel that, if you bring blue into "balance", you take that dynamic away. Now that everybody would need blue, everybody would take blue. I think the game actually becomes a little less interesting once that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice dynamic thinking. I'll let you know next time I get a game played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
hemp wrote:
The variant I propose is that, when taking politics action, you must redistribute your tokens from a maximun number of tiles equal to the total of politic tiles you have under your control, to as many tiles as you want. This will balance the need of the various types of tiles and will put the player into a interesting dilemma: more tokens or less tokens but better distributed?.

Please let me know what you think.

I'm not sure I like the sound of this idea. The problem is that players will not collect a lot of blue tiles to begin with as the need for making sets with different tiles is more pressing. Since the game can end rather abruptly due to the scarcity of ziggurats, I doubt there will be more than two or three blue tiles under a player's control at any one time. (The pigeonhold principle ensures that this number will not increase significantly.) Being able to redistribute two or three cubes at most is very weak: if I give up the blue action of the tile I can already add one cube to any of the tiles I've occupied, and if I forego both actions I can already add two—obviously these are the better options. Therefore I think that this variant cannot be recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.