Popular Tags: [View All]
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've started getting back into AH again, after not playing it very much since Innsmouth came out. Seems to me that "priming" the Feds Raid Innsmouth track early in the game should be a good thing. Use 4-5 early clues to mostly fill the track while there's no martial law, and if the Deep One track gets hairy later, a quick trip can solve it.

Do you agree? Or do you think those are clues better used on getting that first seal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried doing that for awhile, but I found that even with the Raid track primed, we often couldn't make it to Innsmouth with an investigator that:

a) had a clue token
b) had a way to get to Innsmouth (money, sailing, passing by someone with money)
c) could fight or sneak their way through the monsters that are inevitably there and
d)could do the above fast enough to succeed.

In our games, the deep ones rising track usually stay pretty calm at 0, 1, or 2 for the majority of the game. Then, if anything happens with it at all, it will suddenly jump to 6 in a handful of turns, far too quickly to react.

I've experimented a couple of times with making the fed raids not only resetting the DOR track, but also killing all the monsters in Innsmouth. It makes filling the fed raid track earlier not suck as much, and helps the DOR track stay down for a bit. Plus, it just makes thematic sense (what, the feds come in, kill the fishy-lookin' people at devil reef, but leave the other fishy-lookin' people alone?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you say reflects our last couple of games. Tonight, I put myself in charge of Innsmouth. I primed the FRA track with 5 clues early on. By sheer luck, gates opened left and right there, and monsters were hitting the vortexes quite frequently. My first investigator ended up with the Innsmouth Look just from doing that. Ack. My second investigator tried to run up to finish the FRA track when the Deep Ones hit 5/6, but couldn't get there fast enough.

The game we played two weeks ago was different. Innsmouth was dead quiet, so we ignored it. Then, late in the game, Mythos cards started hitting sealed locations repeatedly. Martial law had been effect for a long time, and we just didn't have enough cowbell to stop the Deep Ones track. But in this game, we came much closer to winning by sealing gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prevention is better. It's been a very long time since we've bothered even to attempt to clear the track. Often we just make sure we get rid of the monsters if too many show up there. Or, if the win is in reach, we just try focusing our efforts on laying that last seal before things go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definately a sound strategy to fill 5 of the 6 Feds Raid spaces early on; once the Deep Ones track hits 3 it can jump right to 6 before you know what hit you. Once I clear it I usually fill the first 5 right away again, but then I regret it when the Ancient One awakes and I could really use the clues in battle....

Erik is right, it can be extremely difficult to get to Innsmouth and live through a turn with at least one clue (Roland Banks comes in handy with his endless supply of clues- he can go to the Grocery and buy something to be "safe" for a turn and then leave his Clue) And it can be extremely difficult to get OUT of Innsmouth as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
I have innsmouth now but I havent had the chance to give it a try yet. My gut feel from reading the rulebook was that having someone fill it to 5/6 and leaving an easy location would be a sound tactic (sacrificing one gate seal). Then resetting the track once it hit four or if things seem safe at five.

Tibs is usually on the money with his posts though, also without a house rule I figure the monster issue leads to the track staying a menace even if you do shut it down in the nick of time (since unlike at the start of a game then monster surges and existing monsters pump the track faster without as many available clues around to deal with it).

I figure I will want the designated monster hunter out there to keep things from getting hairy and have a designated backup that retains enough cash to get out there and assist with clues (and/or taking care of specalized monsters that need spells or magic effects).

Order of Dagon seems good for clues and Marsh Refinery seems a good source of money (both are very dangerous though), so the investigators should be able to get some in field resources when in need.

That leaves 2-3 in Arkham attempting to seal gates and keep the terror level down (assuming a party of 4).

Without having tried it hands on, the prospect does seem exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having the "Feds Raid Innsmouth" kill all the monsters in Innsmouth. Do you guys think that would be too unbalancing a house rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Taylor
msg tools
Perhaps only toughness 1 monsters (the kinds the feds could handle). Or roll a die, on a 5 or 6, return the monster to the cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rtcmc wrote:
Perhaps only toughness 1 monsters (the kinds the feds could handle). Or roll a die, on a 5 or 6, return the monster to the cup.

Holy necro thread, Batman!

To keep things thematic, I'd suggest removing only Deep One type monsters from Innsmouth when the Feds raid. Your idea is a pretty decent one for a house rule; it's exactly the sort of thing that Arkham is good at. It's an easy game to tweak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.