Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Ryan
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really want the most balanced experience right out of the gate, so I was hoping that any of the players here who have had experience with RTL could help with some suggestions. I've read the forums here and at FFG and have come up with a list of things, but just wanted to get some final input.

1. I worry that if the avatar and the heros meet, the avatar will be underpowered. Was going to do the suggested 1 HP per 4 conquest tokens for heros and 2 HP per conquest token for avatar or something like that. Suggestions would be great.

2. I want to scale the dungeon leaders and named bosses as the campaign advances. I read doubling their bonuses health works fine.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LashtonBryth wrote:

2. I want to scale the dungeon leaders and named bosses as the campaign advances. I read doubling their bonuses health works fine.

This is what advancing your monsters from Copper to Silver etc., is for. True, the "Name" bonus will be a smaller proportion of the creature's overall health as the campaign advances, but I have not noticed any "unbalancing" as a result. I'd leave this one alone, an early Silver Overlord is powerful enough without giving him a free and far-reaching dungeon upgrade.

In general, I wouldn't go too crazy tinkering with the house rules until you've played a whole campaign. In fact, with the exception of changing the Tamalir siege victory condition (make it so that the OL has to destroy four other cities before attempting Tamalir), I wouldn't change anything right out of the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
LashtonBryth wrote:

In general, I wouldn't go too crazy tinkering with the house rules until you've played a whole campaign. In fact, with the exception of changing the Tamalir siege victory condition (make it so that the OL has to destroy four other cities before attempting Tamalir), I wouldn't change anything right out of the gate.

Ignore this. The game is so hideously unbalanced that there's really not much you could do that could possibly make it any worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Good use of examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Ignore this. The game is so hideously unbalanced that there's really not much you could do that could possibly make it any worse.

Boy that is helpful advice, I am sure it is appriciated by the OP.

Astrud, I have been using all of the recomneded erratta and I have also started to use the "divine Favor" from Sea of Blood. where if/when the OL gets too far ahead (more than 25 I think) the heroes are worth less conquest and if the heroes are ahead by more than 25 conquest they are worth one more.

As far as balance, don't worry about it. Even though it is a competitive game, just worry about whether you are having fun or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read through the rulebook for the Sea of Blood expansion. Most of the biggest problems Road to Legend has are addressed in it's rules.

Ship battles seem to be a new can of worms, but everything else is solid it seems. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is quite helpful advice, as if the OP waits until he's played through a whole game with the base rules then he may find at the end of it that he doesn't have any players left to try out any variants with.

However, in an effort to be a little more constructive, here are the main variants in very short summary that we used to rebalance the game and found that they worked well for us:

Delayed Fatigue Recovery
Any fatigue the heroes recover cannot be used until the beginning of the hero's next turn.

Incremental Threat
The OL receives 1 Threat per turn only. This increases by 1 Threat/turn for each level down in a dungeon the heroes go and for each level the campaign increases (so on the 4th level of a legendary dungeon at gold campaign level the OL will be receiving 6 Threat/turn).

Randomised Treachery
At the start of each dungeon, shuffle each treachery deck and deal out a number of cards equal to twice the OL's treachery in that colour. The OL can then only purchase treachery cards from those dealt out.

If there's anything more you'd like to know about any of these, just ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LashtonBryth wrote:
I really want the most balanced experience right out of the gate, so I was hoping that any of the players here who have had experience with RTL could help with some suggestions. I've read the forums here and at FFG and have come up with a list of things, but just wanted to get some final input.

1. I worry that if the avatar and the heros meet, the avatar will be underpowered. Was going to do the suggested 1 HP per 4 conquest tokens for heros and 2 HP per conquest token for avatar or something like that. Suggestions would be great.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We've found the game, as is, to be very finely balanced as a whole when players play well.

When players screw up things become unbalanced very badly, very fast.

The balance doesn't feel right all the time, which merely means that each side has periods of strength and weakness. When you look at the campaign as a whole, which is difficult to do without experience, you can see (or understand) the overall balance.

Our Avatar battles have been very one-sided, but we have no problem with that because on every occasion the OL has invested heavily in a plot or raze victory and missed out (very) narrowly. We are intelligent enough (we hope) to recognise that the Avatar fights should not be balanced unless the OL puts virtually all his resources towards that fight - after all, the heroes have.
If the OL has spent resource on plots, treachery, lots of Lts or more than one type of monster upgrade and not absolutely maximised his avatar potential then he has been spending on things that don't help him (directly) in the final battle. The only resources the heroes can spend that don't help them (directly) in the final battle are party upgrade items and tamalir upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I agree that in order to have maximum potential in the final fight, you need to buy all Avatar battle upgrades.
However, most of them (exception : there is always one upgrade that affects your monster type) do not help you in the campaign and, as a result, you risk giving the heroes too much conquest and too much power because youy didn't care about killing them umpteen times.

In order to have your cake and eat it too, you'd buy monster upgrades and treachery and other things during the first two ages, and avatar upgrades in the age of gold (perhaps along with diamond monsters of the type that's most present in your final dungeon). You'll need a little under 100 CPs to take care for that. However, if you thing you'll absolutely need such-or-such upgrade (clones, phylactery) then be wary of The Twins rumour.

Also, remember that razing cities makes it difficult for them to get their upgrade combos.

Example : it's more useful to purchase you special leutenant if you're the Spider Queen (because you can kill them repeatedly) or Demon Prince (because it will repay in the form of razed city CP bonuses) than if you're the Great Wyrm (too late for Dar Hilzernod to affect the campaign).

Notice that the cost of the Ascension plot is negligible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:

In order to have your cake and eat it too, you'd buy monster upgrades and treachery and other things during the first two ages, and avatar upgrades in the age of gold (perhaps along with diamond monsters of the type that's most present in your final dungeon). You'll need a little under 100 CPs to take care for that. However, if you thing you'll absolutely need such-or-such upgrade (clones, phylactery) then be wary of The Twins rumour.

Also, remember that razing cities makes it difficult for them to get their upgrade combos.

Umm, not just maximum potential, any potential IMO (more or less).

Experience says that gold level goes by too fast (the heroes can cruise through 3-4 levels of a dungeon every week whereas in silver and copper they are far more likely to be fleeing more often) for the OL to purchase many upgrades, and there are a lot small ones for avatars. The OL needs to start purchasing Avatar upgrades in early-mid silver campaign level if he plans on a final battle.
Certainly at least one type of monster upgrade is mandatory ASAP in copper and silver level. And the cheap Farrow Lts are a worthy buy once you have silver monsters in order to put map pressure on and raze cities. And treachery is very useful, one event treachery for crushing blow critical in fact.
But the important thing is planning your upgrade path with the final goal in mind and sticking to the plan with only minor changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.