Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love 'em both, bought 'em both. These are by far my top two in-print choices in the "plastic army conquest" genre. Which theme appeals to you more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the themes appeal to me so that won't be a deciding factor. I see that Dust has a shorter playing time which is a plus. Dust also plays up to 6 players which is also a plus. There's just something about all those dice and the map of Warlords that makes me want it. I was hopeing that one was clearly a better game than the other so my decision would be easy....but apparently that's not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Warlords of Europe but I have not had experience with Dust besides the reviews here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trippercook wrote:
I was hopeing that one was clearly a better game than the other so my decision would be easy....but apparently that's not the case.

Not the case for me, anyway. I've played mostly 2-player, and I don't think Dust plays any faster with 2. I haven't played enough with more players to be sure, but I think it might well be faster with more players, because the point system will end it even if the players achieve parity and nobody jumps.

The two games push a lot of the same buttons: interesting interaction of the unit types, production decisions, cards that throw a monkey wrench into planning. You need to figure a way to buy both games. You can always cut back on food - eating is over-rated. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both as well, and I have to admit I think my favor tips slightly towards Dust.

Warlords is sort of a cross between Risk at the beginning with expansion and all units of everyone being the same, and A&A in the combat. It has neat figures and plastic, and an interesting theme, but the theme didn't actually come out and bite me.

Dust doesn't have a strong theme that comes out and bites me either.

On the otherhand, Dust is a combination of risk type deepness in some ways, but with a combat system more akin to memoir in some ways (different units roll the attack dice, you can tell your results by how many hit symbols you roll) but not even half as deep with the differences of hit rolls...AND some euro mixed in with points that you need to win, or points of conflict.

It's the specific points of conflict it tosses into the mix along with the card play and the integration of the combat system that currently makes Dust more interesting to me. That doesn't mean Warlords of Europe is bad by any means, just the opposite, Warlords is a great game.

Dust (CURRENTLY, who knows what the future will bring) is simply preferred by me if I had to pick between the two.

Something about dust is that it features a lot of art which may be offensive to some women, and some mothers may feel it is inappropriate to chidren. This is actually reflective of the comic series it is based upon (which is quite adult in nature), but you should be aware of that aspect in the theme as well.

If that is something that may put you or people you game with or live with off, you probably want to consider Warlords of Europe instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
Australia
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
risk type deepness

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I went with Dust. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get it to the table. Warlords is still calling my name though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.