Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like pretty much all games but my girlfriend doesn't. She enjoys playing games but the longer, heavier games that require long term planning are not her cup of tea. She enjoys clever play and thinking but would rather have it be short term plans that aren't so involved. I am looking for games 2 player (or more) that she might enjoy, preferably ones that may increase her interest in the heavier side of gaming.

Games she likes:
Jambo
TTR: Nordic Countries
Robo Rally
Le Havre (We played 5 player and she liked it!)

Soon will try out:
Hive
Lost Cities
Battle Line
Dominion
2-player Le Havre
2-player T&E

While I would love to fully convert her to my geekiness and get her playing heavier, longer games my primary goal is to find more games that she enjoys. Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend just can't get enough of Carcassonne: The Castle. Although this is indeed a fun 2-player variant on Carcassonne it's a little bit too easy for my taste. But hey, better an easy game than no game at all
She's also mostly willing to play Starship Catan and although she likes it she does find that it lasts too long sometimes. Another game she enjoys from time to time is Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As she kied LeHavre, I´m not sure what to suppose.
So here is a list of games, that in my opineon are not to heavy, but also not boring for gamers that prefer the heavy ones.

Fiese Kühe
Primordial Soup
Snow Tails
Stone Age
Clans
The Bridges of Shangri-La

A further idea woulb be to try abstracts. As Hive is on your list, try it, an if she likes it have a look at
PÜNCT (and the thers of the Gips series)
Kamisado
and the abstracts from nestorgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do have Carc: The Castle and it sees the table sometimes. I'm not sure why she like Le Havre either but it gave me hope that we can continue to expand in that direction. I think Stone Age is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I read the title and thought I'd be opening a thread chock full of pics of hot chicks that posters thought the OP might be interested in.

I am displeased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I am taken, and quite happily at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was "meh" about Lost Cities, but we've really been enjoying Jaipur - great colors, great artwork, nice quality tokens, interesting play.

Archaeology: The Card Game might work.

If she liked Jambo and Le Havre, she might like At the Gates of Loyang.

Stone Age is a good suggestion. If you're okay with dice, you might also look at Kingsburg, Livingstone, Ra: The Dice Game, and Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age.

Catan Card Game is about 2 hours, but if the length isn't an issue, it might work well, and be a bridge to other things. It's one of those games that can be played aggressively or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eva Green
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do a search for threads like this. There are many, many, many "Games my girlfriend/wife/life partner/signifigant will like" threads here. There's some really good geeklists too. A lot of them actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold War: CIA vs KGB
Citadels
Roma
The Kaiser's Pirates (Seriously, my wife likes it a lot)
In the Year of the Dragon

And seconded...go in search of relevant geelists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have had the same situation with my partner. She likes Agricola now - maybe you've checked it out already, but i think you personaly would love the depth, and she would like (as my girlfriend does) that it plays fast and is pretty easy to learn. She also wold'nt need to think ahead too much - there are a lot of choices, but they are all good ways to grow your farm. Dominion is almost a sure thing - my family loves it, as most do. Both are good two players. I also wonder if she would like Race for the Galaxy - my girlfriend does not, but I love it very much. It would be a good one to check out - good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well if she already likes Le Havre, I'd Strongly suggest Agricola its the masterpeice of the same designer uwe rosenberg. it's my wife an my favorite game, though we enjoy many. plays great as a 2 player game but can play up to 5. other games that are great for light strategy 2 player are

Wasabi! (awesome board and fun tactical play, very quick)
Citadels (an amazing amount of depth for such a simple but beautiful card game)
Thunderstone (we prefer this one very much over Dominion, incredible art too)
Pandemic (great co op 2 player but up to 4, every collection should have one co op and this is a great one)
Mr. Jack (really neat deduction game where investigators are trying to locate the sneaky jack the ripper. (quite light hearted)

The list goes on but these are primo 2 player titles that we have gotten a ton of play out of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is my number two for sure. She has been introduced very briefly and I have taken my time coming back to it. I want to make sure she enjoys it very much.

I read tons of those lists actually. It is good information but more just personal favorites rather than "she likes this and this and this, where to go next."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught my gf the Settlers card game and San Juan. I'm going to try to teach her dominion again (her kid was acting up the first time I tried to teach her)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thanks for reminding me of San Juan. I love RfTG but she didn't like it. The symbols didn't do it for her and she found it too confusing. Maybe if I can store up some boyfriend points I'll cash in on them and get her to try it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so sure about Hive - Feels a bit chess-like to me (ie, long-term planning, or about as long term as you can get for such a short game).

Battle Line is a good choice.

Also take a look at:
Aton
Attika
Roma (definitely get the player aids)
Mr. Jack
Thurn and Taxis

These are all mid-weight, and involve short-term planning and reacting to the other player's moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
ixnay66 wrote:
Do a search for threads like this. There are many, many, many "Games my girlfriend/wife/life partner/signifigant will like" threads here. There's some really good geeklists too. A lot of them actually.
Dude, no offense intended, but not all women are alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer is easy:

Something Heavy - Caylus
Comething Lighter - Tikal

Both play well with 2, both scale higher. Buy and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
For 2

Citadels - I actually think this game is best for two. Great depth for such a simple game

Mr Jack - A great deduction game with beautiful components and board

Pandemic - I have never failed to get someone to like this game. Especially because its a coop, your wife wont feel as bad when both of you lose. If you both win you get to share in the victory.

Hive - a must get for 2. I play two out of three with our morning Sunday bagel. Short and sweet. You gotta love those bakelite tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
Eva Green

Photo please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
My girlfriend and I really enjoy Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation Deluxe Edition. She loves the theme, it plays fast, it is a mix between stratego and chess but it is so much more.

I highly recommend it.

I also second Agricola and Thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw Tales of the Arabian Nights into the ring.

It's my wife's favourite game (and I love playing it too). Basically, it's a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure with a borad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious or Take it Easy! are good choices. Though not very heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the biggest obstacles to converting my wife was her reluctance to play cutthroat. She doesn't like messing with strategy of others, and thinks it's mean. And she gets very upset when someone messes up her strategy.

Enter Aton. It's a game where messing with the others strategy is WHAT YOU DO. It's how the game is played. It doesn't seem mean, since you can't play the game without doing it. After a few more plays, I'm confident it will go down as her "Gateway" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I absolutely LOVE playing Race for the Galaxy. It absolutely dominates our head to head matches.

I'll warn you though, the lady folk tend to take some convincing to start with. The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you have a few games under your belt, 20 minute games crank right out with significant strategy and planning needed in each.

We're also fond of Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.