Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but has anyone figured out a way to block off/mask part of the board so it's balanced for 2 players (US edition, no expansions)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but has anyone figured out a way to block off/mask part of the board so it's balanced for 2 players (US edition, no expansions)?
?? The board is already balanced for 2p and 3p game. When you play with 2p or 3p, you only use one or the other side of a double route. For example, if your opponent built from San Francesco to Portland on the green route, then the purple/lavender/pink route is off limits and vice versa.

If you already knew about that, then I am not aware of anything else given your request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew in 2p you only use one of the tracks. But I'd assumed the board was still too big based on large number of people preferring Nordic or Swiss for two players (small boards), plus many folks saying the "Big City" variant was better for 2 (fewer routes).

Were my assumptions wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
If you are looking for a handicapping system, I can think of one...

Separate the tickets into 3 piles by their points value. From each pile, randomly draw one ticket.
Now build these 3 routes by using a single set of colour trains, e.g. black. These connections are now blocked from the start.

Since I haven't tested this, I don't know if you need to allow building on the double tracks of the blocked routes, or even in general. You'll just have to try and adjust for balance, perhaps in combination with drawing more tickets for blocking.

I also suggest you look into the Ghost Train variant, posted here on the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tanner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've enjoyed playing the "Legacy" variant. Basically, play a standard 2 player game, leave the trains on the board, and play another 2 player game... working around the first set of trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tannerman wrote:
play a standard 2 player game, leave the trains on the board, and play another 2 player game... working around the first set of trains.

Couldn't one player too easily block off a whole section of the country on the second round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tanner
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
Tannerman wrote:
play a standard 2 player game, leave the trains on the board, and play another 2 player game... working around the first set of trains.

Couldn't one player too easily block off a whole section of the country on the second round?

Yes, it's feasibly possible. What we tend to do is play a "limited" first game, i.e. stardard TtR or maybe even the long-forgotten Mystery Train (hey, it's an excuse to use tiny cards) and then in the second game "open it up" by pulling out 1910's Mega Game, thus increasing your chances to actually make connections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any way to "mask" board for 2p?
That legacy game sounds pretty cool! I'll have to try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Z
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times with my wife where we only use half the board, either west or east of the center double gray routes that run down the middle from Duluth to Houston. Separate the destination tickets and use only the west or east tickets. When you have the 1910, you get about 25 tickets in the west or 25 in the east IIRC. There are not any long routes, since all of the long ones are cross-country routes. It does crowd the board quite a bit, especially if you still only use one side of the double routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.