United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when these guys blended an iPhone - you can see a clip of that on the iPad at the very beginning.

The video is actually made by the company that produces the blenders. It's viral marketing, but it's fantastic viral marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I can scarcely imagine a more wasteful culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I think they will more than recoup the $500 in marketing benefits. The same effective amount of TV ad spots would probably cost $10,000.

Not only are these guy smart, but their blenders really are awesome. I'd say the only strike against them is most people don't need a blender that will blend electronics (I mean... I do... but other people probably don't...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ejmowrer wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I think they will more than recoup the $500 in marketing benefits. The same effective amount of TV ad spots would probably cost $10,000.

Not only are these guy smart, but their blenders really are awesome horrifyingly expensive. I'd say the only strike against them is most people don't need a blender that will blend electronics (I mean... I do... but other people probably don't...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Not only are these guy smart, but their blenders really are awesome horrifyingly expensive. I'd say the only strike against them is most people don't need a blender that will blend electronics (I mean... I do... but other people probably don't...)

Awesome and horrifyingly expensive are not mutually exclusive.

Orbital Launch Vehicles
F-15s
The Sears Tower
Large Hadron Collider
Macbook Pros
The Original Hummer
Europe
The Death Star
The Interstate Highway System
Cruises
The Internet
Nicolas Cage

PS - This list is not exhaustive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Yeah. I agree 100% that we live in an incredibly wasteful culture but this video is hardly a great example... in fact, to me the video is intentionally making that same statement because the mere fact that the iPad even exists is a better example of wasteful than the wanton destruction of one. They are destined for a landfill when the next best thing comes out, why not send it now? ...and the BledTech blender will obviously outlast the iPad in usefulness (personally, I would go with a Vitamix). I think that the commercial makes a great statement about utility and lasting quality. Plus, there's commercials that have car crashes in them or use celebrities costing tens of thousands of dollars per second. Destroying one iPad is very low budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ejmowrer wrote:
zorazen wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Awesome and horrifyingly expensive are not mutually exclusive.

Orbital Launch Vehicles
F-15s
The Sears Tower
Large Hadron Collider
Macbook Pros
The Original Hummer
Europe
The Death Star
The Interstate Highway System
Cruises
The Internet
Nicolas Cage

PS - This list is not exhaustive.

Touche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Yeah. I agree 100% that we live in an incredibly wasteful culture but this video is hardly a great example... in fact, to me the video is intentionally making that same statement because the mere fact that the iPad even exists is a better example of wasteful than the wanton destruction of one. They are destined for a landfill when the next best thing comes out, why not send it now? ...and the BledTech blender will obviously outlast the iPad in usefulness (personally, I would go with a Vitamix). I think that the commercial makes a great statement about utility and lasting quality. Plus, there's commercials that have car crashes in them or use celebrities costing tens of thousands of dollars per second. Destroying one iPad is very low budget.

Now, if there were commercials that crashed cars with celebrities in them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cryolemon wrote:

You might be on to something here... or - Will It Blend Nicolas Cage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pronoblem wrote:
cryolemon wrote:

I'd like to see Will It Blend Jenny McCarthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
frumpish wrote:

For me it's not about the money the company spent purchasing the product, I understand that's a marketing decision. Rather it's about intentionally destroying a new and completely functional product, and knowing that the your audience is going to appreciate watching this.
It is that which demonstrates how wasteful the American culture is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
frumpish wrote:

For me it's not about the money the company spent purchasing the product, I understand that's a marketing decision. Rather it's about intentionally destroying a new and completely functional product, and knowing that the your audience is going to appreciate watching this.
It is that which demonstrates how wasteful the American culture is.

So you're telling me that you've never watched a segment of entertainment where something is destroyed? You've never watched a car chase scene where they flip a car during it? You've never watched one A-Team episode. You've never seen a house on fire in a movie? Nothing like that, ever?

$500 is probably less than it cost to run the audio and video recording equipment for the shoot -- not buy the equipment, mind you; just use it for the shoot.

Lighten up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
cryolemon wrote:

I'd like to see Will It Blend Jenny McCarthy.

WHo?

How 'bout pseudo/do nothing celebs like Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Kardishian sisters, and the like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
So you're telling me that you've never watched a segment of entertainment where something is destroyed?

Or, simply enjoyed anything that is produced entertainment. He's a fan of Lost. I can not think of a bigger waste of time and money for anything currently in production.

The BlendTec ad is not a great example of waste in comparison to nearly EVERYTHING else including the iPad itself. For example, I never saw it, but I read that one of those Matrix films had a car chase where it cost $64 million just to do that one scene and it wrecked 110 cars (long considered the biggest car crash in film being the Blues Brothers, so I guess this is the new king). Then movie goers spend hundreds of millions to watch it. ...and, like I said previously, I think the BlendTec ad makes a statement about utility versus gadgetry. Yeah, the iPad is a functional device when it goes in (so were are led to beleive, it could be non-functional) but that kitchen appliance probably will last 20 years past when the iPad is in a landfill. +$500 to make a commercial that gets people talking is hardly a lot of money.

I was planning on getting a Vitamix (to mill grains and make juices / sauces)... this ad made me check out the BlendTec more closely. 1 more HP, 60MPH faster, easier to clean, 1 more qt capacity and the same price. So, for me, the ad worked. Crazy... there is so much friction from the speed of the blades that you can cook in the blender... tomatoes & spices go in... hot tomato soup comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
On another topic, there are probably a lot of toxic chemicals in iPads and iPhones. If that guy isn't careful, I imagine he could easily get sick from the smoke produced by blending one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
On another topic, there are probably a lot of toxic chemicals in iPads and iPhones. If that guy isn't careful, I imagine he could easily get sick from the smoke produced by blending one.

That was my first thought when he opened it up after blending...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.