Subject: Help with my next order! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some help selecting games for my next purchase. My normal gaming group is my family: my wife and two children. Therefore, I am usually in favor of games that scale well from two to four (or more) players (although we enjoy two-player games as well). Secondly, we do seem to enjoy games in the light to medium weight class. Third, I really like it when games can play solo, just in case no one else is in the mood to play.

Most of my purchases have gone over very well:Pandemic, Dominion (we only have a few plays in of the base game – many cards still have not hit the table yet), Heroscape (my son’s #1 game), Ticket to Ride (my daughter’s favorite), Archeology (better with two), and HeroQuest.

The only games I can think of that didn’t do well (actually each of these surprised me that they were not liked):
10 Days in the USA – I think the whole “keep your cards in order” really frustrated my wife. That, and I think I really botched the explanation of the game.
Memoir ’44 – Due to my son’s love of Heroscape, I was totally shocked he didn’t like this one. He had trouble keeping all of the terrain bonuses straight and it just didn’t seem to grab him.
Ark of the Covenant – My kids love this one, but my wife hates it. I really think this game shines with two or three players and my wife has only seen it with four, which is likely the source of her disgust. It is just too chaotic with four players in my opinion.

I try to limit my game purchases to twice a year: once around the beginning of summer and once before Christmas break. I also try to shoot for going just over $100 for free shipping from www.CoolStuffInc.com (those guys ROCK!)

A definite add to my basket this year is Pandemic: On the Brink. This seems like a must-have if you like Pandemic. For the rest of the order, I’m a bit lost. So I’ll do a poll with my top ten picks and see what the BGG folk would pick. Please choose three games only: a “first,” “second,” and “third” choice. If you would recommend something I haven’t mentioned, please add a comment on which game you would suggest!

Thanks!
Poll
Pick a total of three games: first, second, and third choice.
  First Second Third Vote Count
Alhambra 35.1% (13) 27.0% (10) 37.8% (14) 37
The Downfall of Pompeii 31.6% (6) 21.1% (4) 47.4% (9) 19
Cornucopia 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (3) 3
Tales of the Arabian Nights 23.8% (5) 52.4% (11) 23.8% (5) 21
Thunderstone 38.5% (5) 15.4% (2) 46.2% (6) 13
Thebes 37.1% (13) 37.1% (13) 25.7% (9) 35
The Adventurers 29.4% (5) 35.3% (6) 35.3% (6) 17
Tobago 37.1% (13) 31.4% (11) 31.4% (11) 35
Caylus Magna Carta 40.0% (2) 60.0% (3) 0.0% (0) 5
Dominion: Intrigue 58.8% (10) 35.3% (6) 5.9% (1) 17
Dominion: Seaside 42.9% (6) 35.7% (5) 21.4% (3) 14
Total Voters 73
This poll is now closed.   73 answers
Poll created by TommyB
Closes: Sat May 15, 2010 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might help to know how old your kids are and how much they understand the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is eight and my daughter is eleven. They are both excellent readers - Tales of Arabian Nights is my daughters request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your kids will probably love The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac. The components are great and it's fun.

Have you considered Agricola? You list Stone Age as an 8, and Agricola is a good step up. What made me think of it though is your request for games that can be played solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkikola wrote:
Your kids will probably love The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac. The components are great and it's fun.

Have you considered Agricola? You list Stone Age as an 8, and Agricola is a good step up. What made me think of it though is your request for games that can be played solitaire.

Agricola is definitely on my radar, but I was concerned it may be a bit too "heavy." I know it has a beginners version of the rules, but I haven't read enough comments on that to know if it will work for my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing a really good one for your criteria: The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thunderstone is only $26 at coolstuffinc and is highly recommended because you like Dominion.

I have only played Dominion: Intrigue as a standalone and a lot of the card sets that can be added are pretty cool. But you can get a lot of "screw the other players" because of the attack cards (which sometimes are not fun).

Agricola is awesome.

If you are interested in a 2- player only game I recommend Lord of the Rings: Confrontation Deluxe Edition (Really Fun game).

This last game I have only heard about but Dice Town sounds like a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
You're missing a really good one for your criteria: The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants

That's what I love about BGG! No matter how much research you do, someone always manages to find something you haven't even heard of before. This one really looks interesting - I'll consider it. Thank you for your suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
For my 10 and 8 year olds it's all about Carcassonne. The Big Box II is a great deal with nearly all the expansions included, for around $50.00. It provides opportunity for creative thinking and problem solving with great player interaction and great game artwork. BTW, we've just broken out Ahlambra, and that seems to be a winner,too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
For my 10 and 8 year olds it's all about Carcassonne. The Big Box II is a great deal with nearly all the expansions included, for around $50.00. It provides opportunity for creative thinking and problem solving with great player interaction and great game artwork. BTW, we've just broken out Ahlambra, and that seems to be a winner,too.

My kids are pretty happy with Ark of the Covenant which is a themed version of Carcassonne. It seems to implement some of the scoring of Hunters and Gatherers, and adds in moving the Ark as an additional scoring method. I really haven't had any desire to pick up "regular" Carcassonne.
Many good comments on Alhambra - this is one I was only marginally interested in, but based on the survey, it looks like one of the top three picks.
Anyone have an opinion on whether the Alhambra Big Box is worth it? Keep in mind, I have never played Alhambra so the "basic" version may have plenty of game in it for us. I have viewed the video on the Queen Games website, so I get the basic flow of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your choices, my first 2 picks were The Adventurers and Tobago. Those are the only 2 I have out of those choices, and both are great games. I chose Adventurers over Tobago just because the fun factor. It is really light, very easy to play, and fun to just go over and over again (played 3 games yesterday!) Tobago is fun as well, but a bit more in-depth than Adventurers, and it didn't go over as well with my family.

My third choice was Alhambra, simply because I have always heard good things about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyB wrote:
My son is eight and my daughter is eleven. They are both excellent readers - Tales of Arabian Nights is my daughters request.

if your daughter has made a request, it shouldn't even be an option
I voted for Thebes, Tales of Arabian Nights, and Thunderstone before I saw your later post. The Dominion expansions are excellent, but you'd get more bang for you buck with more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that a poll like this favors the most common games. You will not be getting votes for games that people do not own. Cornucopia for example will probably get few votes, not because it is a bad game but rather because it is unknown.

I voted for Thebes. Love that digging mechanic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I'd also recommend taking a look at...

Jamaica
Bohnanza
and
Santiago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
I have a feeling that a poll like this favors the most common games. You will not be getting votes for games that people do not own. Cornucopia for example will probably get few votes, not because it is a bad game but rather because it is unknown.

I voted for Thebes. Love that digging mechanic!

This definitely isn't a scientific poll, but I thought it would help me directionally. Since I put in an order every six months or so, I will likely get all of these - eventually. It kind of makes sense to me to get the more common (older?) games purchased first anyway.
Another thing that I liked about Thebes was the time-based turn order. I don't own a game that uses anything like that. Thanks for your vote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Behnke
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:

Jamaica
Bohnanza
and
Santiago

I'll look into Jamaica and Santiago for the future. I have not bothered looking at Bohnanza - doesn't it use a fixed card order in your hand similar to 10 Days in the USA? Seeing how much my wife hated that in 10 Days in the USA, I didn't want to repeat the experience. I haven't played Bohnanza, so I may not be correct in the way the fixed card order works in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
TommyB wrote:
kevintlee wrote:

Jamaica
Bohnanza
and
Santiago

I'll look into Jamaica and Santiago for the future. I have not bothered looking at Bohnanza - doesn't it use a fixed card order in your hand similar to 10 Days in the USA? Seeing how much my wife hated that in 10 Days in the USA, I didn't want to repeat the experience. I haven't played Bohnanza, so I may not be correct in the way the fixed card order works in that game.

Yes. There is a fixed hand order but that is what forces trades. You can trade the cards from your hand at any moment during anyone's turn.

The best thing about this game. Constant player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john plant
United Kingdom
Ledbury
flag msg tools
Agricola is a great experience, but it IS NOT a family game. It is a brain spaghetti making experience. and I dont think your kids will enjoy losing every game because they will.
It is great as a two player and very challenging playing it on the one player attainment score scheme.
Aint got anything to recommend because I am too looking for a good recommendation.

Agricola is not really fun but more like the most amazing puzzle you have ever tried to solve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
stowfords wrote:
Agricola is not really fun but more like the most amazing puzzle you have ever tried to solve.

I think its fun but haven't tried playing with anyone younger than 13 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.