Hide
8 Posts

Axis & Allies Pacific 1940» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Siam/indochina plane mvmt. J1 ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hello hello
msg tools
it makes no sense why it takes the same mvmt. pts. to go frm siam to india as it does frm indochina to india, EVEN THOUGH SIAM IS CLOSER. Also, on J1 japan plns frm japan can't land on siam & have to settle in the southernmost chinese prvnce, this prevents a successful India blitz until J3. also, from current jap pos., they cant have fghtrs spport strtgc bmbrs on raids unless based off of carriers, which can be dstryd by large original british AF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how Axis and Allies has been for years.In the MB version you could fly a fighter from Russia to Germany and back when in reality aircraft was barely making the flight from France to London.

Not very many games are completely geographicly correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello hello
msg tools
thx again
geography understandable, this is supposed to be a board game, not a virtual reality war game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly, it is a strategic game. As such one tun of movement of a fighter does not represent one plane on more one mission. It is more like a strategic assignment of a large group of planes. I realize this is not in line with the fact that planes have to land every turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello hello
msg tools
yes, all of the details of actual warfare are somewhat incorporated into the game, the sculpts don't always mean what they are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Aleman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Japan has a large enough fleet, that they can protect their carriers if the bulk is sent to Malaya. There is no concern from allied aircraft until turn 5 and that is if US does an all bomber build 1/5/4/5 for the first 4 turns, which failed in my test runs. There really is no need to take India at all, unless it is your final city for the win. Taking India gives the US two more places to place a major factory [Kwantung and Malaya]. Instead I focus on taking Malaya turn 2, placing a major factory there and leaving 1 sub off India, giving them 3 IPCs a turn. The 8 IPCs that India represents to Japan is not enough to make up for the IPCs spent trying to defend other factory sites. If the US fails to place a factory, I see little chance of them being able to turn the tide. Japan is closer to their production, and even with an IPC edge vs, the allies, they have to hold a lot of area.

Instead of taking India, I make sure to take the Islands on turn 3, a 20 IPC swing towards Japan, with a Malaya factory, and a minor in Manchuria {since its capture destroys it as its on Chinese land, the allies wont get it} built turn 2 to counter attack a Korea landing with Japanese island planes and Manchurian land units. Secure the other island chain by turn 5, and you are out producing the allies. by turn 5 China is lucky to collect 3-4 IPCs a turn. Once they are eliminated, just build transports in Japan to force the US to defend Hawaii, and move them to Caroline islands, from there you choose either Hawaii or New South Wales for the win. Remember Caroline Islands is in range of West australia, and if you drop a naval base there, transports there can swing to Malaya for a refill, and with 10 transports [5 at each end], 10 land units a turn can be shuttled to W. Australia every turn. By turn 3, there is no need for Japanese air units in Asia, except for maybe bombers, the rest can help hold key islands. Turn 3 spend 12-15 a turn for land units on Malaya and the rest is fleet to match the US's 55 IPCs.

If the allies swing south with a navy, Malaya has a naval base and you can produce up to 10 ships a turn there. Really, tough nut to crack. Japan keeps its fleet either in Caroline Islands or W. Australia, using Infantry and planes to hold Japan. If US ever moves to Sea zone 6, without a naval base, they are slower than Japan and their navy can move to Philippines for a counter attack on the US fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting post. Your games seem to flow rather differently from what I'm used to.

jamesaleman wrote:
Japan has a large enough fleet, that they can protect their carriers if the bulk is sent to Malaya. There is no concern from allied aircraft until turn 5 and that is if US does an all bomber build 1/5/4/5 for the first 4 turns, which failed in my test runs. There really is no need to take India at all, unless it is your final city for the win. Taking India gives the US two more places to place a major factory [Kwantung and Malaya]. Instead I focus on taking Malaya turn 2, placing a major factory there and leaving 1 sub off India, giving them 3 IPCs a turn. The 8 IPCs that India represents to Japan is not enough to make up for the IPCs spent trying to defend other factory sites. If the US fails to place a factory, I see little chance of them being able to turn the tide. Japan is closer to their production, and even with an IPC edge vs, the allies, they have to hold a lot of area.

I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Do you really mean the US, as in since India is fallen the US can build factories in these locations if they liberate them, because they will become the controller?

jamesaleman wrote:

Instead of taking India, I make sure to take the Islands on turn 3, a 20 IPC swing towards Japan, with a Malaya factory, and a minor in Manchuria {since its capture destroys it as its on Chinese land, the allies wont get it} built turn 2 to counter attack a Korea landing with Japanese island planes and Manchurian land units.

Has this sort of US invasion happened often in your games? Maybe it's a US strategy we have underestimated. We tend to focus on the strategic island bases with the US.

jamesaleman wrote:
Secure the other island chain by turn 5, and you are out producing the allies. by turn 5 China is lucky to collect 3-4 IPCs a turn. Once they are eliminated, just build transports in Japan to force the US to defend Hawaii, and move them to Caroline islands, from there you choose either Hawaii or New South Wales for the win. Remember Caroline Islands is in range of West australia, and if you drop a naval base there, transports there can swing to Malaya for a refill, and with 10 transports [5 at each end], 10 land units a turn can be shuttled to W. Australia every turn.

Do you find that Western Australia is a good staging point for an assault on New South Wales? It just seems there are too many turns of land movement between WA and NSW. BTW there are only two spaces between WA and Malaya, so you don't need to build a base in WA to shuttle. The ability to go to Caroline islands from WA is of course nice.

jamesaleman wrote:
By turn 3, there is no need for Japanese air units in Asia, except for maybe bombers, the rest can help hold key islands. Turn 3 spend 12-15 a turn for land units on Malaya and the rest is fleet to match the US's 55 IPCs.

Thats a good point. I think I tend to keep too many planes on the Asian mainland in the mid-game. But maye thats because I have focussed on actually taking India, instead of just containing them.

jamesaleman wrote:
If the allies swing south with a navy, Malaya has a naval base and you can produce up to 10 ships a turn there. Really, tough nut to crack. Japan keeps its fleet either in Caroline Islands or W. Australia, using Infantry and planes to hold Japan. If US ever moves to Sea zone 6, without a naval base, they are slower than Japan and their navy can move to Philippines for a counter attack on the US fleet.

I fear that investing in both a LARGE IC in the South Eastern mainland AND a minor one in the North is too much of an investment in things that don't shoot. Do you really need a large IC on the mainland? If India is isolated to collect 3-4 IPCs it should be possible to match them with a minor factory(?). Also is the factory in the north really needed? Could you please elaborate on the merits of such a buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Aleman
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
ozimek wrote:
Very interesting post. Your games seem to flow rather differently from what I'm used to.

jamesaleman wrote:

I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Do you really mean the US, as in since India is fallen the US can build factories in these locations if they liberate them, because they will become the controller?

jamesaleman wrote:

Instead of taking India, I make sure to take the Islands on turn 3, a 20 IPC swing towards Japan, with a Malaya factory, and a minor in Manchuria {since its capture destroys it as its on Chinese land, the allies wont get it} built turn 2 to counter attack a Korea landing with Japanese island planes and Manchurian land units.

Has this sort of US invasion happened often in your games? Maybe it's a US strategy we have underestimated. We tend to focus on the strategic island bases with the US.

jamesaleman wrote:
Secure the other island chain by turn 5, and you are out producing the allies. by turn 5 China is lucky to collect 3-4 IPCs a turn. Once they are eliminated, just build transports in Japan to force the US to defend Hawaii, and move them to Caroline islands, from there you choose either Hawaii or New South Wales for the win. Remember Caroline Islands is in range of West australia, and if you drop a naval base there, transports there can swing to Malaya for a refill, and with 10 transports [5 at each end], 10 land units a turn can be shuttled to W. Australia every turn.

Do you find that Western Australia is a good staging point for an assault on New South Wales? It just seems there are too many turns of land movement between WA and NSW. BTW there are only two spaces between WA and Malaya, so you don't need to build a base in WA to shuttle. The ability to go to Caroline islands from WA is of course nice.

jamesaleman wrote:
By turn 3, there is no need for Japanese air units in Asia, except for maybe bombers, the rest can help hold key islands. Turn 3 spend 12-15 a turn for land units on Malaya and the rest is fleet to match the US's 55 IPCs.

Thats a good point. I think I tend to keep too many planes on the Asian mainland in the mid-game. But maye thats because I have focussed on actually taking India, instead of just containing them.

jamesaleman wrote:

I fear that investing in both a LARGE IC in the South Eastern mainland AND a minor one in the North is too much of an investment in things that don't shoot. Do you really need a large IC on the mainland? If India is isolated to collect 3-4 IPCs it should be possible to match them with a minor factory(?). Also is the factory in the north really needed? Could you please elaborate on the merits of such a buy?

You are right, I am worried about the United States being able to liberate a UK territory and taking control of it while its capital is in Japanese control. This would enable them to place a control marker there, collect the income, and build a factory if held.

US Korean Factory Strategy, has not happened often. I have used it against a Japanese player before. I just wanted a strategy that addresses Japan's perceived weaknesses. Without a US factory, Japan can place infantry on Japan faster than the US can stage a fleet to assault it. With a Malaya factory and the Home Island one, Japan can place a fleet closer to the other contested regions like Caroline Islands.

You are right about not needing the Naval base to reach Malaya, I was thinking of the implied threat since it enables an amphibious invasion of India and also allows a north route to New south wales by sea if the allies place a DD each round to block the south route. The naval base also permits a fleet stationed there to reach Philippines and Caroline Islands, if the fleet needs to move north to dislodge a US occupation of Sea zone 6/Japanese water. The threat to India, keeps any built up force from moving out of India, unless they choose to vacate.

The large factory permits a 10 land unit build on turn 4, which combined with 4 bombers should be enough to clear any straggling Chinese resistance in later rounds, since my air force moves to the islands. The main role of the minor factory up north is to be able to maintain a land force able to repel an effort for Korea, it also prevents China from focusing on a North route, since it is built on turn 2, on turn 3 the Major Factory and 3 M. Infantry for this factory only cost 42 IPCs. Turn 5 is when most of my naval builds begin, outside of my turn 1 transport build, and turn 2 minor factory/carrier/dd/2 infantry build.[ Turn 4 I tend to build 10 mech Infantry on Malaya to give my bombers teeth in asia. turn 5 and later, I use 55 IPCs to match U.S. and the rest is land force. Keep in mind, you do adjust as needed if the allies force it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.