Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time last night. None of us had played before. We had a blast and almost everything is intuitive in the game, but just to make sure on a couple of issues:

General Questions

(1) It doesn't explicitly say so in the rules, but multiple players can be on the same location of Galactica at the same time, right? Everyone playing could take turns using the Battlestar's guns in succession?

(2) In our game the humans won, though we had something like 1 morale, 1 food, and 2 fuel left by the time we jumped to Frackin' Kobol. We had plenty of population, though, and had almost no real space combat during the game. Starbuck was playing, and she launched in a viper a couple of times, but never even got to take a shot because we were shooting things down with our two nukes and Galactica's guns, and jumped out of there when the board got totally crazy with cylons everywhere. Is that normal? I though the actual ship to ship space combat would be a bigger part of the game. Was it just a coincidence that other crises seemed far more significant in our game?

(3) Nukes can be fired from anywhere, right?

(4) We found the raptors pretty much useless. There were very, very few opportunities to gain any meaningful resources, and looking at the next card in the crisis deck didn't seem like the best use of an action ever. Is that normal, or are raptors actually really important in the game?

The Brig

(5) Can a player moved to the Brig still use leadership cards to move other players around the ship?

(6) Who becomes admiral if all players are either in the brig or revealed cylons?

(7) Staying in the brig is actually very beneficial for the humans some times, right? You don't draw a crisis card when you are in the brig, so while you cannot reveal any new movements on the FTL jump preparation track, at least you can use your actions to play cards and do other things that help the team without also making things worse with a new crisis. Does that sounds right?

Revealed Cylons

(8) They only ever get one super crisis card, right? They can exchange it at the Resurrection ship if they want a different one, but once it is played, there is no way for them to get a second super crisis, right?

Space Combat

(9) If a large clump of cylon raiders (say five) is in a sector with a single civilian fleet ship and cylon raiders are activated, then do all of them spend their turn shooting at the civilian ship (obviously overkill, but a sort of simultaneous action issue), or is one randomly used to destroy the ship and the other four pursue the next target by moving?

(10) When a player uses the location on Galactica that allows him to "activate two vipers", does that option allow him to activate one viper twice?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
We played for the first time last night. None of us had played before. We had a blast and almost everything is intuitive in the game, but just to make sure on a couple of issues:

General Questions

(1) It doesn't explicitly say so in the rules, but multiple players can be on the same location of Galactica at the same time, right? Everyone playing could take turns using the Battlestar's guns in succession?

Yes.

Blue Steel wrote:
(2) In our game the humans won, though we had something like 1 morale, 1 food, and 2 fuel left by the time we jumped to Frackin' Kobol. We had plenty of population, though, and had almost no real space combat during the game. Starbuck was playing, and she launched in a viper a couple of times, but never even got to take a shot because we were shooting things down with our two nukes and Galactica's guns, and jumped out of there when the board got totally crazy with cylons everywhere. Is that normal? I though the actual ship to ship space combat would be a bigger part of the game. Was it just a coincidence that other crises seemed far more significant in our game?

This is common. BSG isn't really a space combat game - it's more about the crises.

Blue Steel wrote:
(3) Nukes can be fired from anywhere, right?

Yes.

Blue Steel wrote:
(4) We found the raptors pretty much useless. There were very, very few opportunities to gain any meaningful resources, and looking at the next card in the crisis deck didn't seem like the best use of an action ever. Is that normal, or are raptors actually really important in the game?

"Launch Scout" is one of the most useful actions you can take. It allows you to avoid the worse crises, but more importantly allows you a better chance of coming up with a jump prep icon.

Blue Steel wrote:
The Brig

(5) Can a player moved to the Brig still use leadership cards to move other players around the ship?

Yes.

Blue Steel wrote:
(6) Who becomes admiral if all players are either in the brig or revealed cylons?

The player highest in the line of succession in the Brig becomes Admiral. As soon as someone leaves the Brig however, the admiralty is passed to them.

Blue Steel wrote:
(7) Staying in the brig is actually very beneficial for the humans some times, right? You don't draw a crisis card when you are in the brig, so while you cannot reveal any new movements on the FTL jump preparation track, at least you can use your actions to play cards and do other things that help the team without also making things worse with a new crisis. Does that sounds right?

Yes.

Blue Steel wrote:
Revealed Cylons

(8) They only ever get one super crisis card, right? They can exchange it at the Resurrection ship if they want a different one, but once it is played, there is no way for them to get a second super crisis, right?

Correct.

Blue Steel wrote:
Space Combat

(9) If a large clump of cylon raiders (say five) is in a sector with a single civilian fleet ship, then do all of them spend their turn shooting at the civilan ship (obviously overkill, but a sort of simultaneous action issue), or is one randomly used to destroy the ship and the other four pursue the next target by moving?

Only one would fire, the others would move.

Blue Steel wrote:
(10) When a player uses the location on Galactica that allows him to "activate two vipers", does that option allow him to activate one viper twice?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Everyone can be on the same location, though it is better to have people spread out and to use Executive Orders.

2 - It really just depends on the way the fleet crisis cards come up.

3 - Yep, just remember launching one is an action.

4 - Scouting can be a huge thing to make sure you get jump icons, or to scout the destination deck to either have a check on the admiral or to get rid of undesirable destinations.

5 - Not sure what you mean by move other people around. They can play an XO, but at that point the recipient of the XO has complete control.

6 - The highest ranked player in the brig, though once someone gets out, they become the admiral.

7 - At times, just remember that a player in the brig can only contribute one card to a check, so there's a major drawback.

8 - In the base game, yes. The expansion changes that.

9 - No, one destroys the civilian, the others move on.

10 - Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great answers and confirmations, Chris and David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to say, Chris' answer to question 2 is contentious at best!

Be wary Ben, you'll soon play a game where you're crying out for pilots! You are completely at the mercy of the deck...

... My group has had games where fleet attacks came up after every jump and we lost one of our two pilots as a Cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "mercy of the deck" bit for #2 is one of the "little" beefs many have with the game. Trying to ensure more ships show up, nothing worse than a quiet ride jump after jump after jump.

Did you win when you jumped TO Kobol, or "away FROM" Kobol? Kobol is where you get to with distance 8 or better. THEN you need one more jump to succeed. Your wording sounds like you arrived, so you won.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Did you win when you jumped TO Kobol, or "away FROM" Kobol? Kobol is where you get to with distance 8 or better. THEN you need one more jump to succeed. Your wording sounds like you arrived, so you won.

Gerry

We did the "one more jump" as required by the rules. It seemed to me that that was meant to be the last jump "to Kobol" though, as on all the other jumps (including the one that took us past 8 on the distance record), we drew destinations (which obviously weren't Kobol). Only after exceeding 8 do you jump again without drawing a new destination, so I assumed that meant your final jump was to Kobol. But maybe that final jump is actually to Earth?

We were also frustrated by inconsistencies in the rulebook. For example, the admiral card and the rulebook had totally different success numbers for nukes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Blue Steel wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

Gerry

We did the "one more jump" as required by the rules. It seemed to me that that was meant to be the last jump "to Kobol" though, as on all the other jumps (including the one that took us past 8 on the distance record), we drew destinations (which obviously weren't Kobol). Only after exceeding 8 do you jump again without drawing a new destination, so I assumed that meant your final jump was to Kobol. But maybe that final jump is actually to Earth?

We were also frustrated by inconsistencies in the rulebook. For example, the admiral card and the rulebook had totally different success numbers for nukes.

Aside from the erratad Admiral Card, what other inconsistencies did you find?

I think the general consensus is that 8+ distance gets you to Kobol, and the last jump is to get you away from Kobol, and back on the road to Earth. I don't think it really maters mechanicaly. Note that you don't draw a destination card on the last jump, the humans simply win.

I would also say, that while you are somewhat at the mercy of the deck, there are ways to control your fate. Choosing a good mixture of characters is a great way to mitigate, and as was already discussed, Launch Scout is a very good use of an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the general consensus was that the final jump took you to Kobol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE-reading the posts above, I can see how the Kobol objective card, which is the same size as other destination cards, implies it is the Destination of the final, winning , jump. I just always thought we were in orbit around Kobol after 8+ distance, what with Legendary Discovery being from there and all. Thus the next jump was "onward to Earth and victory!" But then, the jump that put you AT the 8+ mark already has a Destiantion, be it "Deep space", or whatever you drew. So it MUST be that the final jump is TO Kobol. Huh, never saw it that way before, and now can't imagine it any other way.

The New Caprica card had helped cement my earlier pre-conception. AT 7+ you arrive at New Caprica, and set up the endgame board. This reinforced my idea that AT 8+ you were AT Kobol. But once you read the viewpoint above, it just all goes "poof". Neat.

eta: But those were always my "internal envisioning" of where we were. I don't know that we ever would have said that in a forum. So I don't know that there was a "consensus" either way. Though, had you asked me, I'd have sworn that some of the forums, perhaps the games reviews, used phrases like "one last jump Past Kobol to win". But that's subject to the same "fuzzy impression" I had of the objective in the first place.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.