Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Work continues on my board game, which I am about to playtest with friends again tonight. I'm thinking about trying a two-on-two game where both players on one team move their units at the same time, and can coordinate attacks. I'm hoping that this will reduce downtime for individual players and reduce the overall playing time of the game (three or four player games sometimes take five or six hours, while two player games are usually around three hours).

Does anyone have any experience with this that they'd like to share? The mechanics of the game should be able to handle coordinated attacks. I'm just not sure if it will be unbalancing to have two players from the same team moving their forces together. I'm also worried this could make the game take even longer, if the players have trouble coming up with a joint plan of attack.

We're going to try it, hopefully tonight. But I'd still like to hear from anyone who's played a game like this.

Thanks for any info or advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few. The biggest issue is giving something for both players to do. It works best with large scale games, OCS, TDC and others that are easily split up between players and have enough distance between them that each individuals moves will not effect another.

Yes it will take time for each side to discuss, but this might be part of the fun. The time taken to discuss needs to be offset by the time saved having two players move, if you don't have enough units to move, you won't gain anything in this regard, so I tend to think large scale is important for this stuff or at least perhaps semi-hidden information for each player like cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
I've played a few. The biggest issue is giving something for both players to do. ...

I'm NOT talking about having two people share the responsibilities of controlling the SAME army. Each player would be in control of their OWN armies, their OWN empires, so there would be plenty to do.

Thanks for the response, Colin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool gotcha Dave, sorry if I misread your post. In that case it sounds all good to move at once, I would simply use a separate combat phase to resolve battles. So the turn sequence would be everyone moves (done simultaneously), with some sort of tie breaking mechanism if you need to resolve who moves first and then do combats sequentially. Goodluck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, it works perfectly well with World in Flames. And often it can and will require quite involved co-ordination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruleroftheuniverse wrote:
Work continues on my board game, which I am about to playtest with friends again tonight. I'm thinking about trying a two-on-two game where both players on one team move their units at the same time, and can coordinate attacks. I'm hoping that this will reduce downtime for individual players and reduce the overall playing time of the game (three or four player games sometimes take five or six hours, while two player games are usually around three hours).

Does anyone have any experience with this that they'd like to share? The mechanics of the game should be able to handle coordinated attacks. I'm just not sure if it will be unbalancing to have two players from the same team moving their forces together. I'm also worried this could make the game take even longer, if the players have trouble coming up with a joint plan of attack.

The closest I can think of playing is Diplomacy. In this case, each player handles movement through simultaneously-revealed written orders.

In my view, it should be difficult for people from two empires to work together even if there is a very firm alliance. One modern example that I'm thinking of is the invasion of Sicily in WWII, where British and American forces coordinated the invasion. Each country had its own attack path and objectives; they didn't fight together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
kentreuber wrote:
The closest I can think of playing is Diplomacy.

If you think you and another player are on the same side in Diplomacy, you are probably about to be stabbed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings of War: Famous Aces does this well...but uses maneuvering cards set out(hidden) before the turn, and in sets of three....it makes for some interesting outcomes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses, folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
World in Flames can be played this way.

Both sides naturally split into two or more factions/allies.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is simultaneous movement or chit pull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses all. I playtested it and moving at the same time seems to work just fine so far. I'm not sure yet if it gives too much of an advantage to the team that gets to go first, I'll playtest it some more. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.