Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Traders of Osaka» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacing Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's say I take a card from the market on my turn. That leaves 4 cards in the Market. Does a card come from the Farm at the start of the next players turn and a new card is turned up at the Farm? Or does the Market stay at 4 for the next players turn?

Let's say that the Market is at 4 cards and Player 2 reserves a card. That means that player 3 only has 2 cards to choose from?

I'm confused a little.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
quatsch wrote:
Let's say I take a card from the market on my turn. That leaves 4 cards in the Market. Does a card come from the Farm at the start of the next players turn and a new card is turned up at the Farm? Or does the Market stay at 4 for the next players turn?

Just so we're clear, if you 'take a card', you are taking the card as 'coin'. After taking coin (as opposed to 'buying goods'), there is normally nothing else to do before the next person's turn. The exception is when, after your turn, there are no cards in the market that can be purchased or taken as coin by the next player. This could happen if you took the last card in the market, or their only remains cards reserved by players other than the next player. In this case, the market is replenished, same as if you had bought the entire market.

In your example above, no cards are replaced.

Quote:
Let's say that the Market is at 4 cards and Player 2 reserves a card. That means that player 3 only has 2 cards to choose from?

If there were 4 unreserved cards prior to Player 2's turn, then no, there would now be 3 cards for Player 3 to choose from.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quatsch wrote:
Let's say I take a card from the market on my turn. That leaves 4 cards in the Market. Does a card come from the Farm at the start of the next players turn and a new card is turned up at the Farm?


No.

quatsch wrote:
Or does the Market stay at 4 for the next players turn?


Yes, the market stays at four cards for the next player's turn.

quatsch wrote:
Let's say that the Market is at 4 cards and Player 2 reserves a card. That means that player 3 only has 2 cards to choose from?


Correct, player #3 will only have two cards to choose from.

quatsch wrote:
I'm confused a little.


The following instructions are from the Universal Head TRADERS OF CARTHAGE Rules Summary:

If the Market has no cards (or only reserved cards of other players) at the start of your turn, or if you buy goods from the Market, replace cards.
1. All cards in the Farm transfer to the Market (Reservation pieces remain with the cards).
2. Draw 2 cards and place them at the end of the Market.
3. Draw 3 cards and place them in the Farm.
Then continue your turn.

Edited to remove incorrect statement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The market gets filled with the 3 cards from the farm plus 2 more whenever:

1) Anyone *buys* cards (not picking them up for coins)

or

2) The current player has nothing he can do (no cards to take or buy, as only marked cards by other players are left).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
heenenee wrote:
You only move cards from the Farm to the Market if the current player has no cards to take.
I (and others) thought that was the case, based on a literal reading of the rules. But the publisher says that you always replenish the market after a buy, even if it contains a card reserved by the next player.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks. I do play the game as you describe, but I posted incorrectly. Thanks for the correction.

pastabatman wrote:
heenenee wrote:
You only move cards from the Farm to the Market if the current player has no cards to take.
I (and others) thought that was the case, based on a literal reading of the rules. But the publisher says that you always replenish the market after a buy, even if it contains a card reserved by the next player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.