Four investigators:

Paul.............Harvey Walters
Rob..............Darrell Simmons
Mark............Gloria Goldberg
Marty............Kate Winthrop
A.O..............Yig
Time began...7:20 P.M.
Time ended...11:15 P.M.

At the beginning of the game the first Mythos card drawn was "Spawn of Yog Sothoth". Things looked bleak early on since this environmental card gave Cultists magical immunity in addition to their boosted stamina of 4 (they are worshippers of Yig). The first gate opened at the Unnamable which lead to Another Dimension, and no clue appeared because it was to be where the gate just opened. Morale quickly improved when Gloria came across a new spell: Arcane Insight. Kate ran into bad luck with her encounter at the Silver Twilight Lodge; she was offered a memebership by Carl Sanford. There was a dice check that allowed Kate to roll as many dice as she was willing to risk her sanity. Having 6, she decided she was safe rolling 4 dice. Everything failed. The other 2 sanity were lost as well and she ended up in the Asylum.

The second Mythos card was another environment card - "Rash of Graffiti" which increased the penality of closing/sealing gates to -2. A gate opened i nthe Woods and a new clue appeared at Independence Square.

The next Mythos was the headline, "High Tides". A monster surge was about to befall Arkham, due to a gate opening at the Woods. Darrell Simmons was able to stop it with his Pennant. Another clue came out at Independence Square.

During the next round, Gloria was attacked in the street by the Hounds of Tikdalos. She decided to fight the hounds, but lost the first round. She then defeated them with her next attack. Harvey attacked a Dimensional Shamblar and soundly killed it. Darrell Simmons went shopping and decided he needed a car. Bad luck befalls Kate again. During an encounter, she sees someone battling a monster and decides to help, thinking she will gain an Ally. Kate ends up being killed and is then sent to the hospital. A new environmental Mythos is drawn which reports "Slugs". Fight and Speed checks are now made at -1. A gate appears at Independence Square (Kate is at the hospital, or she could have prevented it), and a clue does not come out at the Unnamable, due to an open gate.

"Strange Murders" was the new headline Mythos. Flying monsters gained +2 to their toughness and increased their overwhelming ability by 1. A new gate opened at the Unvisited Isle, and a clue came out at the Science Building.

Harvey came across Arcane Insight when he was searching the spell deck and decided to cast it now. Good thing he succeeded, because TWO of the next three Mythos cards triggered the next acts. The Mythos that was put in play was a new environment: "Virulent Disease". Three investigators had already moved to the hospital and were about to ward off the disease by getting a token. No gate opened and no clue appeared.

Harvey was successful in using his Arcane Insight and saw that a new gate was about to open at the Witch House, which was in walking distance for Kate. She strolled over and kept it from happening. A clue appeared at the Black Cave. This Mythos Card was "Strength of the Earth", a new environment that increased the toughness, combat damage and horror damage of monsters who had moon symbols by 1. Luckily, no monsters were out with that symbol. Also, during the Arkham Movement Phase, Gloria went through a gate and appeared in the City of the Great Race.

In the next Upkeep Phase, Harvey, again, rolled his Arcane Insight and saw that another gate was about to open at the Witch House. Kate stayed there and prevented it. The Mythos we had here was "New Miskatonic Curriculum", which gave an investigater +2 to a Lore check if a Tome is read in the Library. Clue appeared at the Black Cave.

After succeeding with A.I. again, Harvey saw a new a gate would open at the Graveyard. Again Kate was able to get there and keep it from happening. The Mythos was "Mirages of Lakes". This made investigators move along the black arrows only, while moving between streets. No gate, and no clue - the clue was to come out at the Unvisited Isle, where an open gate was already there.

Harvey rolled his A.I. successfully in the next round. Gloria came back from the City of the Great Race and seals the first gate. The Mythos was "Police Proclaim Cult Crackdown", all Cultists are returned to the cup. A gate opening at the Unvisited Isle causes a monster surge, which Darrell cannot control with a pennant this time. Luckily in the surge, there are a couple of Cultists that immediately get returned. Another clue is at the Science Building.

With his successful A.I. roll, Harvey determines another gate is about to open at the Unvisited Isle, which will result in a yet another monster surge. We determined that is o.k., because some of us have aquired some hard-hitting weapons and we need the trophies. The elderly professor has toured the Dreamlands and comes out this round. He surprises the party by taking on a Maniac and a Ghost, and vanquishes both with ease. The gate is closed, but Harvey does not have enough clue tokens to seal it. The Mythos gives us a gate and a monster surge at the Unnamable (who would have thought?) No clue appears because of an open gate.

Harvey, exhausted from touring the Dreamlands and the battle with two monsters upon his return to Arkham, fails his next check for Arcane Insight. Gloria fights and collects a Bykhee trophie that was about to attack Kate. The Mythos revealed Act I.

Arcane Insight is successful for Harvey this time. Darrell returns from his visit to the other world and seals the gate. the monster hunting professor becomes Deputy of Arkham at the Police Station, turning in 5 monster toughness and 1 gate. The new Mythos is "Off Broadway". The purchase price of items is increased by $1.00. No gate, no clue. Nothing else of great interest happens.

Harvey rolls his A.I. again and sees Act II. beginning soon. He then fights a Formless Spawn and kills it. Act II. then begins.

Arcane Insight works again. Harvey combated 2 Riot Monsters, and with the help of his Storm of Sprits spell; both are killed. Kate prevented a gate from opening at the Black Cave and through an encounter here, gains a Thompson, chambered in .45 ACP to use in addition to her Gladius of Carcosa (separtely, of course, since the submachine gun requires both hands). The Mythos was "Unusual Moon Rises". This gave a +1 to Sneak/Lore, but Will checks now have a -2 modifier. A clue appeared at Hibbs Roadhouse, but no gate opened due to a sealed gate on that location.

Kate jumped through her first gate that took her to the Abyss. Harvey met an ally at Ma's, Gloria had an Arkham encounter and Darrell tooled around town in his new car. "The Tattered King" was the Mythos. No gate opened and no clue came out, but 2 doom tokens were added to Yig's doom track. The ongoing effect of "The Tattered King" would not be an issue, since we were within 3 rounds of awakening our lizzard-like enemy. This could not have been forseen or delayed, because Harvey rolled poorly and didn't get his Arcane Insight" for the round.

In Round XIV, Harvey moves to encounter a vampire. He ended up losing his horror check, but eventually wins the combat round. Gloria and Darrell have Arkham encounters. In her encounter in the Abyss, Kate finds a tree covered in blood standing in front of her. Lucky for her, she passes a Luck (-1) check and it turns out to be only a tree. Arkane Insight worked for Harvey and the Mythos choses to be first was "The Repair of Reputations". A second gate opened at Independence Square and cause another surge. A clue was found at the Unnamable.

Kate then returned from the Abyss and sealed the gate that led to it. This put the only the second Elder Sign on the board for us since the other gates were only closed (no wonder Yid was getting restless). Arcane Insight was obtained. Because we were so close to the final battle, Act II. was allowed to come out and pass time.

During the next movement phase, everyone who could made a mad dash to South Church to become blesses. As we interpreted Yig's sheet, a blessing would be discarded to not be cursed. Kate was stopped by 4 monsters, and successfully evades every one. Unfortunately, she is left on the streets and is attacked by a flying monster (forgot what it was), but defeats it. Harvey, the heroic professor, battles the 4 monsters Kate evaded and killed every one of them for more trophies. A.I. was achieved, and in his excitment, the author did not make notes about what the next Mythos card was as his sanity leval was pretty diminished...

The Mythos in Round XVIII was an environment - "Two Sunsets". This gave a -1 modifier to all sneak/will checks. A gate opened at the Black Cave and a gave a clue at Hibbs Road House. Everyone focused on getting to locations that would allow the purchase of weapons and equipment, or healed themselves at the asylum or hospital.

Round XIX - Arcane Insight is rolled. The Mythos is "Bizzare Careers" which allows trading in Arkham from any location at the loss of 1 sanity. A gate appears at the Graveyard and a clue at the Unvisited Isle. Thanks to the earlier Mythos that added 2 doom track tokens and now the new gate, Yig awoke and everyone adjusted their sliders in preparation for the final combat. Some further trading of spells and weapons took place to balance the party out. Kate opens her Third Eye to throw off Yig's curse, but Darrell Simmons could not get his opened, and thus received the curse (the others were blessed at So. Church). Just when the party thought they were doomed, everyone began rolling very well in their attacks (except Darrell, who now needed a 6 to hit). It was not uncomon for each of us to score 3 and sometimes all 4 hits to take one of Yig's doom tokens. Unfortunately, the number of combat rounds was not recorded, but on the Yig's last attack, round Darrell was mortally wounded and died. Kate was the first player at the time Yig awoke and to avenge Darrell, delt the final blow that took all 4 hits on Yig's last doom token. Darrell's body was brought back with the investigators and a proper funeral was held in the funeral home Kate is employed at.

The game ended in 19 rounds and just under 4 hours. This was a total contrast to the last time we played KiY, which saw the investigators being devoured by Nylathotep due to the Third Act coming out. Here's the session reoprt. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/497555/four-investigator... As I've seen others say, having Kate Winthrou and Arcane Insight in play makes all the difference in the world. Our group has only played Arkham and 2 of the expansions a total of 6 times and this was the first in which the A.O. came out to fight. Were we correct in thinking that when combat is begun with Yig, investigators with blessings simply discard the blessing to avoid being cursed, or do they really ward off a curse from an A.O.? I thought I would also mention that toward the end of the game, we discovered that we could have ended the game and won sooner if we had saved our gate trophies instead of cashing some of them in. Oh, well, it was fun to fight an A.O. and live to tell about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vito 1 wrote:
At the beginning of the game the first Mythos card drawn was "Spawn of Yog Sothoth". Things looked bleak early on since this environmental card gave Cultists magical immunity in addition to their boosted stamina of 4 (they are worshippers of Yig).

I was all like, what the hell is he talking about, then realised you left out a word . "Boosted stamina damage of 4" is what you meant I think.

Quote:
The first gate opened at the Unnamable which lead to Another Dimension, and no clue appeared because it was to be where the gate just opened.

AFAIK, there are no Mythos cards that will place a clue at the same location as the gate listed on it (in case of Spawn of Yog-Sothoth places Clue at Woods, while opening at Unnamable).

Quote:
During the next round, Gloria was attacked in the street by the Hounds of Tikdalos.

Hound will only move to an investigator in a location, never to one on a street. Unless the Hound got placed on a street by a Mythos "2 monsters appear".

Quote:
Harvey rolls his A.I. again and sees Act II. beginning soon. He then fights a Formless Spawn and kills it. Act II. then begins.

Arcane Insight works again.

I think he's cast AI now for about 6-7 turns in a row. Since AI has Sanity Cost of 1 and no mention of a visit to the Asylum, wouldn't Harvey have gone insane already? Note that his ability only helps him with Sanity losses, not costs (like with Spells).

Quote:
Harvey combated 2 Riot Monsters, and with the help of his Storm of Sprits spell; both are killed.

Did he have 2x of the spell, since it is exhausted in his fight against the first one, meaning he would have to dig up another weapon for the second Riot (each combat is separate)?

Quote:
Kate opens her Third Eye to throw off Yig's curse

Did she have the Spell/Effect already up an running when the final combat started? If so, then it's okay, but TE doesn't remove a Curse if used after you are Cursed (as spelled out on the card itself).

Also, were the Riots the only thing the KiY Herald did? Did Terror only go up by 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclosure: I played Darrell Simmons, the photographer, in this game.

I was going to post a question about Harvey Walters' ability in the forum, but Rauli brought up my concern. The professor's ability is to reduce sanity by one when losing sanity. We played that this was any loss – and this had the impact of making him a formidable spell caster (even better than the Magician!). Rauli indicates this only applies to losses, not costs, which is a subtle but important distinction that we missed.

Vito 1 has the notes from the session and he can respond to the other questions raised. This is why I think posting session reports is a valuable part of the geek – we learn how different people play, different strategies, and points that we may have missed in the rules. Thanks, Rauli, you are helping to make us better players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cost vs Loss thing seems to be one of those things many new players miss (even though the FAQ clarifies the issue).

"Q: Does the Strong Mind ability (reduce all Sanity loss
by 1) of the professor, Harvey Walters, apply to the casting
of spells?
A: No. The professor’s ability works on losses, not costs.
The same distinction applies to the gangster, Michael
McGlen, and his ability to reduce Stamina losses." (p. 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
"Harvey combatted 2 Riot monsters, and with the help of his Storm of Spirits spell; both are killed."

The text on the back of the Riot monsters also direct you to increase the terror level by one each time a Riot monster is defeated, so your modifier would have been at -3.

Nicely-written session report. The King in Yellow will not forget your lapses, so enjoy your victory while you can.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only on a roll of 4-6 does Terror go up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Dam the Man
I was all like, what the hell is he talking about, then realised you left out a word . "Boosted stamina damage of 4" is what you meant I think.[/q]

Yes, I see that I left out a word.

Quote:
AFAIK, there are no Mythos cards that will place a clue at the same location as the gate listed on it (in case of Spawn of Yog-Sothoth places Clue at Woods, while opening at Unnamable).

I went through the Mythos deck again, and you're right, the clue appeares at the Woods when the gate to the Unnamable opens. I had the wrong location for the clue in my notes.

Quote:
Hound will only move to an investigator in a location, never to one on a street. Unless the Hound got placed on a street by a Mythos "2 monsters appear".

Thanks for pointing that out. We somehow overlooked that the hounds attack someone in a LOCATION and not the nearest investigator who was in a street.

Quote:
I think he's cast AI now for about 6-7 turns in a row. Since AI has Sanity Cost of 1 and no mention of a visit to the Asylum, wouldn't Harvey have gone insane already? Note that his ability only helps him with Sanity losses, not costs (like with Spells).

As Rob (Barteus) pointed out, this is where we cheated in a big way. We didn't see/understand the difference between the loss of sanity and the cost. Harvey did use his A.I. several times, and this would have drastically changed the outcome of the game.

Quote:
Did he have 2x of the spell, since it is exhausted in his fight against the first one, meaning he would have to dig up another weapon for the second Riot (each combat is separate)?

Harvey did have 2x of Storm of Spirits

Quote:
Did she have the Spell/Effect already up an running when the final combat started? If so, then it's okay, but TE doesn't remove a Curse if used after you are Cursed (as spelled out on the card itself).

Knowing the final battle was looming near, Kate cast TE the round before Yig awakened.

Quote:
Also, were the Riots the only thing the KiY Herald did? Did Terror only go up by 1?

Here's another grey area for us. We did not use any of the Yellow Sign markers during this game, and if I remember correctly, the Terror Track did only advance once. The last time we played, we had several Yellow Sign markers out and the Terror Track increased rapidly. We could have very well overlooked something I am not considering now.

Thanks, Rauli, for taking the time to read throught my report and correct our mistakes. It helps to have some A.H. veterans tell us what we did wrong. This was only the second time we have played KiY, and our seventh or eighth time to play A.H. all together (with or without expansions). We played Curse of the Dark Pharoah this afternoon, and we don't think we cheated this time! I started out making notes for another report, but decided just to play instead. Arkham's one of my favorite games and even though we just finished playing a couple of hours ago, I'm wanting to go through it again.

Regards,
Marty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

Nicely-written session report. The King in Yellow will not forget your lapses, so enjoy your victory while you can.

Brian

Thanks! I'm sure the king will be looking for revenge when the play comes to town next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.