Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McClenaghan
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After two plays, we think we have the rules down, but we're in agreement with another poster who complained that gameplay extends too long because of the long odds required to would Brimstone.

Currently, Brimstone may be attacked by either the hero, or any number of adjacent non-hero units.

It is far more common that only the hero attacks which, in a best case scenario (the dragon is not enraged, and not getting the defensive bonus from his lair) the attacking player rolls 2d6+5 and requires a total of 13 to wound Brimstone for the first time or a 15 to wound him a 2nd or 3rd time. Yes a Dragon Card occasionally wounds Brimstone but this only happens about 20% of the time.

Unless you can create an ideal situation (something like 5 or 6 knights attacked a "normal" brimstone who isn't in his lair) then it just isn't likely you'll succeed. And even in this case, you're pretty likely to lose all your knights in the attack and won't have them back, if at all, until the next Hand.

We're going to attempt this simple rules modification.

The hero may attack with any number of Men at Arms or Knights (or Snipers acting as Men at Arms).

We'll playtest this coming Friday but welcome any suggestions prior to it. We'll post the results after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McClenaghan
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played one 1.5 hr game with the variant (with two new players) but the modification didn't come into play often. We'll try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marin
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I was thinking of getting rid of the 3rd wound requirement; i.e. get the dragonsword after success on the 2nd wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
The results with a dragon card will give you a wound fairly often too.

I find it comes about easily enough - but it takes some effort with the
non-hero pieces to increase your odds through more chances. Doing this
is really the major thought in the game, so it would be a shame to
make wounding Brimstone easy.

Two wounds might work nicely in larger player groups though -
it's too likely that Brimstone is going to get wounded and enraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.