Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi...

On another message board I've run and participated in rather rousing games of Werewolf/Mafia... and I've been trying to come up with designs of games that work on a similar mechanic (like Diplomacy - games where everyone's action in a game turn can be handles by a simultaneous submission to the gamerunner). And I've run some minigames (think 'Survivor' challenges) based on a 'Roborally' sort of setting and a 'Bang!' sort of setting (before I even knew about Bang!) and a simplified 'Take 6'.

I've considered trying to adapt Intrige to this sort of format... but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of games that are ready-made for this sort of environement... a game where competing users have to submit actions at a deadline to a game organizer who uses some set of defined rules to resolve the combination of sumbissions' impact on the state of the game... which he/she then reports to the players and sets the next suybmission deadline.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few...
Diplomacy is the big one. I'd suggest Africa:1880 (I'd run that twice). We've also had (in our gaming club) someone run Wooden Ships & Iron Men (submit Fire, then move orders). The guy who set it up did a fair amount of work to set it up, but it is a lot of fun (NOTE: Dice rolling/Hit Tables are necessary, so someone has to adjudicate). There's also a guy conversion FASA's Crimson Skies for the same format, but he hasn't made it public yet....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hsieh
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How?
How did you run the Werewolf game, if you don't mind sharing? This sounds like something pretty fun to do! Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Marker
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafiascum.net, baybee!
Don't bother putting a game together on your own -- just visit mafiascum.net/forum/ and join in the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Werewolf source
Check out:

http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/werewolf.html

general server info:

http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/

If one doesn't mind playing at the speed of email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
werewolf & other stuff
Werewolf runs well on a forum. I started a game back in January on a forum I frequent and it kind of took off on a mind of it's own. There's been over 30 games played since then with all sorts of crazy variant rules that people came up with on their own a lot of the time.

Diplomacy is good, of course, and I say check out some of the Diplomacy zines to see what other sorts of games can be run in that kind of format. Breaking Away, Industrial Waste, Sopwith, and Outpost are a few that I know are run in current dip zines.

I think if you can figure out a good way to represent the game board via a quick n dirty ASCII table then you could run just about any game really. Even Puerto Rico could be run if everyone was just willing to run it very slowly by waiting for each player to act in turn. Of course another option would be to have a graphic representation via an image file but not all forums permit this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.