Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was flying recently and had a bit of a layover in Nashville. As I wandered aimlessly around (past massage parlors, manicurists, book stores, and bars with live musicians), I thought, "This would be the perfect place for a game store." Not Nashville necessarily, but an airport. My idea: have a store that mainly specializes in travel sized games, and have an area set up for people to come and play while they're waiting for their flights. You could probably sell coffee while you're at it. I haven't come up with a good store name yet...the best I've got is Just Plane Fun, which strikes me as way too cheesy.

I have no idea of the logistics of this idea, it was just something interesting to think about while I had nothing else to do. Any other thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your idea--but I haven't flown in about 20 years, so I'm the wrong person to critique your idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just Plane Fun

Actually that sounds just about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
I was flying recently and had a bit of a layover in Nashville. As I wandered aimlessly around (past massage parlors, manicurists, book stores, and bars with live musicians), I thought, "This would be the perfect place for a game store." Not Nashville necessarily, but an airport. My idea: have a store that mainly specializes in travel sized games, and have an area set up for people to come and play while they're waiting for their flights. You could probably sell coffee while you're at it. I haven't come up with a good store name yet...the best I've got is Just Plane Fun, which strikes me as way too cheesy.

I have no idea of the logistics of this idea, it was just something interesting to think about while I had nothing else to do. Any other thoughts?

I dont think anyone is allowed to have fun in an airport. Based on pretty much everything you have to go through, I think its in the law somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I travel a bit and have at times had 3 or more hours to kill so it sounds like fun to me. Problem would be that different people have different leaving times so wouldn't get to finish hardly anything with the same people. Interesting thought and might work for card games. Would have to charge as space in an airport is usually quite expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
sasquatchdjh wrote:
I dont think anyone is allowed to have fun in an airport. Based on pretty much everything you have to go through, I think its in the law somewhere.

I would imagine that Cash n Guns is probably a bad idea.

klbush wrote:
I travel a bit and have at times had 3 or more hours to kill so it sounds like fun to me. Problem would be that different people have different leaving times so wouldn't get to finish hardly anything with the same people. Interesting thought and might work for card games. Would have to charge as space in an airport is usually quite expensive.

I'm not suggesting anything that would take more than 45 minutes to play. But there are a ton of fillers and light-weight games that would be perfect for the setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oldenkamp

Federal Way
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a kiosk where people can buy/learn games would be more affordable than a store. You could keep the cost down on the games and have a smaller inventory with just travel and games with a small footprint.

I'd be there for sure.

Love the name too.

Maybe sell old gameboys, solitaire devices, and other handhelds for the solo players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmthewitted wrote:
Maybe a kiosk where people can buy/learn games would be more affordable than a store. You could keep the cost down on the games and have a smaller inventory with just travel and games with a small footprint.

I'd be there for sure.

Love the name too.

Maybe sell old gameboys, solitaire devices, and other handhelds for the solo players.

Another thing might be a game rental such that you could borrow the gb etc for a flight then return at the other airport. Though the issues there would be to walk across the terminal to get or drop stuff off. It's kinda sad actually that it might not work out.

Cant bring a $1 bottle of water though security but you sure can get a $4 one after you pass security.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak as an authority, but I would guess that it would have a really high overhead. I don't know what kind of scratch game stores pull in, but I don't think that it would be economically feasible. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't think that it would be "worth it".

I think for it to have any chance at working it would have to specialize in more of the mass market kinds of games, and then maybe have more of the board gamer kind of games as in store gaming options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see trying to get some smaller games (esp card games) carried in the tshirt/book/souvenir stores that tend to pop up, but a store that carried nothing but games is probably too specialized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I think the Game Boy generation has beaten you to the punch. If you can penetrate the perception that games are just for children, who are engrossed with their PSP's, then you may have a fighting chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
Agent Minivann wrote:
I can't speak as an authority, but I would guess that it would have a really high overhead. I don't know what kind of scratch game stores pull in, but I don't think that it would be economically feasible. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't think that it would be "worth it".

I think for it to have any chance at working it would have to specialize in more of the mass market kinds of games, and then maybe have more of the board gamer kind of games as in store gaming options.

Spot on. Airports are effectively monopolies and act as such on pricing issues - they charge a really high premium for space. Think about that cup of coffee you buy at an airport - 2x the price, right? And brick and mortar game stores already have enough trouble competing with on-line stores and they're 25-35% discounts and free shipping. Can't readily see it happening - though it would be cool.

Thoug, even after all that, someone already with a strong business plan (coffee shop?) maybe could easily add in some games. Maybe a coffee shop could have one shelf of games (maybe a dozen titles) with ones to try out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
David_Rauscher wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:

Spot on. Airports are effectively monopolies and act as such on pricing issues - they charge a really high premium for space. Think about that cup of coffee you buy at an airport - 2x the price, right? And brick and mortar game stores already have enough trouble competing with on-line stores and they're 25-35% discounts and free shipping. Can't readily see it happening - though it would be cool.

Thoug, even after all that, someone already with a strong business plan (coffee shop?) maybe could easily add in some games. Maybe a coffee shop could have one shelf of games (maybe a dozen titles) with ones to try out?

I don't deny that it would take a ton of money. As I said, it's just speculation, not an actual plan I'm pursuing. But it's fun to dream, right?

I kind of like the kiosk idea that was posted earlier...you'd need some tables around for playing, or a counter where the clerk could teach a couple of games. You could have a chess game set up, which may draw some people in. And yes, there would have to be Travel Scrabble and other mass market stuff, but you could also have Travel Ingenious, Blokus Duo, Hive, No Thanks, and many other small travel sized games available.

But I think that an attached coffee shop would be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.