Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tristan Brightman
United Kingdom
Bristol
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at pictures from archive footage of world war two got me interested in the games. Playing them, an elite American games company produces an island of elabourate plastic, cards, and despite the relatively high level of theme dripping from their games they still weigh more than British games by 4:1.

In almost every other pair of games I compare, the disparity was even greater, with sometimes only 1 kg of British game for every 5-8 pounds of American Fantasy Flight. This obviously shows Lee Brimmicombe-Wood to be far superior in every way.

The it got me thinking about the other nations that design games. Russian games are a casualty of the tremendous language barrier, even in their elite games. The Italians, Hungarians, Czechs, other minor European designers and the French were terrible. The Chinese strategy seems to be to throw as many uneducated country peasants into component factories for the Americans until they run out of national debt.

The Germans are always considered really good, but in the 3 times I've been to Essen (2006, 2007, 2008) they are seriously pasted-on themes, and I even played more Germans that Brits. Even the elite spiel des jahres was decimated during my wargaming period, and had far less fidelic simulation than British counterparts in later games about Normandy and the 101st.

The British are more than close. Comparing Burning Blue to the American Descent, we know from my local games shop that I completely destroyed and defeated people at Descent, and it was Burning Blue that led to my only defeat.

I'm leaving the Finns out because they never designed with a British designer, and only sell to Yanks who have the most...conservative of tastes concerning the brilliance of their wargames.

Could it be that Brits are the best wargame designers of any nation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rotfling
how to make monday in office less sad...!thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to quote a fellow BGGer (SJBenoist):

"No offense, but some of your statements appear to be trolling."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about wargames, but the British pound for pound make the best rock music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment they're having trouble pounding out the pounds,but when they come over here next summer for the cricket we'll make sure they're well and truly pounded!!...and yes,Led Zeppelin can still pound 'em out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Atraxrobustus wrote:
At the moment they're having trouble pounding out the pounds,but when they come over here next summer for the cricket we'll make sure they're well and truly pounded!!...and yes,Led Zeppelin can still pound 'em out!

Radiohead rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you know? We always LET you win at cricket. It's the British English way....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
cstimpson wrote:
Didn't you know? We always LET you win at cricket. It's the British English way....

English and Welsh way, perhaps.

It is the England and Wales Cricket Board after all.

Wales even got to host their first (?) test last Ashes and Monthy's straight blade got them through.

Not sure how Strauss & Co will go this summer. They're coming off a big win (sans skipper) in Bangladesh and Australia face Pakistan (again) at home in England.

What a funny old world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricket the game that makes baseball look exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
supertris wrote:

Could it be that Brits are the best wargame designers of any nation?

Yorkshire Pud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to wargames, the Australians are no slouches, either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about the Canadians??!!!

The Commonwealth rules. God save the Queen!

And the French-Canadian game designers are also oh so much superior too.

We have the sophisitcation of the French, the ressources of the Americans, and the flair of the English...

Mais oui!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Not sure about wargames, but the British pound for pound make the best rock music.

No, pound for pound, the Brits make the best little baby Brits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish that I could thumb this post twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Do the Brits even make wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were using the Euro these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supertris wrote:
Comparing Burning Blue to the American Descent

I know your post was tongue-in-cheeck (tongue probably questing for that last bit of marmite), but this a bizarre comparison. The British game in your example, designed by a Brit living in Sweden, and published in the USA, is a wargame, while Descent is a steamer trunk full of plastic fantasy figures. Compare Space Hulk with Descent, if you must weigh Brits vs. Yanks. Or use a GMT title for the American entry, and compare it to a wargame published in Britain (tough choice, thousands to choose from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem, of course, for the British is their relatively long continuous military history. The result is rather elaborate unit names, histories, and symbols. All of this contributes to more ink on counters depicting British units. And with the current fashion of out-sourced printing, this has led to moisture problems, counter thickness issues and generally over-weight British counters. As result, even though their fighting performance can be quite good, the over-weight counters cause them to be rated as less effective per unit weight. So I have to say, I think British unit counters don't stack up well pound for pound. If they even stack, due to warping ...

Edit: just in case people don't get it -- it is a joke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, but I think we owe the Germans a debt of gratitude for the re-emergence of board gaming as we know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

That sort of language might get you hung drawn and quartered in some places around these parts. Got me wondering though, are British BGG'ers Europhiles or Europhobes - a poll is called for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gameslore wrote:
cornjob wrote:

That sort of language might get you hung drawn and quartered in some places around these parts. Got me wondering though, are British BGG'ers Europhiles or Europhobes - a poll is called for!

Europhile here. I'd like to pay for my Euros and CDGs with Euros, but sadly pounds are still in fashion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kallio
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's people like you what cause unrest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff

Should have put a link to the original piece of crap post for those people who might have missed out on the joke.

No band of Brothers as a historic reference quote ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Great stuff

Should have put a link to the original piece of crap post for those people who might have missed out on the joke.

No band of Brothers as a historic reference quote ?

Sadly said original post has vanished into the ether- user must have deleted his/her account. So only the parody remains. A characteristic fate of parodies, that they outlast their subject and so become opaque to future audiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
With a current exchange rate of 1.53378 USD per 1 GBP (courtesy of XE.com), it's hard to compete with the Pound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.