Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I had the opportunity to play some online abstract games on the Ludoteka site (http://www.ludoteka.com/juegos.html) against a fellow Brazilian. It was quite an enjoyable experience; we played Quarto (he played once against me and then against my son), Hex and Reversi. After these games I wanted to write short session reports to post here at the BGG but I'm not sure what is the norm: is it ok to post session reports for online games? Or should SR's only be submitted for "real" (that is F2F) games?

Another issued related to SR's: what is the minimum acceptable size for a session report? In the past I have refrained from posting session reports that are only a few lines long, because I think that that would be cheating, but just yesterday I saw a recently submitted SR that was only five lines long! And one of the lines only had the players' names!! So, my question is, how much importance do you place on size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my opinion
When I write session reports, I try to write something that I'd hopefully like to read myself. I think I've gotten better over time.

Preferably, try to write something about the strategies tried, or some twist that the game took. Something that someone else could enjoy or learn from.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and who cares?
re: online versus real boards/cards
- who cares!

If you are writing about the game experience, having an actual feel of the pieces may or may not matter. Probably 75% of the time, it doesn't matter. I'd say to go ahead and add a report if you felt like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG.CON VFM Sales OVER now, thanks!
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well..
I normally only write reports for FTF games. But, taking the previous reply to heart, I just posted my first session report for an online game. It's not the greatest ... but we're not all Joe Gola!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Thiffault
Canada
St-Laurent
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Size...
Well, if you look at my reports, I basically say who I play with, what happend during the game. Like this person did that so another did this bla bla, and my thoughts on the gameplay and about who won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Content
The only important aspect is that others can learn something about the game: what it's like, strategy, how people feel about it, etc. Sometimes it's useful to look a typical scores for N players, but even then raw scores aren't enough. You need to know why the scores are where they are -- for example, there may have been out-of-control bidding wars where the money went to the bank, depressing the economy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex tournaments?
If online games are kosher, then I could send in lots of session reports for all the Hex and Twixt games I play. For example there was a realtime Hex tournament yesterday, Saturday September 18 2004, on the Kurnik server at http://www.kurnik.org/ where I placed 2nd out of 20 players. But I don't post them for two reasons:

1. I get very little if any feedback from all my posts extolling the virtues of my two favorite games.

2. I would want to talk about the specific moves of the games I played, where the mistakes and the good moves by both sides were, that sort of thing. But such a report would be very dry and difficult to follow without diagrams. I have been asking for BGG to allow users to upload position images which would not clutter up the images page for that game, but which would be given a number that could be referenced for inclusion in session reports, journal entries, etc.

If I could include images, then maybe more people would become interested in the game...

**** WARNING **** Topic shift

Besides realtime, there is also turn-based play. Since a session report requires a date, the implication would seem to be that games which take weeks or months to finish are not supposed to be included. But there are lots of interesting slow games; in fact the quality of play is arguably improved when players take over a day on each move. Such games might be more "worthy of record" than realtime games. What do you think?

And then there are games against computer opponents. Both the board and the opponent are virtual. The quality of play might still be worth looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn based games
Hi David!

You wrote:

Besides realtime, there is also turn-based play. Since a session report requires a date, the implication would seem to be that games which take weeks or months to finish are not supposed to be included.

Are you saying I cannot write a session report for Campaign for North Africa?

But now, seriously, I think that games that take over multiple sessions are ok to post. I, myself, just recently wrote a session report about a Chess tournament that spanned an entire week.

But there are lots of interesting slow games; in fact the quality of play is arguably improved when players take over a day on each move. Such games might be more "worthy of record" than realtime games. What do you think?

I wouldn't say "more worthy", but if there were interesting turns of events during the game, I think it is worth writing about it.

And then there are games against computer opponents. Both the board and the opponent are virtual. The quality of play might still be worth looking at.

Well, I guess here I draw the line... Games against a computer seem to be a bit dry on interesting events. The fun thing about FtF games is the comments people make, the jokes, the suffering, the emotions, etc. What can you say about a game against the computer? Dry, dry, dry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I will only ever be submitting Session Reports for face to face games.

Oh and if I ever play War in Europe again - which is much more playable than Campaign for North Africa I will just put the start date and mention in the body of the session report how long it took and when it finished - no problemo with the date thang meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.