West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working, over the past few months on an AI programme which can simulate opponents in a game of WK. I am by no means a programmer and therefore my attempt is a little simplistic. Add to that the fact that it is written in a combination on Excel and Visual basic. However, it appears to be able to simulate mst elements of the game including:

Choice of stronghold position at set -up, secret missions and several random characteristics which result in AI players having different stances towards other players and certain decisions including risk taking vs risk averse for example.
I have also added 4 difficulty levels which impact the interaction.
Voting on Assembly Agenda items (all cards mapped with the exception of private motions)
Decisions to Muster Forces, Draft Mercs, Fund expeditions, choose players to take church cards and purchase advancements
Decide on which opponents to target and therefore which action cards to play.

The main "issue" is the requirement to enter data on a turn-by-turn basis as the programme uses a combination of data entered, AI characteristics and random numbers to make decisions.

Most elements of the original game and the expansion are included. However, I would welcome comments on whether people think such a programme is useful and what barriers there may be to distribution,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly try it, and depending on how intuitive the UI is, it might be useful to give to players so that they understand how the rules work before their first game.

As for rights, you may want to check with FFG before going any further with it. I don't know what their current policy is, but I remember a War of the Ring implementation being pulled at their request. Before you sink a bunch more time into something you can't put up, I'd see what their opinion on the matter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, although I think once you get far into it you'll find that it's a much bigger task than you initially thought. To big thumbs up to you though, for even considering doing it. I've done enough programming with VisualBASIC to know it's certainly doable with that language, but these types of programmes are actually much easier if programmed in C++ or C#. I'm not sure how you're using Excel in conjunction with VB, but my advise is to not put much effort there unless you're very confortable integrating/linking it with VB. I've done my share of integrating Excel with VB, but personally try to avoid it as it's often proved to be buggy and problematic. As well, if your familiar with, and have, the VB data and data grid controls you shouldn't really need Excel.

As to rights around distribution, I agree with Paul that you should check with FFG. I've noticed that very few of their games have Vassal modules and in fact, the WK module is a bit unusual in that the descriptive text on some cards has been deliberately ommitted. Those 2 factors would be a warning to me that they may not be so favorable to fanmade projects like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.