Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy!

I'm a geek when it comes to all things WW1 and when I saw that there was a boardgame ranked among the best of games that used a WW1 theme I knew that this was a game I had to buy. Sadly I soon realized that the game was pretty hard to get so I had to put my plans to get the game aside for a while.

That was till a couple of weeks ago when a gamestore here in Sweden offered to sell their used PoG to me for ~€30. I thought that sounded like an acceptable price and bought it. Today I picked it up at the postoffice.

So… I know this game is huge (complexity-wise and time-wise). I know there's tons and tons of stuff to learn to be able to play it well. And I also know that I have very limited experience with wargames (basically all I have is are a couple of plays of Conflict of Heroes, Twilight Struggle and 1960). The game simply scares me a little and I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark... ;)

So I'm looking for some help on how to approach this game. And I thought that perhaps someone here had something to say about it. Basically I (and the person/persons I'm going to play it with) want to learn how to play it well without getting scared by the level of complexity and the rather impressive time it seems to take to play a game. Perhaps there are some good tips on how to make the learning process fun. Perhaps there are some good resources out there that could help out a newbie...

Oh, and out of curiosity I would like to know if ~€30 was an ok price to pay for a used copy of PoG in acceptable condition.

Regards
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you paid a fair price, considering the game is tricky to find these days.

For learning, I recommend that you download Eric Brosius' guide. It helped me quite a bit, and it gives some rationale for some of the rules.

Ultimately, the sequence of play in this game is not that tricky. You just have to get comfortable with the options available to you with each card play, and slowly start to absorb all the nation-specific rules and exceptions that account for most of the words in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex,
PoG is a nice game and 30Euros is not to much.

If you really want to play the game for the first time you should read this file. It's the best thing to do. Read it and play the game. only afterward read the rules completely. And don't try to finish your first game. Play it just to learn the basics and to get a general overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I know the feeling. But even I was able to play this game!

It's been a while, so cannot help you with the specific details but as we played Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War this weekend -which is also a (simpler) card-driven wargame- I can tell you how we approach these new ones.

First you read the rules. You just read them. Do not try to memorise them all, because rules at the back do intervene at the front of the rulebook, so just try to get a grasp of what the game is like and how it's played. It helps to have the map open so that you can refer to the map when examples are given. Skim the detailed rules in regards to all the alliance states and all, these you need to know later on but not now. Finally read the sequence of play again. It will make more sense now.

Set up the game. Deal the cards and try to play a few turns, while refering to the rules. This is a slow process. But it will help you to grasp the mechanics.

Now it's a good idea to read -all- the rules again. Mark what you clearly missed or forgot or should pay attention to.

Set up the game again. And agree with your opponent to play a certain amounts of turns again after which you will start over. (Unless both players want to continue) You will see that again you missed a few rules (mark those while playing) but things begin to fall into place.

After this trial game, I usually read them all again. And often there's still some more that we've seem to have played wrong. But those are usually the more detailed/specific ones...

In several GMT games there's also a "play examples" booklet included. Can't remember if that is the case for PoG. But you might also be interested in reading some of the reviews and session reports here, after the first reading of the rules.

I do remember that I liked PoG a lot, and I wish that I could play it again. So I'm certain that you will like it as well. No need to be afraid of the learning curve. It's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
angst wrote:
Howdy!

That was till a couple of weeks ago when a gamestore here in Sweden offered to sell their used PoG to me for ~€30. I thought that sounded like an acceptable price and bought it. Today I picked it up at the postoffice.

Well I paid 50€ for mine at FLGS, so I can tell you had a good bargain!
... or maybe I had a very bad one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
After you've finished the rules and are trying something out, you might wanna take a look at my detailed After Action Report, describing a play card-by-card and move-by-move.

And as you have probably noticed by now, the Geek always supplies prompt answers to any Qs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for some great recommendations. That guide looks really good and helpful. Will try to get that printed.

Hopefully this game will give us many enjoyable hours :)

Regards
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric's guide was interesting. I've never played and have long been interested. But the same things that concerned me upon reading the rules also concerned me here: 6+ pages of Exceptions/Fine Points. Nearly half the document.

No way I'm remembering them. No way I'm even thinking to check for them when they come up in the game.

Is that how one learns Paths of Glory? First couple of games without these details. Over time, I reread the rules and start including the special cases as I remember them. Must be it. Sounds frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to watch a couple of games. If you don't know people who play it locally, join a game or two on acts.warhorsesim.com as a spectator and follow along on your own board.

You should also download the FAQ (on Consimworld) and the latest Living Rules (from gmtgames.com). Some minor points have changed since the game was first published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing, I found it really helpful to set up and play through the detailed example at the back of the rules. The comments from the designer really helped me to understand some of the strategies involved. More of the "why" things were done, instead of just "how".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:
If you really want to play the game for the first time you should read this file. It's the best thing to do. Read it and play the game. only afterward read the rules completely. And don't try to finish your first game. Play it just to learn the basics and to get a general overview.

Playing their simulation helped but every turn I kept asking myself "Why are they doing this? How did they do that?", but theres really no alternative.

The OP should read Eric Brosius' teaching guide (It's short and really helpful), play out the two turns in the players guide then read the book. Don't feel overwhelmed, the actual core rules are only like 5 pages and the rest covers Near East stuff and special rules for the special units and cards that come later. You shouldn't worry about that stuff this early anyway.

You mentioned you picked up a used copy, make sure you have the updated rules, besides being clearer the rules are more concise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent deal, glad that you were able to get your hands on this great game. I hope you snagged the updated 2004 version.

Playing online is always an option as well. I am currently playing a game through the online system, Zun Tzu. If you would like to play sometime, drop me a message and let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.