Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Gahagan
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Has this ever happened to anyone. There were 4 of us playing, we have played many times before, but this time, we all seemed to be using power plants that required the same resources, and we kept running out of resources. We hadn't made it to step 3 yet, so only had a choice of 4 power plants, which couldn't improve our hand, so only the lowest one was being replaced each turn. We had lots of money, but felt it was worthless to continue buying cities, because even though we had power plants that would power them, we couldn't buy enough resources to power the plants. Each of us were only powering about 1/2 of our cities each turn. We ended up quitting the game!!! I believe if we had kept on into step 3 it would have changed, because of the better plants, but as many times as we have played, we have never not had enough resources turn after turn before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It seems so strangely ... realistic! You all want the same fuel and you run out. Gotta diversify!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens, and has happened to our group several times. When it does, you have to start looking into alternative energy sources. The players who adapt to a fuel-starved market the best usually win.

If you keep getting money, you may want to try to build up whatever little resources you can, powering as little as you can, then end the game and power the most to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was getting interesting. The decisions were getting hard. arrrh So you quit? surprisesurpriseshake

This is a game of tough questions. Do I buy that plant? Which plants do I buy fuel for? Which cities do I build? Do I build cities or hang back for turn order? It's not just a game of buy what you can buy. What did you play afterward, Candy Land?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
mgahagan wrote:
Has this ever happened to anyone....

This happens, or threatens to happen, often -- especially in coal. Not as much as it used to because we've become more adept at reading the resource demand. The 31 card (3 Coal --> 6) can look like a great game finisher but if you're in competition with a lot of other players for coal, it could break you.

In the game you describe, if someone had dumped their most resource intense coal plant for Garbage or Nuclear, they would have been able to earn more cash than others, spent less on resources, expand their network faster and possibly turn out a run away victory.

When deciding to buy a plant, add up the total demand for that resource around the board, including the new plant and minus the plant you'll be replacing (if it's the same type), look at the resource replenishment table and if the demand is > the replenish rate, don't buy it. Advanced strategy here is to consider whether a new Step will improve or hurt that ratio. Also observe if any of the other players' plants are going to get replaced soon. Sometimes, if everyone has low efficiency oils that they need to upgrade soon, buying a high efficiency oil that unbalances the market will encourage them to replace their plants quicker, leaving you with cheap oil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule number 1: Whenever everyone else is buying coal-fired power plants, do not buy a coal-fired power plant.

Rule number 2: See rule number 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Gahagan
United States
Charlton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The game was getting interesting. The decisions were getting hard. arrrh So you quit? surprisesurpriseshake

This is a game of tough questions. Do I buy that plant? Which plants do I buy fuel for? Which cities do I build? Do I build cities or hang back for turn order? It's not just a game of buy what you can buy. What did you play afterward, Candy Land?

We actually quit because we were running short on time - -had to be somewhere, but all agreed to just quit rather than finish the game later. But Candy Land?? You are too funny!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
did you indeed ditch 4 power plants before the start ?
with those plants in the stack, the game drags on for as many as four rounds before the step 3 kicks in.

indeed this can be a very interesting way to play the game.
take back the throttle, save your precious resources for one turn, And when you ar able to build out to end the game, and use your saved fuel to burn all your plants that final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The possibility you run out of resources is an intentional feature of the game - not a bug, not a mistake.

Either diversify into other plants (to buy more plentiful resources) or don't buy as many houses (to buy resources before they run out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Kappos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to ask something just to make sure we play the game the right way:

If there is not enough coal cubes (when we have them all stored on the plants) to resupply the market according to the numbers, do we leave the market as it is?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Greywind wrote:
If there is not enough coal cubes (when we have them all stored on the plants) to resupply the market according to the numbers, do we leave the market as it is?

See:
rules note in phase 5 bureaucracy wrote:
If there are not enough resources left in the supply, that resource is not fully re-supplied!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
You resupply the market with as many coal are left.

You could also suggest to the coal hoarders that they stopping hoarding coal ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.