United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My RSPer thread is towards the bottom of the first page, so I guess its time to move on. I'll still respond if anyone cares to post more.

If not, time for Moshe to step to plate.

I like Moshe a lot. Seriously, I'd really like to have him by for drinks and dinner, which is more than I can say for a lot of you, since there would be restraining orders involved. He's well-spoken, even if I often don't agree, and his tongue is often deeply in his cheek.

Moshe is extremely Jewish. This involves all sorts of rules and guidelines and wacky stuff which is pretty much diametrically opposed to my own Pagan beliefs. Yeah, I know, it's not technically a religion, but, wow, not my cup of tea. And I like tea.

But there is ONE HUGE thing about Moshe that rubs me the wrong way.

He's a vegetarian.

Good G-d (that's for you, Moshe), as if you don't have enough rules to live by being Jewish, you throw vegetarian in? Well, I guess since bacon is off the list, might as well go whole hog.

Here's some starter Qs for our farily recent newlywed:

1) What the hell is "Whac3"? Really.
2) If you could eliminate a single religion from the world, which would it be and why?
3) If you could eliminate a single restriction from Judaism, which would it be and why?
4) How many languages can you read/converse in and which is most useful?
5) Which ST Captain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Whac3 comes from initials for a "name" I don't use anymore but which my family would know me by. No, I'm not saying what it is. The 3 is because my father and grandfather used a similar name.
2. Druidism. So much of the ancient culture of northern Europe cannot be understood because we know nothing about the religion of a deeply religious culture; it's frustrating for those who study and love ancient history.
3. Checking vegetables for bugs. I don't see well and so my wife has to do it. Before getting married, I just didn't eat certain vegetables unless I could buy them pre-checked. Still, this lets my wife do something in the kitchen. devil
4. To be honest, I really don't know how many languages I can read and understand. My bookshelves probably have a couple of dozen languages I can read, but I have encountered plenty more I can comfortably read. For example, I can read Old Norse (Old Icelandic) but the Eddas are too expensive to buy. French has by far been the most useful.I can only converse though in about a half dozen.
5. Kirk. I grew up on original series. Archer is no. 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
No, I'm not saying what it is.

Cop out. I was really hoping since you wouldn't say in GotW that it was something only suitable for RSP. Now I see you're just being a weenie.

whac3 wrote:
Kirk

Chris Pine thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A long overdue choice.

1. So, in the past, I have gotten the impression that you are, if not a fan, an appreciator of Slayer. As someone who is obviously heavily immersed in your Jewish culture, how do you feel about the song Angel Of Death? Also, does Jeff Hanneman weird you out with his Wermacht, if not Nazi, fetish? He doesn't actually sport Swastika's or anything, but has had the odd-SS symbol on his guitar and other WW-II era German insignia. As anyone who read my posts knows, I am not a Slayer-basher and I am not trying to make you defend anything. The truth is, Slayer makes me unconfortable at times and I think that is part of their deal, to explore that which is uncomfortable without actually glorifying it or condoning it. Jeff though, he makes me wonder.

2. Do you have any impression that there is a growing anti-science bias in the Jewish faith as there seems to be in the Christian faith?

3. Your go-to brew?

4. Your go-to game?

5. If London get's an NFL franchise, how far behind is Jerusalem?

6. Best Sci-Fi book you have read recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:
No, I'm not saying what it is.

Cop out. I was really hoping since you wouldn't say in GotW that it was something only suitable for RSP. Now I see you're just being a weenie.

Sorry.Only my mother is allowed to call me it and so I am not putting it on-line.
Quote:
whac3 wrote:
Kirk

Chris Pine thoughts?

The actor from the new movie? It's hard to say. That movie so trashed everything Trek that even watching it on the plane on the way home from visiting family after my wedding (and the associated euphoria) cannot redeem the movie. I wanted a movie about the early says of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, one that used the Star Trek canon and did great things based on it-- like Enterprise did apart from its finale. Instead I got a ridiculous load of crap no more well thought out or scripted than a Terminator movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you post in RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
3. Checking vegetables for bugs. I don't see well and so my wife has to do it. Before getting married, I just didn't eat certain vegetables unless I could buy them pre-checked. Still, this lets my wife do something in the kitchen. devil

Why thank you so much, dearest. Guess I'll leave supper entirely to you tonight then. Better get started...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Axis & Allies, is there a successful strategy for Italy that doesn't make you feel like Germany's pawn? Where you are actually taken seriously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
A long overdue choice.

1. So, in the past, I have gotten the impression that you are, if not a fan, an appreciator of Slayer. As someone who is obviously heavily immersed in your Jewish culture, how do you feel about the song Angel Of Death? Also, does Jeff Hanneman weird you out with his Wermacht, if not Nazi, fetish? He doesn't actually sport Swastika's or anything, but has had the odd-SS symbol on his guitar and other WW-II era German insignia. As anyone who read my posts knows, I am not a Slayer-basher and I am not trying to make you defend anything. The truth is, Slayer makes me unconfortable at times and I think that is part of their deal, to explore that which is uncomfortable without actually glorifying it or condoning it. Jeff though, he makes me wonder.

I have only heard limited Slayer on the radio or recordings dubbed by a friend. I have never seen the band and so did not know. I don't recall Angel of Death. I am leery of anything that smacks of Nazi fascination because, although my direct family was not in Europe at the time, the Shoa is still a very personal issue.
Quote:
2. Do you have any impression that there is a growing anti-science bias in the Jewish faith as there seems to be in the Christian faith?

My impression is that it is decreasing steadily. There is still a bias in some areas because of pogroms supposedly "justified" in the name of what was then regarded as "science". As more and more don't regard "science" as something in the name of which people are being murdered, the distrust of it is fading away.
Quote:
3. Your go-to brew?
Guinness
Quote:
4. Your go-to game?
chess
Quote:
5. If London get's an NFL franchise, how far behind is Jerusalem?
Here "football"is not the American kind. I don't think American football has any fan-base here whatsoever. I could be wrong though; I'm not a sport fan, although playing can be fun now and again.
Quote:
6. Best Sci-Fi book you have read recently?
Recently? Oddly The Time Traveler's Wife. My wife recommended it and so I tried it. A very different take on time travel and well thought out and planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Recently? Oddly The Time Traveler's Wife. My wife recommended it and so I tried it. A very different take on time travel and well thought out and planned.

Translation:
My wife made me read Time Traveller's Wife, which kind of sucked, but since she's actively reading this thread, I can't say it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Geosphere wrote:
He's a vegetarian.

Good G-d (that's for you, Moshe), as if you don't have enough rules to live by being Jewish, you throw vegetarian in? Well, I guess since bacon is off the list, might as well go whole hog.
On the ferry from Japan to China, I met a Jew who was strictly Jewish and vegan. Traveling East Asia! To be absolutely sure to not get polluted, he also didn't eat vegan food from restaurants that cooked non-vegan food. Wow, he didn't have much to choose from. Also, there was some kind of special day, so he couldn't eat wheat, but ate his own barley bread and refused beer, although he really really wanted some. I tried to convince him that beer is also made of barley and thus ok, but he waited until that day was over, and then we could toast together. He was my favorite fellow traveler on that boat; it's nice with people that live for something more than hamburgers.

Anyway, Moshe, if things go "your way", where would the bulk of the Palestinians live 10 years from now, and what would be their status?

A) They'd move away from their present locations to live in present-day Egypt/Jordan, as Egyptian/Jordanian citizens.

B) They'd live in a separate, independent Palestinian state encompassing roughly what they control (or are supposed to control) today, with Palestinian citizenship. ("Roughly" meaning that you can grab Eastern Jerusalem and where settlers live today and some more, if you wish.)

C) They'd live in an Israeli state, as citizens.

(Basically the same alternatives as the 1-,2-,3-state solutions but with different borders - especially in the 3-state solution A) above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
kaec wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Why thank you so much, dearest. Guess I'll leave supper entirely to you tonight then. Better get started...

Oh wonderful! Another RSP wife! My wife can't stand much of my RSP conversation as her head tends to explode. How do you feel about RSP and Moshe's interaction therein?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I have only heard limited Slayer on the radio or recordings dubbed by a friend. I have never seen the band and so did not know. I don't recall Angel of Death. I am leery of anything that smacks of Nazi fascination because, although my direct family was not in Europe at the time, the Shoa is still a very personal issue.

Ahh, I see. Just for information's sake: The song is about Josef Mengele, and really paints him an inhuman butcher and explores some of his barbaric actions and thinking. Some have used the song to mark Slayer as Nazi's, but at worst it is insensitive to the people killed by using their deaths for shock value. There really is no way to take from it a feeling that they are condoning the action at all. Since they write songs about serial killers and war and so on, death is a common theme, when they aren't bashing christianity, and almost every such song explores the subject from a horrific point of view, not a "Go forth and emulate" vibe. In fact, another good song "Behind The Crooked Cross" tries to explore how the average German soldier came to grips with what they were doing (the song concludes mostly denial).

Edit: changed best to worst

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Translation:
My wife made me read Time Traveller's Wife, which kind of sucked, but since she's actively reading this thread, I can't say it here.

Actually, I was surprised, because he's reread a couple of sci-fi novels since then, so could easily have listed one of those.

Anyway, this is RSP. Is it normally that tactful over here? I might actually take part more often if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Moishe on being chosen!

From your posts I've picked up that you're a particle physicist or at least extremely knowledgeable on field itself. Is this the case?

If so, what do you hope is discovered by the LHC? What do you think will be discovered by the LHC if it's different from the first question.

Have fun as RSP Geek of the \Delta t
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
kaec wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Oh wonderful! Another RSP wife! My wife can't stand much of my RSP conversation as her head tends to explode. How do you feel about RSP and Moshe's interaction therein?

It's very interesting, but most of the topics are things I'd rather discuss either in person (which we do, and very occasionally that does affect Moshe's responses, I think) or not at all.

Plus, you know, if I'm going to disagree with my husband (sometimes), I'd rather keep it private!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
Congrats Moishe on being chosen!

From your posts I've picked up that you're a particle physicist or at least extremely knowledgeable on field itself. Is this the case?

If so, what do you hope is discovered by the LHC? What do you think will be discovered by the LHC if it's different from the first question.

Have fun as RSP Geek of the \Delta t

I started as an experimental particle physicist, but drifted into theory. This is especially because I fell in love with geometrodynamics right before starting grad school. I look at geometrodynamics as an alternate way of formulating the Euler-Lagrange equations that allows one to retain the non-linear aspects. In principle therefore it can be applied to anything. That is the bent my research has been taking.

LHC should test the Higgs mechanism,specifically observe or not the Higgs boson. I'm among the minority of physicists who think that the Higgs mechanism just involves the vacuum itself, not another separately observable field/particle. So I don't think it will be observed, but the whole point is to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Why do you post in RSP?

I started because, while I love board games, I want more substantive conversation than just talking about games. The latter is fun too, but I could never be the stereotypical geek that can only talk about games. RSP lets me get alternate view-points of grown-up topics of conversation without leaving the house or throwing a party.

I continued for the same reasons and because it is mostly a pleasant forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
So I don't think it will be observed, but the whole point is to see.

If it isn't observed, will there still be those shouting that the method was wrong and we just can't figure a good way to properly observe it yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:

Anyway, Moshe, if things go "your way", where would the bulk of the Palestinians live 10 years from now, and what would be their status?

If I had my way, the "Palestinians" would wake up en masseand realize that electing leaders bent on genocide and encouraging them to spend money we and many others give them for food, medicine and necessary infrastructure on weapons instead is a really stupid idea.They would then demand their leader genuinely come to the negotiation table without demanding we capitulate in everything first. We (Israelis) and the "Palestinians" would then negotiate a plan whereby we could all live in peace without kicking anybody out of anywhere. Whether we then call it one state or two, I don't care.

Our ancient naviim ("prophets" but very different than want that usually connotes in English) say that in the end, our people will control the land completely. Such things will tend to themselves. I fear that if I will to see that happen, our people here will have been attacked again and a terrible war ensued. I want my children to grow up here safe and at peace, neither hating nor being hated.
Quote:
A) They'd move away from their present locations to live in present-day Egypt/Jordan, as Egyptian/Jordanian citizens.

B) They'd live in a separate, independent Palestinian state encompassing roughly what they control (or are supposed to control) today, with Palestinian citizenship. ("Roughly" meaning that you can grab Eastern Jerusalem and where settlers live today and some more, if you wish.)

C) They'd live in an Israeli state, as citizens.

(Basically the same alternatives as the 1-,2-,3-state solutions but with different borders - especially in the 3-state solution A) above)

All of these alternatives ignore the underlying issues. The conflict here is not a monolithic us vs.them fought over land or religion. Until and unless the UN, US and EU figure this out, their efforts here will continue only to make matters worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

If it isn't observed, will there still be those shouting that the method was wrong and we just can't figure a good way to properly observe it yet?

Yes, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Yes, of course

Sounds more and more like a/theist debating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere;

Basically if the Higgs boson is not observed, then those like myself who think the vacuum serves the function get a shot and convincing the rest of the physics community. If we explain the empirical data consistently and correctly then the consensus of scientific opinion will swing our way. If we can't, then somebody will come up with some alternate explanation. Science is a process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
In Axis & Allies, is there a successful strategy for Italy that doesn't make you feel like Germany's pawn? Where you are actually taken seriously?

Not really, but then I think A&A-- in all varieties-- is best as a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the RSP'erOTNSD status,

I went trough your game ratings to find fault and rub your nose in you bad taste, but unfortunately it is very similar to mine.

So on to the good stuff:

1. Worst movie you ever saw?

2. Do religious beliefs differ at all from non-religious beliefs?

3. When will someone finally come up with something better than democracy? Will it be the Chinese?

4. Best single play (of a game) ever. Most worthy experience counts, not what game it was. And please explain why.

Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.