Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play FTF I normally alternate the card draws between players but when using Vassal normally one player draws all their cards before the other player which led to an interesting situation where one player was able to draw the last 6 cards of the deck which had a few key cards that I knew were left in the deck whereas if we had an alternating draw it would've left some uncertainty on who would get those cards. Is there a standing etiquette on card draws - alternating or just have one side draw all of theirs pryor to other side drawing. What do you guys do that play via Vassal??

Thanks,

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card Draw Etiquette
I don't know about VASSEL etiquette, but alternating draws are actually part of the rules, with the Soviets always getting the first card from the draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Card Draw Etiquette
Vassal etiquette should only say one side draws before the other when playing PBEM (to save time and files going back and forth with only 1 card drawn at a time). If it is an online game, you should do them 1 at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we did to alleviate this was to link up online for card draws to alternate selections then go back to PBEM for the rest of the turn. Same process used when playing Washington's War as well.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the deck is about to run out, the Soviet player takes the remaining number of cards coming to him (if there are 7 cards left, draw 4). Then send the file back. The USA player draws 3, then reshuffles discards and gets the rest of his hand. Then USSR gets the rest of their hand and resume play.

Its a bit cumbersome, but the end of the deck is an important strategy point, so its important not to flub on this.

I see no added benefit to alternating actual card draws, provided each player gets the right number of cards from the right deck.

The caveat is that you have to know how many cards are in the draw deck as it approaches the end. There have been a couple times I have to play with the file before actually creating one, in order to fake-draw enough times to know what the number is....but you can usually be aware of when the deck is going to exhaust itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chester,

Good points.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.