Subject: HH expansions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
hi guys

just thought id ask if they did any expansions for the first edition of HH and whether or not any one knows if this game if going to get any sort of after release treatment as i know FFG tend to put out many expansions for games, and my box couled do with being filled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
There were no expansions to the original GW Horus Heresy game.

I agrre that there are plenty of room in the box to add some nice expansion components. I could do with a new board and new cards to fight the battles at Istvaan or Calth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know much about Warhammer - do other great battles in the WH40K universe feature the same units that appear in HH? If so, all you'd need is a new board to recreate other epic combats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske the younger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well honestly there are several major conflicts during the HH that could be represented using this system.

They could do it probably with added loyalist/traitor battle specific order cards, a pack of battle specific events, legion disks for the space marines, a few new additionaly units for a given battle, and a board.

With all that additional material they would either be doing big expansions, or just releasing standalones using the same system. either way i like the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
i think ive seen others say that new boards would make for good expansions. and it would probably only take perhaps a new hero or 2 and a new type of unit to keep things that bit more fresh.

wouldnt every new battle need a new event deck to?

new boards could also use the same forts and factorys and could possible add a new building type.

but it sounds to huge and un realistic for an expansion.

espetially after seeing the creatures and dragons 3 figure epansions for battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Given the big box treatment and the fact that HH was a "trilogy" game of sorts, I think FFG will be doing expansions for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The units do not change for the next 10 000 years... So yeah, feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
while writing my own comment you pretty much said every thing i wanted to in yours above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
you mentiond some sort of trilogy brian.

what trilogy do you speak of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSutcliffe wrote:
you mentiond some sort of trilogy brian.

what trilogy do you speak of.

If he is talking about the GW trilogy, then HH, Battle for Armageddon and Doom of the Eldar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Haynam
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd like to see anything but Istivaan. Everyone keeps talking about that battle but... why? The battle of terra was a closely fought thing that could've gone either way. Istivaan was most certainly not that.

If there's going to be an expansion, I hope they do one of the Armageddon battles. There are some good imperial and chaos/ork heroes in the first and second battles there.

Getting outside the original trilogy of GW games, the battle for mccraggee would be interesting.

Granted for any of these you'd need new minis and componets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hindupushup wrote:
I'd like to see anything but Istivaan. Everyone keeps talking about that battle but... why? The battle of terra was a closely fought thing that could've gone either way. Istivaan was most certainly not that.

If there's going to be an expansion, I hope they do one of the Armageddon battles. There are some good imperial and chaos/ork heroes in the first and second battles there.

Getting outside the original trilogy of GW games, the battle for mccraggee would be interesting.

Granted for any of these you'd need new minis and componets.

If they do one of the Battles for Armageddon, it'll be a standalone boardgame. The same probably applies to any other battles. If they do make an expansion, it'll probably just be a small box one like Crown and Glory was for Warrior Knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time seeing an expansion for this game, although I am sure if there is a way it will get done. The Horus Heresy is a singular event in a very rich and detailed 'history' of the 40k universe. Since the game was created as a two player 'epic' wargame, with all four chaos branches as well as four space marine chapters represented, what else could be brought to the table? Were there other players in the battle? Doesn't the board represent a large amount of Terra already?

If the trilogy thought plays out, I can see a second two player wargame put out, perhaps the Eldar vs Dark Eldar, the Tau Vs. Necron (Although these are recent additions), etc, that have their own big box release. While each is a separate game, they would use the same engine and each new game would have rules that helped integrate all the forces into various 'what if' battles.

Maybe there will be ways to create new campaigns for the Base set, with new units/combat options. That might be a possibility.

Hmmm... have to think on this a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Given the big box treatment and the fact that HH was a "trilogy" game of sorts, I think FFG will be doing expansions for this game.

I also imagine that. There were three great wars on Armageddon, one between empire and chaos, and two between Empire and Orcs. By making an Armageddon Map and an ork race they could add a lot scenarios. Furthermore, they could add a "historically incorrect" three player scenario on armageddon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see an expansion that has 10 hero models...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Appley award winner, 1984
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the expansions go the way of more factions - Orks, Eldar, 'Nids etc. Throw in a board, cards, units...could be like a boardgame for Epic 40K. I'd like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
I'd like to see an expansion that has 10 hero models...

Id like that too. They could all even be the same sculpt, just different colours and I would be happy.

If there is an expansion for HH I think that there may be another faction or two included for each side, to go with the general "What if?" feel to the game.

The Sons of Horus feature in the "historical" version of events so I can imagine a set of black Chaos miniatures being included that could be swapped out for one of the existing factions (the Thousand Sons being the obvious choice as they dont appear at the seige at all in the canon).

Similarly, while the Dark Angels, Ultramarines, Spce Wolves etc were all doing their own thing at the time of the siege I could easily see those chapters being included for the same reason that the Thousand Sons were: for fun.

If some extra Event cards that were themed around those forces were included to go with some scenarios also themed around them then that would be the bones of an expansion right there.

I cant think what valid board could be included really, other than simply adding more Terran real estate.

I very much doubt that they would add a board that concerns itself with a different planet or conflict. I suspect that Armageddon, Iyanden and all the rest will be kept for seperate games, rather than expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Off the top of my head, I dont think that FFG have yet made a bg box game that didnt get expanded. Am I right?

(I am excluding Runewars due to its recent publication).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheetor wrote:
Off the top of my head, I dont think that FFG have yet made a bg box game that didnt get expanded. Am I right?

Middle-Earth Quest has had no info on any expansions for it either. MEQ was released in July/August 09.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ wasn't a "big box game".
And yes, all of thsoe had expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
MEQ wasn't a "big box game".
And yes, all of thsoe had expansions.

MEQ is a big box, just not epic box .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheetor wrote:

(I am excluding Runewars due to its recent publication).

Runewars and Planet Steam have no expansion. But Runewars was just released recently and for Planet Steam is one in the making. Each other epic box games has at least one expansion. Descent already has 7 (4 normal, 2 campaign, 1 questbook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for a decent expansion, theyd need to replace/add less than 50% of the bits for HH. otherwise, may as well be a new game. thinking of it this way, unlikely to change/add completely new races - youd needa new board for the ne battle, new cards etc etc, and then youre into new game territory.

much more likely to be new heroes (primarchs) with accompanying legion discs, double sided boards, small numbers of new units for existing sides, small numbers of new combat cards/order cards. most of these would be to fit current stuff into separate conflict.

so with these sorts of assumptions (thats all they are tbh) likely to be heresy based battles, which could have swung either way. so Prospero, Calth, Caliban, battle for Mars, or even some more generic maps for general 'tournament' style play.

so there are my thought processes for this, hope they make some kind of sense i dont have any of the previous big boxes, but id expect the scale and content of their expansions would be a good guide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skatingtortoise wrote:
for a decent expansion, theyd need to replace/add less than 50% of the bits for HH. otherwise, may as well be a new game. thinking of it this way, unlikely to change/add completely new races - youd needa new board for the ne battle, new cards etc etc, and then youre into new game territory.

Actually, 50 % sounds about right. And now that they are doing 80$ expansion (Fury of the Bear). I don't see a problem here. And besides the board, the heroes and the event deck, none of the material becomes obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
i have never played war of the rings but it seems to look the closest game to this one components wise, and i belive they made an expansion for that game.

i also belive that the expansion is a new board and almost new game in its self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.