Popular Tags: [View All]
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thank you for taking the time to check out this post. I'm a huge Magic nut who drafts constantly and is always cooking up new and exciting ways to draft. Below are the rules for a format I created and named the "Cascade Draft".

A Cascade Draft can support any number of players. Each player brings to the draft three 15 card packs. While using smaller packs can work, 15 card packs create a perfect five rounds (If anything leave in the lands with the newer packs). Then ALL the packs are blindly shuffled into one large Draw Pile which all players will draw from.

A Cascade Draft takes place over 5 rounds in which each player receives 9 cards a round.

ROUND 1: Once the Draw Pile is ready, each player draws 5 cards into his hand (there is no turn order here, feel free to dive into the Draw Pile without restraint). Then each player keeps one of the 5 drawn cards and discards the rest into a mutual FACE DOWN discard pile. Once everyone has drafted a card, ALL players will repeat the process 8 more times, at which point the Draw Pile will be exhausted and each player will have 9 cards.

ROUND 2: Now shuffle up the discard pile and create a new Draw Pile, this time however; each player will only be drawing 4 cards as they go through it.

ROUND 3-4: Repeat the above process drawing only 3 cards apiece, and then 2 cards apiece.

ROUND 5: Deal out the remaining cards to each player (at this point they will be horrible leftovers, but who knows... you might get lucky).

What is exciting about this draft format is that many of the cards will remain a mystery to the players involved; you may see the same card round after round while another player hasn't seen it once. Also it will be a lot harder to tell what colors others will be drafting.

Well that's it. I would love any feedback from anyone brave enough to try out this way of drafting. Who knows you may just like it as much as we do! Plus, don't forget to check out my post on another draft format: Market Draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snot King

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolute genius. Going to try this the next time I have a CubeFightNight. Thanks for the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.