Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered why the pigs in Agricola are called "wild boars" or "wild pigs" when it's clear that they're not wild. They're sitting in my pastures, not roaming the Black Forest! It occurs to me this might have something to do with some peculiarity of the German word Wiltschwein. Any Germans out there care to enlighten me?*

Thanks!

* If you know the answer, it is not actually required that you be German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does indeed translate directly to Wild Boar, same as Villsvin in Norwegian. Doesn't make them "wild" though :) If that's the reason for the naming, I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Vasquez
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
100% Pure Colombian Geek
badge
Colombia is waiting for you, would you take the risk? (Video in my profile)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild boar is the name of the specie you can see the article in the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar

I had a similar question before but it was why the hell I'm farming boars and not pigs? Aren't pigs a more farm animal?

Then I read the article I post before and I understand it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schlichting
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

a "Wildschwein" lives in the forrest. Have you ever read Asterix and Obelix ? "Wildschweine" are caught by them.

"Wildschwein" in English is wild boar. Maybe the intention is that you have go to the forrest, get the boars to domesticate (or to eat) them.

Greetings from Hamburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if you have the Forest Pasture Minor Improvement, then you can set your Wild Boar to roam the Forest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until very recently, pigs would have been allowed to roam free in the forest because they are adept at finding their own food there, they were very low-maintenance animals. Pastures were reserved for grass-eating animals like sheep and cows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the UK the right to let your pigs roam in the woods was called pannage, one of may common rights such as turbary, the right to cut peat, estovers, the right to cut woods, piscary the right to catch fish. Commoners had rights on common land which belonged to the lord of the manor. The right generally went with property ownership, not as many people beleive to everyone.
Pannage was geneally occured in the autumn when the main target was acorns and beech mast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Quarry and Stone Carrier cards and you will see why it's Wild Boar, not pigs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.