Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Tornado Alley» Forums » Rules

Subject: Suggestions for theme-related changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been reading the set-up instructions and looking at the map, and this seems like it’s going to be a fun game. However, my wife and I think it could use some changes to better fit the theme, and make a better match to the way things are out in the real "Tornado Alley". I grew up in Oklahoma and spent a lot of time driving to and through typical small towns. My wife grew up in small-town Kansas and it’s all part of the same culture and the little towns are just the same.

Here are our suggestions, based on a century of combined experience with small towns on the central plains:

1) Most of these old towns grew outward from the city hall, so we would start building the town by putting the city hall on the red X, and use the d12 to work out the direction of the rest of the buildings. (The number on the d12 would correspond to the hours on a clock, with North at '12', NNE at '1', NE for '2', etc.) I would save the percentile direction table for controlling the movement of the tornadoes themselves. The vast majority of tornadoes move southwest to northeast, and the percentile table reflects this. I think the table could be adjusted a bit to make sure the tornadoes travel realistically, but that’s optional.

2) A population of only 213 for "Doomsville, Oklahoma" is way too small to be a viable agricultural community. We think it should be an order of magnitude larger, so 2,130 would be much more realistic.

3) There is no such thing as a "skyscraper" (as we know them) in a small town of that size. The tallest buildings would be about three stories, and nothing higher. One of the things that was left out of the description was "grain elevators", so we would substitute those for skyscrapers.

4) "Power plants" are extremely rare on the plains. I know of a nuclear one in the eastern half of Kansas and one coal-fired one in central Oklahoma. I would change power plants to "churches", since those were left out of the description. (Since most small-town churches have about 200 members, there should be several in a town of 2000+. Half will be Baptist, the other half will be a mix of Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, and non-denominational "Full Gospel" or "Bible Fellowship" churches.)

5) There are no "row houses" as such on the central plains, so we would change that to "family homes". There are usually neighborhoods of single-family homes in different parts of town. Plus, up to half the houses outside of town could be mobile homes, if you want to differentiate.

6) There are also no "factories" out on the plains. We would change that to "schools" because they are not always clustered together.

Some other things that are missing: feed store, general store, hardware store, tractor & farm machinery dealership, drive-in theater, the town diner.

Well, that's our two cents' worth. Feel free to comment and criticize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Couple of notes; I wasn't sure exactly how realistic to be. I like the idea of grain silos. I would probably not use churches for the simple reason I don't want to target any religious building (just as I woudln't use Synagagogue, Mosque, or Buddhist temple).

Skyscrapers is a bit of a misnomer; I am thinking of only 2-4 story buildings (of course in teh game they will all look the same). I didn't want to get into every single building type. These essentially represented buildings containing apartments or businesses.

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I just uploaded the remaining rules and other tidbits; hopefully it will be approved soon and you can see them. I think it will make you feel differently on using dice for percentile movement.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
An addendum to my previous post:

7) There's no real "suburbs" in towns that small. Generally, you have a dozen or so named streets running east/west and north/south (based on the section lines), with a business district that is only 2-3 blocks long. Once you go over the edge of town, you're in farmland, and the switch is rather abrupt. I would suggest keeping the town center the same size, but maybe reducing the "suburb" area by one 'layer' of hexes, and renaming it the "residential" area.

Outside of town the farms are going to be spaced about one or two per section (square mile), so that is pretty sparse. The farmhouses will be of two types: small, two-story clapboard houses built in the nineteen-teens or -twenties; and single- or double-wide trailers on a foundation. Both will have cellars for storage and as a storm shelter.

8) There's always a main road through town, sometimes two if they are highways that cross. I would suggest having either an east/west or north/south (or both) road(s) that go through (or cross) at the "X" in the center of town. (Because Oklahoma is laid out in Sections, these roads will always run in compass lines, unless a river, hill, or other large obstacle is in the way. County roads will be on the edges/borders of the Sections.) No building may sit directly on the road either in town or out in the country, but the farmhouses will always be in a hex beside the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I use the word suburbs pretty loosely...

I thought about roads, but they don't really add anything to game play and then woudl restrict distribution of uildings, which is why I didn't go with them. Although it may be something I want to revisit if I team up with another designer on his game. His game uses roads and our combined game would need them.

I need ot get mine nailed down first before we try merging. His is based on storm chasing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.