Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was told at BGG 2009 that there would be a dedicated Tichu room at this years BGG con. Is this true? If it is, my return is practically guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am in full support of this too and just registered. If there is anything I could do to help make this happen or help run it, happy to do that too. I am particularly interested in it as a late night (say 10PM+ or 11PM+) thing but all day would be even better.

I actually even printed a sign to try to do this as a kind of ad-hoc thing last year but ended up distracted and not doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
By the looks of the last few years, every room is tichu room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
I'm confused...was there some lack of Tichu? Paucity of space or people?

'Cuz I saw plenty of Tichu played at all hours, and have each year I've gone.

If we're going to dedicate space to particular things, there are any number of games/genres/events that would be seem to be better candidates, as Tichu appears to do just peachy on its own...just sayin'. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:
I was told at BGG 2009 that there would be a dedicated Tichu room at this years BGG con. Is this true? If it is, my return is practically guaranteed.

Gosh I hope so. I also hope it has a good, strong lock on it. An outside lock specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the effort would be better spent organizing a Tichu tournament than a specific gaming location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
ELPsteel wrote:

Gosh I hope so. I also hope it has a good, strong lock on it. An outside lock specifically.

I like your disdain for Tichu about as much as I like Tichu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I believe we will be having a Tichu Tourney this year... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

How about at the Hyatt in 2012? Please tell me you'll have a Tichu room by then!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I see people playing Tichu in a room, does that make it a Tichu room?

FYI, I was offered to play Tichu about 6 times at this year's GoF... I think this game has legs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
I'm confused...was there some lack of Tichu? Paucity of space or people?

'Cuz I saw plenty of Tichu played at all hours, and have each year I've gone.

If we're going to dedicate space to particular things, there are any number of games/genres/events that would be seem to be better candidates, as Tichu appears to do just peachy on its own...just sayin'.

I'm going to have to both agree and disagree here. I agree that there was a lot of Tichu being played last year at the con. The problem though is that me and my friend would always find people already engaged in playing Tichu. We could rarely find people actively seeking a game of Tichu, and it's difficult to do so with no box cover to hold up. The only games we got rolling took some preparation, as we had to first meet people who play tichu, then figure out when they could be free to meet us, etc.

A dedicated Tichu room would solve this problem. All the Tichu lovers could be in one place, which makes sense for a partnership-based game. I cannot think of any partnership-based games that are as popular as Tichu.

A tichu tourney sounds killer though. I'm assuming/hoping that there would be no talking allowed at the tables whatsoever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:
A tichu tourney sounds killer though. I'm assuming/hoping that there would be no talking allowed at the tables whatsoever?

I will be running the Tichu Tournament with the same attitude I run the Poker Tournament and similar to how it's run at the Gathering of Friends - that is that we're here to have fun and that no endorsement deals ride on one's success. Making friendships with the opposing partnership will be highly encouraged.

I believe we have secured a sponsor for the tournament and so there will be prizes, but none so fabulous as to infer a level of seriousness you would associated with a televised chess championship.

Though it goes without saying, I'll say it anyway: cheating breaks the "here to have fun" rule, so I don't feel any need to place additional restrictions to guard against it - breaking rule #1 is sufficient deterrent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
As for a dedicated Tichu room - I don't know that we'll go so far as to set aside space, but having a location "generally known" to be a gathering spot will be feasible.

One of the challenges we as organizers face is not knowing how much space to dedicate. And we don't want to take on the logistical challenge of trying to figure it out and then enforce it, and then placate the complaints when we inevitably get it wrong.

One of the things that makes this convention work is its fluidity. As long as we know we have enough chairs to seat all the bodies, we don't have to worry about having the right mix of space to accommodate the 18xx'ers, the Wargamers, the Tichu'ers, etc. - everyone just seems to find the space they need.

We'll be doing some space reconfiguring this year (moving Hot Games room, etc.) and once that settles out we can decide where a good place would be for Tichu player finding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
90% of me going this year. And since now I know what Tichu is, I could spend the whole day playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thought Hammer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
I believe we have secured a sponsor for the tournament and so there will be prizes, but none so fabulous as to infer a level of seriousness you would associated with a televised chess championship.

I believe you've secured one as well ;-)

Alfredo
Thought Hammer
http://www.thoughthammer.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen Walsh-Esrey
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

And that is the final thing I needed to convince my boyfriend to come to BGG.con with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
90% of me going this year. And since now I know what Tichu is, I could spend the whole day playing it.

Excellent. We must play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
As for a dedicated Tichu room - I don't know that we'll go so far as to set aside space, but having a location "generally known" to be a gathering spot will be feasible.

One of the challenges we as organizers face is not knowing how much space to dedicate. And we don't want to take on the logistical challenge of trying to figure it out and then enforce it, and then placate the complaints when we inevitably get it wrong.

One of the things that makes this convention work is its fluidity. As long as we know we have enough chairs to seat all the bodies, we don't have to worry about having the right mix of space to accommodate the 18xx'ers, the Wargamers, the Tichu'ers, etc. - everyone just seems to find the space they need.

We'll be doing some space reconfiguring this year (moving Hot Games room, etc.) and once that settles out we can decide where a good place would be for Tichu player finding.

Thanks for the information!

I hope that it doesn't seem like I expect anyone to make special accommodations on my behalf - I was just told by a staff member last year that they were considering a "Tichu Room" for 2010. But yeah, even a "tichu player finding" location would be great - me and my friend tried last year to play Tichu whenever we weren't playing something else, so a way to locate other Tichu partnerships trying to do the same would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Toggy wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:

Excellent. We must play!

We need a fourth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Toggy wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:

Excellent. We must play!

We need a fourth.

This will be EPYC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Toggy wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:

Excellent. We must play!

We need a fourth.

This will be EPYC!

Hell yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Toggy wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:

Excellent. We must play!

We need a fourth.

ALWAYS BOMB THE DRAGON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Toggy wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:

Excellent. We must play!

We need a fourth.

ALWAYS BOMB THE DRAGON!

I'm da bomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
90% of me going this year.

Just make sure your brain isn't included in the 10% of you that's staying at home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark.gamer wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:
90% of me going this year.

Just make sure your brain isn't included in the 10% of you that's staying at home...

No can do. I lost mine many moons ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.