Popular Tags: the_world_is_not_your_ashtray [+] [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, I think people have a pretty good handle on the concept of properly throwing away trash to avoid littering. Sadly there seems to be one glaring exception to this rule: many cigarette smokers.

While I do not smoke, I have no problem with people that do. It is a decision I disagree with, but I respect everyone's right to choose for themselves.

But man alive it riles me up when I see people flick a cigarette butt out the window of a car. Why is this the only commonly accepted form of littering? They collected all over the parking lot where I last worked despite the constant barrage of company emails begging people to use one of the countless ashtrays scattered throughout the company grounds.

Seems you can't walk anywhere without seeing cigarette butts somewhere on the ground, even remote places like hiking trails. When I owned a motorcycle, I had cigarette butts land on my jacket on multiple occasions.

In short, I think this practice is lazy, rude and irresponsible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smokers smart enough to keep their ash tray in their cars clean would be smart enough to quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will get this...

I try to be carefull but sometimes I do throw a butt out the window...
Sorry...

But out of the car I use ashtrays, if none is found I will avoid smoking.

Besides I have a portable ashtray, I also smoke pipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. Why does this one specific form of littering get a free pass? If you have ever helped with a public cleanup, you know that the most common form of debis is the cigarette butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former smoker, I also agree. In my former life, my typical manner of disposal was to roll the end to get the smoldering tobacco off and then stuff the filter in my pocket to dispose of at a trash can later. It made my cloths stink but to be honest I already smelled like an ashtray so where was the harm. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bunch of butt-heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not as lenient on the miscreants who smoke as you are. I don't think they deserve any "right" to smoke and then litter afterwards. And don't get me started on the ones who dump their ashtrays out of their car onto the public parking garage floor.

Personally, I have no problem with extreme legislation against smokers which will make it so ridiculously offensive to smoke (huge fines for publicly flicking a butt [$10,000?] and difficulty in killing themselves with tobacco [must be outdoors and at least 500 yards from the entrance of any building [door or window] before lighting up). In this case, behavior modification through legislation is not only acceptable, it's necessary.

/end rant/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
In short, I think this practice is lazy, rude and irresponsible.

Except when it saves your life! Then it's completely understandable. Countless times me and my old crew of hunting buddies managed to escape certain death in the wilderness by following the trail of cigarette butts and beer cans back to where the truck was parked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Why is this the only commonly accepted form of littering?

I don't think it's commonly accepted . . . except by smokers who are generally headstrong folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoking can kill a man, but it can also cure a dead pig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a guy who will pick up your butt and hand it back to you and say "You dropped this." and then stand there as if "dropping" it again will result in large amounts of pain.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike litter of all types, not just cigarette butts.
I don't feel that smokers get a free pass on littering, rather that littering is a low priority in the US. My guess is that if you start looking, you will see many pieces of paper, plastic bottles, aluminum cans and various other waste material on the ground. It's not just the smokers.
And litter is something legislation could fix.
"Drop trash on the ground in this Southeast Asian city (Singapore), and you'll pay $1,000. You'll also get a "community work order," forced labor designed to shame people the government deems litterbugs. The result: Trash's life span is short."
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070318/26litter.h...
The article is several years old, but their laws have not gone lax since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP....stinky unthinking smokers!

I know a few that, at least around me, partially because of my complaining, throw their butts away. Score one for the nonsmokers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My standard response if I saw this while driving used to be to automatically flip the guy off.

My wife made me quit doing this as she was afraid I'd get shot at someday, but I can't help it. The best I could do to contain the conditioned response is to flip the bird below the dashboard, so the offender can't see it. A futile gesture, but it contains the response and, strangely enough, makes the wife feel better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying it is fair or reasonable, but as someone that smoked for over 10 years (I've quit now for 6) I can honestly say that flicking your cigarette is a fun and satisfying way to finish up the smoking experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I am not as lenient on the miscreants who smoke as you are. I don't think they deserve any "right" to smoke and then litter afterwards. And don't get me started on the ones who dump their ashtrays out of their car onto the public parking garage floor.

Personally, I have no problem with extreme legislation against smokers which will make it so ridiculously offensive to smoke (huge fines for publicly flicking a butt [$10,000?] and difficulty in killing themselves with tobacco [must be outdoors and at least 500 yards from the entrance of any building [door or window] before lighting up). In this case, behavior modification through legislation is not only acceptable, it's necessary.

/end rant/

Smokers and non-smokers have co-existed peacefully for a very long time. I see no reason why that can't continue given civilized, tolerant behavior from both camps. I game with smokers who make a point of stepping outside so that the second-hand smoke doesn't irritate those with asthma, sinus problems, bronchitis, or simply dislike the smell of second hand smoke. To require them to don a hazmat suit and scrub every smoke molecule off before returning to the game just because you might catch a whiff of smoke is ridiculous.
But the LAST thing I want to see is a "government legislation", demanding that people not be able to smoke in X, Y, Z....., particularly if the smoker happens to own one or more of those properties (X,Y, or Z).We're all in it together, and smokers, like it or not, have rights too. So do chewers, snuff users, people who like to drive gas hogs, people who do NOT sort their trash {ahem....me}, and yes, even Democrats. So I think it's just best to keep the peace than to sling mandates to force one group of people to do the bidding of another. I believe that would fall under 'bullying.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
My standard response if I saw this while driving used to be to automatically flip the guy off.

My wife made me quit doing this as she was afraid I'd get shot at someday, but I can't help it. The best I could do to contain the conditioned response is to flip the bird below the dashboard, so the offender can't see it. A futile gesture, but it contains the response and, strangely enough, makes the wife feel better.

I was stuck in gridlock traffic and saw some asshole flick a butt out the window. I came ever so close to getting out of my car to toss it back through his window but I realized that if he decided to get violent instead of learning a lesson my car was blocked in.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rogeracox wrote:
and yes, even Democrats...

Hey, let's not get crazy here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't even care about their own lungs, why would they care about littering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
There are laws against littering. We don't need an extra fine if the litter happens to be a cigarette butt.

However, I suspect if someone wrote just such an outrageous bill, Congress members would line up to vote for it, because they'll be able to sell it to the rubes back home for votes: "I did it for the children! This proves that my opponent who voted against it HATES CHILDREN!"

And liberty will die a little more.

RSP'd, y'all!

If we truly had liberty, I'd be free to tie you to a stake in the middle of Topanga Canyon during the dry season. Then you could see just how malignant certain forms of litter can REALLY be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I do an activity called "Trash Bashing". April until Nov or whenever there is snow cover we go out every Saturday morning and one weeknight and we pick up trash for four hours. The city has its issues so we are also goodwill ambassadors and we fill people in on events and city council activities, etc. There's a few apartment stoops that had HUNDREDS of cigarette butts around them. It only took one cleanup and a dialog with some of the people standing around. We never mentioned the litter... we just had small talk. We go back to that stoop... there's a large coffee can on the steps where all the smokers put their butts and a broom on the porch. Of course, there's still a handful of butts there from passing cars but the main contributors stopped. If there are fines for littering enforce them... I don't think we need new laws for specific things unless there are no laws already. ...and the best way enforce is to lead by example. Pick litter up right in front of the person that placed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
...and the best way enforce is to lead by example. Pick litter up right in front of the person that placed it.

I don't question your methods--it's clear from your anecdote that they work. But that's NOT leading by example. That's leading by shaming. Perfectly valid, and highly motivational in many instances. But the example that you're displaying is one of extreme tolerance for selfishness. My mother always referred to the behavior you've described as "killing with kindness," and though it served her fairly well over the years, I prefer to just leave off the kindness requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I completely agree. Why does this one specific form of littering get a free pass? If you have ever helped with a public cleanup, you know that the most common form of debis is the cigarette butt.

It's also one of the most TOXIC as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I used to smoke. I quit about a year ago. I never threw butts on the ground. Ever, not once. Being a smoker doesn't require you to be inconsiderate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
I used to smoke. I quit about a year ago. I never threw butts on the ground. Ever, not once. Being a smoker doesn't require you to be inconsiderate.

wmshub wrote:
Smokers smart enough to keep their ash tray in their cars clean would be smart enough to quit.

You have proven my point admirably, and passed the intelligence test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.