United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry I am posting so many question about rules these days, but I am in Italy, I am trying to teach ASL to myself and play some scenarios in solitaire, but I do not know anyone around here to consult about my doubts.
Question: In the third scenario of ASL SK1, the Americans win if the control 25 building hexes.
I am not sure I understand how control works then. I thought that to control a building a unit needed to be the only one in that building, and that control was "active"only as long the unit remained phisically there. In the scenario above, it seems that 15 american MMCs would have a hard time taking and defending 25 building hexes, unless, say, there was 9 of them in 3-hexes building.
Is this the way it works? Or is control kept also AFTER a unit left the building as long as another unit does not enter it? (I guess I am thinking of Tide of Iron here...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building Control

1. A player does not need to physically occupy all levels or all hexes of a building to control it

2. Player must have an unbroken unit in the building and no enemy units currently in it

3. The presence of enemy units may be verified by Mopping Up (I'm not sure if this is a rule present in ASLSK)

4. A building remains controlled by the last side to have solely occupied it (with an unbroken unit) or possessed it at the end of the scenario

Hope this answers your question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Control is defined... in the 2.0 Definitions:

Quote:
Control: A Good Order Infantry MMC gains control of the hex or building it occupies without the presence of an enemy unit. This is often required for purposes of victory determination.

SK3 adds:

Quote:
Not all hexes of a building need to be occupied for a unit to control a building if there are no enemy units in the building at the time a friendly unit enters the building. An AFV controls the hex it presently occupies if that hex is devoid of Good Order enemy units; control reverts immediately to its former condition when the AFV leaves the location.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that isn't explicitly clear, but once control is gained - it remains controlled unless the other side regains control... except for the case of the AFV noted in the SK3 rules...

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Scott
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
3. The presence of enemy units may be verified by Mopping Up (I'm not sure if this is a rule present in ASLSK)

ASLSK#1 does not include the "mopping up" mechanism, I'm not sure about the other sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Mopping up is not in the SK's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
1. A player does not need to physically occupy all levels or all hexes of a building to control it
I think there are no building levels in the SKs anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There could be a difference between controling a building or a building hex.

That difference exists in full ASL.

To be sure, I would say that, to control all the hexes of a building, the player must have been the last to have unbroken units in those hexes - and that would mean, in the case of a multi-hex building, that he can control some of its hexes without controlling all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for your help. My main doubt was whether control "lasts" after a unit has left the building. No that doubt is dispelled.
For a scenario where you need to control 25 hexes, I guess you leave a marker/token in the places controlled by a player? otherwise I guess it would be complicated to keep track of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About the control markers : they are not provided in the game, but you can easily make some.
To make things even easier, you only mark the hexes/buildings of the side that must gain control - the unmarked ones being controled by the initial controling player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.