Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw an article on Digg today mentioning a 3D printer sold by HP. Yes, it will set you back over $15k, but in time, I assume this technology will come down in price. This might be a decent business opportunity for someone to start selling the print files for miniatures, or selling the parts made from this machine. We have a 3D printer at work, and the material is pretty brittle, so I am not quite a fan of this technology yet. However, it is still a pretty cool concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kfritz wrote:
I saw an article on Digg today mentioning a 3D printer sold by HP. Yes, it will set you back over $15k, but in time, I assume this technology will come down in price. This might be a decent business opportunity for someone to start selling the print files for miniatures, or selling the parts made from this machine. We have a 3D printer at work, and the material is pretty brittle, so I am not quite a fan of this technology yet. However, it is still a pretty cool concept.

You can already sell your 3D designs and the physical miniatures through Shapeways I believe. And yeah, the materials seem a bit iffy - grainy surfaces or lacking detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been mentioned a few times in the past (like every time this subject comes up in a new thread ), but:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

"RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap can print those parts, RepRap can be considered a self-replicating machine - one that anyone can build given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend..."

http://www.thingiverse.com/

"This is a place to share digital designs that can be made into real, physical objects."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.