Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The most important centenial battle of 2010? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Marathon, that battle, plus the coming war with Persia and the series of battles Thermopylae/Salamis Bay/Platae shook the very foundations of this earth and allowed Western Civilization to mature and grow. "Few stood against many."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the BC battles have to be in the 91s, not 90s?

Edit: screwed up my math. Dang!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup just for daring to say "pound for pound"!!!

laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta be Marathon – in fact this year, if I can keep up with my training, I'll try to run my first marathon!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody (me neither) voted for calatafimi
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
Gotta be Marathon – in fact this year, if I can keep up with my training, I'll try to run my first marathon!


Where are you going to run?
I am going to run Dublin marathon in october. My seconf marathon.

Stig Morten
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Paolo Robino wrote:
Gotta be Marathon – in fact this year, if I can keep up with my training, I'll try to run my first marathon!

Where are you going to run?

25th Venice Marathon, at the end of October – the day before the Dublin marathon, actually! Hope that my running club didn't screw anything with the registration. Of the original 6,000 available registrations, there are now less than 1,200 remaining.

ad79 wrote:
I am going to run Dublin marathon in october. My seconf marathon.

Great! I really don't know what am I going into. I've never been that much of a runner, or an athlete in general, but I joined this running club earlier this year (led by a guy that ran 6 – or it was 8? – marathons already) that has the precise intent to train people to their first marathon. Let's hope to survive the experience!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marathon?

When the sack of Rome is in the list? Nobody knows what would have happened if not for Marathon, but my take is that little would have changed. But, the end of the roman empire in the west? That IS something!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Marathon?

When the sack of Rome is in the list? Nobody knows what would have happened if not for Marathon, but my take is that little would have changed. But, the end of the roman empire in the west? That IS something!
It is very debatable that Rome Ended in the west, but more to the point I doubt the sack in 410, was even close to a leading cause of the supposed fall of rome in 470s. Really it was a slow decline, well in my view, no single event, even Ostrogoth kingdom, was basically still Rome, roman traditions, political system and religion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Marathon?

When the sack of Rome is in the list? Nobody knows what would have happened if not for Marathon, but my take is that little would have changed. But, the end of the roman empire in the west? That IS something!


I can see your point as I was deciding between these 2...I came down on the side of Marathon as I figured that if the Greeks had lost there, then it could be argued that the rise of Rome might never have taken place, much less the sack of Rome...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Marathon?

When the sack of Rome is in the list? Nobody knows what would have happened if not for Marathon, but my take is that little would have changed. But, the end of the roman empire in the west? That IS something!

There are many key dates to the end of the Roman Empire but this one is certainly not one of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan R
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
How about Helsingborg 1710, Sweden confirms swedish rule of Scania against Denmark?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I didn't vote for "Sack of Rome" is that I view it as inevitable. They was in a sorry state, and if not "410 AD" it wouldv'e happened sooner than later anyway. In fact, didn't the Vandals resacked it 45 years later. This is all before Justinian conquered brought Italy under Byzantium protection.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rate Marathon 490 BC, Allia 390 BC and the sack or Rome by Visigoths in 410 AD as equally significant. Marathon because of a number of factors that have already been mentioned. Allia because it was a major psychological wound to Rome and one of the motivating factors to Julius' campaign against the Gauls. The Sack of Rome may not have been a big contributing factor to the decline, but it was after all the 1st sack in 800 years. It also had a very significant impact on how the emerging orthodox Christian Clergy viewed and interacted with Germanic peoples thereafter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.