Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Levasseur
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I started looking at Descent over the last few days with my 2 brothers and we were gonna buy it, but then I looked at Runewars (that looks incredible!) and Runebound and I'm wondering which one would be better because we plan to play a lot of games and possibly buy expansions (I'll never buy all expansions for Runebound AND Descent : there are too many of them and that would hurt a lot! )
I understand that personal taste has a lot to do in the choice I'm about to do, but is there anybody who has played 2 (or 3!) of these games that could tell me which one he preferred and why? I read reviews but the choice is tough, especially since it's a one time buy and I probably won't buy the other two afterwards.
Most of the time we would be three to play.
thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bagley
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Runewars and Descent quite a bit, and Runebound once. I was not impressed at all with Runebound. On the other hand, I love both Runewars and Descent.

If you are planning on getting something + a few expansions I would suggest instead getting less expansions and get Runewars and the Descent base game. If you still have money get either one of Altar of Despair/Well of Darkness to get more plastic bad guys, or one of Road to Legend/Sea of Blood to get campaign rules for Descent. Runewars doesn't have any expansions yet,but if you find you like Descent you can get more/any expansions later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I haven't played Runewars yet.
Runebound is good but gets old very quickly if you don't get some expansions.
If you get Descent, don't get RtL till after you have both Altar of Despair and Well of Darkness. don't get SoB till you get AoD, WoD, AND Tomb of Ice. If you don't plan to get either of the campaign expansions, I'd recommend first- Altar of Despair, second- Tomb of Ice, and third Well of Darkness (cuz imo it adds the least new "stuff" to the game, though don't get me wrong it's still a great expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you NEED to get with the other players and figure out what type of game they want to play.
Descent=players play an individual questing through an adventure with no competition between players (competition only between all the players and the overlord player). An overlord works out a strategy, rolls dice, and plays cards for the "monsters".
Runebound=players play an individual questing through several "quickly resolved" adventures (hiring allies, gaining exp, and buying magic items) in an effort to end the game. Players usually never contact each other. Players roll dice for the "monsters".
Runewars=an area control game. Players try to achieve a number of dragon runes. Players sometimes never contact each other. Players perform auctions to achieve bonuses. "Monsters" are neutral units in uncontrolled areas that are either fought or negotiated with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three AND looking at your ratings, I think that you'd probably prefer Runewars, if you can swallow the cost for what you get. You get less for Runewars then Descent as for plastic and cardboard, but I think from how you've rated other games, that you would like Runewars a LOT MORE than Descent.

Personally I love Runebound, and hated the base game of Descent. It was too long for what it offered. Road to Legend made me fall in love with it though, as it offered much shorter dungeons and a way to have an ongoing campaign. I think our interests probably are not the same however looking at your ratings.

Based on that I'd say your first bet probably should be Runewars, and after that MAYBE the basegame of Descent. I think you might not like Runebound (I've been mistaken many times, but a guess is that it's probably not your type of game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all three, but they are all very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.