Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just finished playing our first game, where the Imperials were able to run the clock out ensuring the win. At one point, the traitors were 1 damage point away from a spaceport victory, and at his weakest the Emperor was a mere 3 hit points away from an execution victory.

Considering how awesome that game was, I had to go back and make sure I didn't miss any subtle rule that might have swayed favor my way. After reading the rules a second time after that game, I'm almost embarrassed how wrong we'd misinterpreted some of the rules. Just wanted to share them here with you, so you'll know to look out for these mistakes when you play yer first few games.

1) a player may review a facedown order on the strategic map
as long as it belongs to him and is the top-most order in its stack.

Yep, this would have erased a few of those early mulligans.

2) When resolving combat cards, you first choose 1 non-free special
action from all card effects. if you have the requisite unit, then
you gain the benefits of that special action. (here, the passive
player can decide to counter the action by spending as many cards as
he'd like). Then, you resolve all the 'free' actions that the cards
give. After that, you total ALL the regular damage from all cards
played. Thats the total amount of damage the passive player has to
resist. When it comes to resisting regular damage, the passive player
can only defend with the same number of cards as the iteration number.
So if you can attack with 2 cards, I can defend with only 2 cards.
Also, you don't have to decide to use the attack number or the special
action. You get both. You only have to choose WHICH special action
you want to carry out, when playing several cards at the same time.

This really would have made a big difference. We'd played that for each card you can decide to either choose damage, or the special effect. This led to a lot of specials, without a lot of damage. This really shouldn't've been missed.

3) A defending force gains the full benefit of fortification only if
all attacking units must cross unbreached borders. if any such
borders are breached, the attackers total quantity of REGULAR damage
(note distinction for below) is reduced by 1, instead of 2.

I could have sworn the first time I read the rules, a breached region did not reduce damage at all.

4) During the draw order phase, you discard cards to draw new ones
from either the reserve or the deck. The only cards that go into the
reserve are ones that have the recycle symbol on them. The reserve is
only for cards that can be recycled. All other cards get discarded.

At the end of our game, we had nearly half our decks in the reserves. Obviously some wires were crossed.

5) Heroes are only considered units for movement orders, and for
purposes of routing and retreating. There's an example in the book
where the guy plays the sacrifice card, taking 1 damage to give the
hero a benefit. In the example, the hero has no supporting units, so
he cannot gain the benefit of that action.

Yup, even with the example explicitly in the rule book, we played it the exact other way.

6) In battle, if all attacking units must cross crevasses, the
defender receives the effects of fortification.

Not sure if this affected us in game, but since it didn't look familiar when rereading the rules, it was worth getting added to the list.

7) The "current player" is not identified until after the "resolve special phases step (if necessary)" and before the "action step" of the next round.

This clarifies which event cards affect which player, and what happens if you lose initiative during a coexistance battle. Definitely played this wrong! (Thanks Kevin and Anthony! Didn't even realize I got this wrong until reading your comments below!)

After playing the game so wrong the first time, I now can't wait to try it again correctly. This game definitely would have benefited from more in-depth player aids. In addition, I probably shouldn't have skipped over that wall of text of frequently overlooked rules on the last page of the rulebook. Oh well!

Note: edit 1 in this color
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Willems
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. Post-game reviews like this are really helpful, especially since reading the rules and playing the game are very different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the rules we played wrong the first time:

Attacking units do not actually move into the area they are attacking. They may only move in to the target area after combat and only if there are no enemy units left standing in said area.
(Playing this one wrong caused a LOT of coexistence battles in our game)

The "current player" does not actually change until the next full round begins even though the "change initiative" step comes before the Special Phases step.
(Playing this wrong caused every event card that said "The current player..." to go to the wrong player.)

We also played that when your units take damage, you assign that damage as you see fit. The actual rule is that the active player distributes the damage to the passive player's units as he sees fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevin9793 wrote:
The "current player" does not actually change until the next full round begins even though the "change initiative" step comes before the Special Phases step.
(Playing this wrong caused every event card that said "The current player..." to go to the wrong player.)

Quoted for truth.

This was resolved in the following way for us mid way through the game: In 1 instance, the change of initiative step occurred which changed the current player to me. There was then a co-existence battle. In the battle, my opponent played 2 "diversionary tactics" cards (the one where they push your initiative marker ahead 2 spaces).
After the battle, we argued about whose turn it actually was. Before the battle, he was ahead of me by 1 space. After the battle, I was ahead of him by 1 space. We'd resolved that the player-turn change can only occur during the 'change of initiative' step. So even though my initiative marker was further down the line than my opponent, since the change of initiative step had not happened since the last player chance, it was my turn to play an action at the start of the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting these rules. I am sure they will come in handy when my copy arrives on Monday.

Now I go back to (im)patiently waiting!

Prax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So even though my initiative marker was further down the line than my opponent, since the change of initiative step had not happened since the last player chance, it was my turn to play an action at the start of the next round.

That doesn't sound right, if he was ahead of you by 1 space, the co-existence battle could only occur after his marker passed yours and while he was the current player.

Quote:
(COI: Note that even when there is a change in initiative, the identity of the current player does not change until the next action round.)

You could only be the current player at the beginning of your Action Step phase and that could only happen if your marker was closer to the Start space than his.

It was a great move on his part to keep the current player status and give himself an extra turn or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmabuse00 wrote:

That doesn't sound right, if he was ahead of you by 1 space, the co-existence battle could only occur after his marker passed yours and while he was the current player.

Quote:
(COI: Note that even when there is a change in initiative, the identity of the current player does not change until the next action round.)

You could only be the current player at the beginning of your Action Step phase and that could only happen if your marker was closer to the Start space than his.

You know what, it looks like you're absolutely right! After rereading that section in the rule book, it clearly states what you're saying on page 15. So the COI occurs, starting the coexistance battle. In the battle, the opponent regains the initiative, so at the start of the next turn, he becomes the current player again. This is because the current player is not identified until after the "resolve special phases step (if necessary)" and before the "action step" of the next round.

Yet another misplayed rule! Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, even after reading this, the rulebook a few times, and other sources, we still misplayed some things in our first game.

1) We played it that the active player always took the first iteration of combat.

2) When all enemy units are destroyed or retreat from a battle, we did not move the opposing units into the area. This caused a game with very, very little movement.

Well, now we know and hopefully our next games will be much better.

Prax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, me and a mate played yesterday and buggered it up quite royally. Completely forgot about Activation markers, got totally confused about routing, screwed up the first few battles... most other stuff we coped with OK, but yeah... this is one confusing game first time around. Probably second and third time too, but I see it more as a learning experience - still enjoyed it, but next time will be better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.