Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys just wanted to update you on our progress with 1989.

We've made it to 408 pre-orders. Thank you! It looks like we will make the cut.

Rob Doane has made a VASSAL module for us. Looks great.

We are still going to use the wargameroom client for development because it's a lot faster than VASSAL, but that option will be there for playtesters that prefer PBEM.

We've decided to replace the battlecards from the Print and Play game. It was a fun system that worked but the new one will be at once more sophisticated and a bit quicker. We are shooting for a 2 hour playtime. We will also be making a couple changes to the strategy deck to incorporate the new battlecard system into some of the events.

Overall the scoring will be a bit less jumpy than the Print and Play, but still oscillating from Early Year Democrat advantage.through Middle Year Communist advantage then the Democrat closing very strong in the end game. We were able to fine tune the balance in wargameroom to almost exactly 50/50, and we expect we will reach that again in the new scoring system.

Jason is committed to rolling out Founding Fathers this Spring and doing some reseach as well so we will probably have a new playtest version in June or July(?) In the meantime you are welcome to stop by www.wargameroom.com to play the original version. Except for the battle cards the mechanics will be the same in the published game. Also you are invited to stop by the CSW 1989 folder to read my designer Card Notes and participate in the discussion there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:

I'm hoping GMT will announce a mounted board for this game. If they do, they will have at least one more pre-order =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Make that two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snico
France
LYON
Rhône Alpes
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Medical ProfessionalMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Tric Trac readerMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: I love Europe
Eeeville wrote:
1989Game wrote:

I'm hoping GMT will announce a mounted board for this game. If they do, they will have at least one more pre-order =]
I agree with you : they could have mine too ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls