Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Wargamer's Society rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most hilarious thing occurred today. Every year I go to the Gamer's club at my local university to sign up for membership. This year, I'm studying off-campus, so I got my g/f to go renew my membership.

As she approached the club's table, she was somewhat nervous. After all, in her mind, she attributes GAMERS to be all male nerds/geeks. I've tried to tell her over the year that gamers are of all genres. Small ones, fat ones, girls, boys, monopoly lovers, monopoly haters.

Her first shock was that she recognized all the games on the club table: Lord of the Rings RISK, El Grande, and Settlers of Catan. As she approached, all the GUYS on the club table ignored her. She waited for about 5 minutes before she butted in and asked if the club membership still offered a discount at a local gaming store.

She was somewhat embarrassed when the guy behind the counter stumbled around for words. A simple yes or no would do, but he was practically stuttering, not knowing what to say. Eventually he explained that they were still looking into it. My g/f then asked to renew my membership card, and the Gamer behind the counter had a shocked and surprised look. As he stumbled around for a membership card and took the membership fee, he couldn't remember how much my g/f had paid.

Now, I confess that I'm not a hardcore gamer. But to those out there, have you never interacted with the opposite sex before? Okay, maybe it was just that clubs guy behind the counter. It's certainly not the best way to attract females into gaming! LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint McElroy
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Perfect!
They're really living up to the stereotype, aren't they? laugh

Leave them be! Let 'em cuddle up to their copies of Memoir '44 and dream sweet dreams of victory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Females in gaming!
This is why when I was at uni I was always, every freshers fair forced to man (woman!) both the boardgaming/wargaming stall and the roleplaying stall. Having a woman on the stall never attracts more women to join. I don't think it even works to attact men....

The best way I have found to attact women into gaming is for them to be girlfriends of gamers. Worked in my case and in several female friends' cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge

Anson, you are so cruel . . . those poor geeks! But tell us, will your girlfriend be joining the society too?

Because Rachel makes a great point. Among my gaming friends, there are equal numbers of guys and gals. The gals do fantastically well, and everyone of them got into gaming at their boyfriend/husbands request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaylan Gray
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Females Gamers Want to Play Too!
I've been scratching my head for a while trying to come up with a balanced, PC reply to Anson's post about his g/f's experience at the Gamer's club table. Something along the lines of, "no, not all games guys are introverted, asocial geeks."

But heck, I just can't do it.

As a games girl, I see it over and over... And know what? Geeky guys who can barely stammer out a coherent word when confronted by a fair member of the opposite sex ARE JUST SO CUTE!!

Now, if only you'd actually invite us to play a game when we show up for games nights instead of treating us like we're aliens from outerspace disturbing the fine balance of your geeky inner sanctum. I can't tell you how often I show up at my games place and pretty much have to order some of you games geeks to let me play too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reply
Rachel: I was wondering if you were attracted to gaming because you were a g/f of a gamer? =)

Iain: Unfortunately, my g/f won't be joining the society. She feels completely embarrassed about playing those games with gamers. I'm sure the gamers would feel quite awkward as well. It's sorta like playing hockey and trying to check a girl off the puck. I'm sure if both parties persisted and treaded into the unmarked waters, they'll get used to it. But it'll take a lot of faith to get them going. LOL.

Kaylan: LOL about the CUTE part. I wonder if you take pleasure in torturing those geeks. Hahah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.